'04 JGC Limited AC Blend Door Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '04 JGC Limited AC Blend Door Issue

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Wj '04 JGC Limited AC Blend Door Issue

Bought the Blen Dor replacement blend door's to repair my '04 JGC Limited with driver and passenger temp knobs. I cut out the access behind the glove box, but found that the far white knob that rotates what I believe to be the passenger blend door won't move. You can hear the motor try to turn, but it klicks as if the knob is stuck. The near motor and knob that runs the driver blend door works. There appears to be no access to the faulty motor and knob (farthest from cut access opening) without pulling the whole dash.

Thoughts?

"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
vegaseric
2001 WJ 

Did you do the recalibration process? The farthest knob would be the driver's side, right?

http://www.jgcparts.com/JGCParts_AZC_Recalibration.html
vegaseric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Here is the test: http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

Keep in mind that if the motor doesn't find the resistance for the door to stop, (in other words, fails) it will shut down that side until power is turned off and turned back on again.
Since you already have it cut open, put the blend doors and shaft in (if you haven't already) and let it calibrate, then run the test. Or, you can just power it on and change it back and forth from hot to cold. If the passenger motor doesn't move, a last ditch effort will be to unhook your battery for about 20 minutes, re-hook it, then start your car and run the dual blend doors from hot/cold.
I replaced my blend doors two or three years ago. Last month, I have had my car blow hot air on one side, twice in a month, and the only thing I could do was unhook my battery for a bit, and it went back to normal.
If the actuator motor for the passenger side doesn't work, it will require dash removal to replace that one. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
specia1k
2004 WJ 

For confirmation, the Driver and Passenger controls on the dash are as they seem, the drivers on the left closest to the driver, and passenger on the right? But inside the blend doors and associated actuator motors are opposite. The motor and blend door to the glove box is for the driver side, and the farthest blend door and motor that inaccessible (without dash removal) is for the passenger side, correct?
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by specia1k View Post
For confirmation, the Driver and Passenger controls on the dash are as they seem, the drivers on the left closest to the driver, and passenger on the right? But inside the blend doors and associated actuator motors are opposite. The motor and blend door to the glove box is for the driver side, and the farthest blend door and motor that inaccessible (without dash removal) is for the passenger side, correct?
Yes, that is correct. You can re-calibrate by just unplugging the batter for a few minutes and then connecting again. If nothing else, you should see the motor move a few seconds after reconnecting the battery. If it makes a full turn but the door is still capable of being installed, you will be fine for a while, you'll just have to re calibrate again after you get the door installed.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
specia1k
2004 WJ 

My problem is that I have a code 56, yet the passenger actuator motor tries to turn the blend door, but is unable to. I removed the door and the actuator will again try to I believe re-calibrate, but is unable to turn the white knob that connects the actuator motor with the door. Not sure what to do?
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by specia1k View Post
My problem is that I have a code 56, yet the passenger actuator motor tries to turn the blend door, but is unable to. I removed the door and the actuator will again try to I believe re-calibrate, but is unable to turn the white knob that connects the actuator motor with the door. Not sure what to do?
Sorry to say, but it SOUNDS like the motor is bad, or the gears inside the motor are bad. If that's the case, it is dash removal time. I don't personally know of any other way to replace the motor. You might try searching around to see if anyone has found a way.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.