04 rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 rattle

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
JEEPASAURUSREX9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

04 rattle

Hi Guys, I have an 04 grand cherokee laredo freedom edition. Since day one ( purchsed new ) it has had a rattle coming from the back end. in the first 5 k miles on it it kept getting worse, I checked it out and found the front shocks blown out ? so I replaced all 4 with ranchos. it reduced to noise but it was still there, brought to dealership told the writer what the problem was and what I had done and 2 days later they tell me it's because of the aftermarket shocks. Thanks for nothing. So as the miles progressed the noise seems to be consistent. I have replaced the rear sway bar with an addco unit now. I think the noise has to be inside the body ? I have pulled everything out that I could that may move or rattle, I made sure everything was tight underneath, suspension , etc. I cant find anything loose ??? any ideas, after 104k miles it's still driving me nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

JEEPASAURUSREX9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

Do you have a hitch
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
JEEPASAURUSREX9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
Do you have a hitch
Yes but there is no draw bar in it, it's a 2" receiver, no pins rattling in it.

I just drove it a little while ago and if I were to narrow down the area it would be mostly coming from the drivers side rear corner, but it also comes from the passenger rear corner too, just not as loud. It doesnt have to be a hard bump or anything either,
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

i dunno... so in the first 5k miles both front shocks were blown? maybe u shouldve gotten this checked out 95k miles ago.
Unread 07-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
JEEPASAURUSREX9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
i dunno... so in the first 5k miles both front shocks were blown? maybe u shouldve gotten this checked out 95k miles ago.
I did , repeatedly by the dealerhip while it was under warranty and all they could tell me was it was because of the aftermarket shocks, which I knew back then it wasnt ! I gave up on the dealership when they told me they had their best tech on it and that is what he came up with. and they charged me cause they didnt find a problem other than that, which was never the problem. ughh.. I have thought of replacing all of the bushings in the suspension, but the noise seems higher than that ? almost like it's in the body ? but could just be traveling ???
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
JakeWJ
2004 WJ 

Check out wjjeeps.com and scroll down to find the sway bar section. It talks specifically about the Addco upgraded bar, and says that you should use a washer (not supplied with the bar) between the sway bar and end link to prevent clunking.

Try it, could be a cheap fix

http://wjjeeps.com/swaybars.htm
JakeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Most aftermarket shocks DO rattle unless you pull the sleeves out of the original shocks to mount them. I'm not sure why you didn't just get this fixed under warranty when you had the chance, instead of modding the Jeep and eliminating all chances of getting any warranty coverage.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #8
JEEPASAURUSREX9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I upgraded the shocks to ranchos, because the oem ones left alot to be desired. The noise was there before I replaced the sway bar, but I will check it out, maybe I solved the original problem and dont know it yet cause something else is rattling now. LOL. Thanks
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
ppiya123

could this be the a-arm? it's not the sway bar, stabilizer bar, upper or lower shock mounts. the only place i haven't looked is the a-arm. the knock is noticeable even at 5mph along the slightest imperfection on the road and equally the same at higher speed.

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=SwayBar.mp4

Last edited by ppiya123; 02-25-2012 at 09:05 AM..
ppiya123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
ppiya123

ok. i have replaced all 4 shocks, sway bar, stabilizer bar, a-arm, a-arm ball joint, but i still hear a rattle. i have carefully checked the shock bushing and they are snug.
it's more noticeable when only one side of the car hits a bump. what could it be?
ppiya123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Sway bar end links.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

Ur jack under spare tire might be loose. Check it!
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The jack is supposed to live under the back seat, drivers side.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
The jack is supposed to live under the back seat, drivers side.
Perhaps they changed it later on, but it is under my spare. I speculate if you have a full size spare it goes under the seat, if you have a space saver it goes under the tire.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ah that must be it. Still worth checking, no matter where it lives!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.