'04 WJ Runs Rough at Startup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '04 WJ Runs Rough at Startup

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Wj '04 WJ Runs Rough at Startup

My daughters '04 WJ Sport 4.0 occasionally when started will run super rough. She says it feels like it's going to explode. Most of the time you can turn it off, re-start it and it goes away. I suggested she put a can of Seafoam in the fuel to clean injectors. The spark plugs were replaced a couple years ago. Otherwise the WJ runs well. She just came back from college for XMAS and got 400+ miles to a tankful, so the engine is running efficiently as it has in the past.

Thoughts?

"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

I suspect the problem is electrical. If it was mechanical, the problem would most likely persist. Since turning it off and restarting seems to 'clear' the problem, I don't think it's plugs.

I had a similar idle fluctuation issue. Turning it off and restarting always smoothed the idle out, to a nice flat 550 rpm. I removed the throttle assembly and cleaned. Particularly the IAC valve. So far, so good.

Try the simple (and inexpensive) remedies first. It would probably be wise to install a new throttle gasket after cleaning. Don't over torque (and snap) the 4 bolts.

And don't rule out the Crank Sensor.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Upside
2002 WJ 

My 2002 4.0 does this on occasion. I've replaced my battery cables to solve a slow cranking issue and cleaned the intake. When the misfire happens it seems like either an injector or a plug isn't firing. I haven't checked the resistance on the coil or injectors since it hasn't happened in a while. I do run MMO in the tank now for better fuel mileage so maybe it was a sticking injector.

My driving is very consistent and I get 2 MPG better with the MMO. The mileage is apparently dependent on your specific Jeep and the fuel available in your area, some see an increase and others do not. I think the MMO just allows the computer to run more timing on our California fuel.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.