'04 WJ Door Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '04 WJ Door Lock

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
arkieoscar
1995 XJ Cherokee 

'04 WJ Door Lock

Just got this Laredo w/ 4.0. Still have my old xj with 447K miles.
Drivers door won't lock and there is a rattle in the door that sounds like a lock actuator rod. Can hear the solenoid clunk back and forth but it stays unlocked. Anyone know if there are any pitfalls to pulling the panel off and what I may need when it get it open?

arkieoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Fishmoose
2001 WJ 

Should be easy fix..Pull the panel off and weather membrane and have a look.There is a big hole already cut for you..

If is the actuator itself, it's an easy fix as well.Hardest part is to get the rods on..
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
arkieoscar
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the fast reply. I've never taken door panels off one and so I thought maybe someone who has could tell me if I'll need new fasteners and what kind of clip or whatever I may need to fix the loose hardware. Dealer is 30 miles away and I would like to get it fixed with one time of taking it apart.
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Fishmoose
2001 WJ 

http://wjjeeps.com/doors/doorpanel.htm
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
arkieoscar
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much. That's just what I have been looking for. I did a search here and on google but it didn't come up with this page.
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I would definitely buy some extra fasteners as they are quite fragile and mostly one time use. I used the P/N in the link above to purchase a box of 50 fasteners on eBay for $10. They are a bit under $6 each at the dealership, fyi.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
arkieoscar
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Schlotzky.
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

The lock actuator is connected as seen in this picture from the link:

No special tools are required. Yours either came loose, or that yellow plastic piece may be broken. I've seen those connectors on several vehicles, so it might be something you could get at an autoparts store, or if nothing else from a junk yard from most likely most Chrysler products.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.