04 jeep grand cherokee just dies - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 jeep grand cherokee just dies

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
cmberges

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold3n_8oy View Post
Dear cmberges, can you show me the picture of the Map sensor location ? My jeep a Grand cherokee WJ 4.7 2000. Thanks
Here are a few pics for you. It's in the front between the alt and ac unit. I tried to point them out the best I could. Hope it help. And the screw behind the alt, well, yea that's a fun one.

cmberges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

I got mine from the same place. 400 miles now, not a single hiccup.

Tim
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #63
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmberges View Post
Here are a few pics for you. It's in the front between the alt and ac unit. I tried to point them out the best I could. Hope it help. And the screw behind the alt, well, yea that's a fun one.

Thanks! Great and clear picture. I have same symptoms as your car but mine throwing P0108 code. Check engine light when warm, and off after the jeep sits at least 15-30mins. I dies when cruising at very low speed and the 2nd time it dies at a traffi light, rpm go up and down slowly. But it can be started up quickly but with the check engine showing up. A little rough driving n stall a little. Im trying to clean the map sensor and drive it for a 2nd chance. If still happen, will replace the map sensor and add new ground wires throughout existing ground..hopefully not a pcm issue.. Thanks
gold3n_8oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #64
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Cmberges, how do you remove the map sensor? I mean what tools can be used? I took off the air resonator box and thinking off cleaning the map sensor but after observing, and thinking i dont have the tools for that, because the space is very tight and didnt know what to use to loose the screws.. i ended up spraying only the connector sockets around there with electric cleaner..may be im goin to local mecahic to clean it for me..
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #65
MichaelS75
1999 WJ 

My 4.7 was experiencing the same exact issues. Turned out to be the plastic connector to the map sensor was broken which caused voltage issues. After taping it up really good and replacing the wiring, all is well again. I would HIGHLY recommend inspecting the wiring and such going to it before replacing the sensor itself.

I used a 25 or 20 torx bit, not sure which, and a 6 inch extension and slowly got it out with a ratchet. Be very careful and don't lose the screws like I did lol
MichaelS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #66
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS75 View Post
My 4.7 was experiencing the same exact issues. Turned out to be the plastic connector to the map sensor was broken which caused voltage issues. After taping it up really good and replacing the wiring, all is well again. I would HIGHLY recommend inspecting the wiring and such going to it before replacing the sensor itself.

I used a 25 or 20 torx bit, not sure which, and a 6 inch extension and slowly got it out with a ratchet. Be very careful and don't lose the screws like I did lol
Good for you. When i clean the connector, the 3 wire to the map sensor are kind of stiff hardened. Is it hard to change with new wires? I gotta try it. I think i gonna ask my mechanic to remove the map sensor as i am not sure if i can domit lol..

I just run the car for around 10km and have no issues. But few days ago when sh*t happened, i drove the car longer than just now. Tomorrow im going to add ground wires and clean the throttle. Hopefully all is well.

By the way, there is another issue with my jeep. When inside the cabin, holding to the steering wheel, i can feel a little rough vibration. But the rpm in the cluster is stable, maybe shake a little but hardly noticeable.. It vibrate more when i shift from N to Drive whilemstepping on the brake. But when the car run, the vibration is gone..wonder what it is...
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #67
cmberges

MichaelS75 is right about losing the screws. Good thing I had a magnet and an Ace hardware (LoL). He is also right about the bits but the one behind the alt is very tricky, I think I used a wrench and a torx bit. Slow and steady wins the race on this little baby. And I never cleaned them, I figured if I went to all that damn work getting these things out after 188,000 miles, new ones will be my best friend. My new 02 sensors will be in on Wednesday so hopefully that is the end of this thread once and for all.....;-)

Now if I can just get them damn blend doors working right...................the saga continues.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #68
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
MichaelS75 is right about losing the screws. Good thing I had a magnet and an Ace hardware (LoL). He is also right about the bits but the one behind the alt is very tricky, I think I used a wrench and a torx bit. Slow and steady wins the race on this little baby. And I never cleaned them, I figured if I went to all that damn work getting these things out after 188,000 miles, new ones will be my best friend. My new 02 sensors will be in on Wednesday so hopefully that is the end of this thread once and for all.....;-)

Now if I can just get them damn blend doors working right...................the saga continues.
My odometer is only 60.000km. But you are right, why not change the thing as it is going to last very long time as im gonna use mopar brand. But still im gonna fix the ground first and drive it until the map code show again, im gonna change the thing. It is expensive in Indonesia..$150 for the Map sensor. Hopefully it will fix my very poor mileage issue. Now im running 1ltr for around 2-3km...

If the map sensor issue fixed,ground wire done and the mileage still sucks, gonna replace all oxygen sensors...
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #69
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Found out that my ground wire to the positive battery terminal is loose. The mechanic who change new battery terminal didnt tighten the bolt... Jeep didnt die yesterday, it also doesnt show check engine.. I didnt have the time to clean the Map sensor. My mileage is very bad. Going to order Mopar map sensor from ebay. Hopefully it will save my bad mileage...
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #70
cmberges

So here is the newest update. PCM fixed the original issue and after getting the p1195-96 errors I put in 2 new upper 02 sensors. Now I FINALLY got a check engine light and it came up with a p0152/0155 errors but it runs and drives great.

One day I'll get this damn jeep fixed. Should I even worry about the 152/155 errors???????

Thanks
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #71
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
So here is the newest update. PCM fixed the original issue and after getting the p1195-96 errors I put in 2 new upper 02 sensors. Now I FINALLY got a check engine light and it came up with a p0152/0155 errors but it runs and drives great.

One day I'll get this damn jeep fixed. Should I even worry about the 152/155 errors???????

Thanks
Good to hear that..what o2 sensor do you use? Im planning to change new mopar map sensor, if mileage still no change, then going to change new o2 sensors. Gonna use Denso sensors since they have been making o2 sensors for mopar jeep.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #72
MichaelS75
1999 WJ 

Well figures but the problem is back I guess a bunch of electrical tape can't fix everything. Next step is to head over to a pick n pull and find me a connector and fix this once and for all. Good luck to you guys!
MichaelS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #73
cmberges

OK so I think I figured out the p0152/55 errors. I'm an IDIOT. There were so many choices for sensors I ordered the wrong damn ones (I ordered the downstream when I need upstream). And yes the difference in plug should have raised a red flag but I "made them work" and guess that was a wrong choice. Looks like I have spare downstream sensors now. ;-)
So now I ordered the correct ones and well see if that helps (it should).

Someone shoot me..........................................
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #74
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

Brother, don't beat yourself up over it. With the way auto parts are sold nowadays, sometimes you just never know.

Good job finding the issue, though!

Tim
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #75
cmberges

Well new o2 sensors in (the right ones) and its still idling at 1g-1500. Everything on the jeep sensor wise is new and it ran fine until changing the o2 sensors. Reset the pcm over and over but still no luck. Could the PCM be the issue still. It's a lifetime warranty so........................

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.