JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   04 key fobs ??? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/04-key-fobs-1336829/)

skiebuster 03-01-2012 07:58 PM

04 key fobs ???
 
I have 2 2004 Grand Cherokees

one is a 4.0, other is a 4.7

within a week, both fobs for each GC stopped working.

I replaced the batteries in the 4.0....did not help nor does it unlock or lock.

I havent replaced the 4.7's yet but will later this weekend.

I was told by auto zone that the antenna could be messed up in my 4.0

antenna? where would that be located? and how do I fix?

BLACK04WJ 03-01-2012 08:04 PM

I'm not sure where it would be but I'm going to watch this thread.. I also have 2 2004 grand Cherokees one 4.0 and one 4.7 and don't know when mine will do the same thing.

skiebuster 03-01-2012 08:58 PM

this really sucks....

I am hoping my wires 4.7 needs batteries only.

The 4.0 is a Freedom and wondering how in the world to fix this..

lafacej 03-01-2012 09:09 PM

There isn't really an antenna in the fob but the antenna in the keyless entry receiver is located in the passenger side door by the window module. It should have a single wire coming out of it and that's the antenna. If you make it bigger you can get a better signal. I had the same prob.

kerno 03-02-2012 11:23 AM

The keyless entry module is attached to the inside of the right door panel and is a black plastic box about 5 inches long.

nhcd538 03-02-2012 11:27 AM

Having the same issue here on my 04...replaced batteries in my fob with two brand new, fresh ones and it will only lock or unlock if you're standing within a foot of the passenger front door. Odd.

jayward 03-02-2012 12:00 PM

mines been acting up too, but i figured it was just time to replace the batteries.... hope i don't have the same trouble... if i'm remembering.... it seems to unlock fine, but lock can be weird....

berndog67 03-02-2012 01:36 PM

so what is the length of the stock antenna, how long have u made it to get better range, and did u just solder on more wire or replace it entirely with a new longer wire

skiebuster 03-04-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lafacej (Post 13159035)
There isn't really an antenna in the fob but the antenna in the keyless entry receiver is located in the passenger side door by the window module. It should have a single wire coming out of it and that's the antenna. If you make it bigger you can get a better signal. I had the same prob.

how did you make the antenna bigger? what wire did you use?

sfjacks1 03-04-2012 06:23 PM

this may sound silly, did you check the ground wires inside the boots between the jeep and the door, i know it sounds crazy, but what if both ground wires in the d.s. and p.s. broke...i think that would cause the same issue
..good luck

HVACNY 03-06-2012 06:28 PM

Anything?you may have to sync your fobs again.

BLACK04WJ 03-06-2012 06:35 PM

I shouldn't have said anything on this post! my wife's isn't workin now on her 2004 4.0.. how hard is it to fix the antenna? it only works a foot away from the passenger door

HVACNY 03-06-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
I shouldn't have said anything on this post! my wife's isn't workin now on her 2004 4.0.. how hard is it to fix the antenna? it only works a foot away from the passenger door

Couldnt leave well enough alone,lol..A bad antenna is doubtfull for yours,mine did the same as yours right before the batteries died,it takes 2 (2016) coin batteries by the way.

BLACK04WJ 03-06-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVACNY

Couldnt leave well enough alone,lol..A bad antenna is doubtfull for yours,mine did the same as yours right before the batteries died,it takes 2 (2016) coin batteries by the way.

haha no I couldn't! alright I will try that tonight and see if it works. thanks!

lafacej 03-06-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiebuster

how did you make the antenna bigger? what wire did you use?

I soldered a new wire on. Just a stripped down 16 gauge wire I had laying around I think. Made it come all the way up to the weather stripping in the door. My antenna was almost broke off which was why I had bad range


The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.