04 jeep grand cherokee just dies - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 jeep grand cherokee just dies

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the info. Useful tools indeed.

1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #47
cmberges

Ok so here is an update. First off I would like to just say im sorta a DUMBA$$. got the new computer and was like hey, that don't look like the one I have. Turns out I took out the "TCM" instead of the "PCM". Now I know the difference.

So put all the new parts in and hooked the battery up and she purred like a kitten, almost....... Only had time to let it run for about half hour and nothing went wrong at all. I renewed my AAA so I have towing before I take any nice long joyrides but I'm hopeful that this did the trick. Now before I said it "ALMOST" purred like a kitten here is what I mean. It started fine, but then started to idle a bit funny. I'm not good at explaining so I made a vid for those that want to look. It revs fromm 1G to about 500 and just keeps doing it. It does it sitting in gear, or in park. Drives just fine but the idle is funny and it never did that before the new computer. As you watch it seems like im pushing the gas but im not doing nothing but filming.

I'll test drive it more and update once more if the problem is truly solved. Next is the blend doors, that will be fun..........LMAO 12 pack and power tools, what could go wrong?

So any suggestions on the idle thing please let me know.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06eBX...ature=youtu.be
cmberges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #48
cmberges

OK so took a joy ride tonight and no stalls...... YEAAAHHHHHHH
But now the idling is an issue. I was stopped and it was idling fine then ramped up to 2G (almost hit the person in front of me), pushed the brakes as hard as I could and then it just went back to normal. Came home and it idled weird off and on but never died. The 2G idle thing scared the poop outta me though.

Hmmmmmmm
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #49
new2site
2002 WJ 

Maybe you damaged or knocked off a vacuum line installing your PCM or reinstalling your TCM.....do a visual check and then if necessary go buy a cigar and do a vacuum smoke test.

Or pick up a can of starting fluid and spray around vacuum lines etc...and see if your idle jumps up at a certain spot(leak).

new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #50
cmberges

yea I took a lot of stuff off so I'll look around tomorrow. So it sounds like a vacuum leak and not the new PCM? And I have starting fluid, where would I start spraying? I assume the vac lines are under the thing that says "4.7 L blaa blaa" around were I put the new idle sensor thing, right?

OK I need to go to bed.

Thanks again guys, I'm going to kick this problems a$$...... ;-)
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmberges View Post
yea I took a lot of stuff off so I'll look around tomorrow. So it sounds like a vacuum leak and not the new PCM? And I have starting fluid, where would I start spraying? I assume the vac lines are under the thing that says "4.7 L blaa blaa" around were I put the new idle sensor thing, right? OK I need to go to bed. Thanks again guys, I'm going to kick this problems a$$...... ;-)
Yeah, they connect to your throttle body, and one or two run all the way around and under your battery to the T-connector and connect to the vacuum thingy behind the passenger side headlight.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #52
cmberges

OK so I sprayed almost every hose and nothing happened. Also no codes thrown. I have been driving around town all day in it and it still idles funny but drives great, no more stalling. Looks like the computer did the trick. Maybe it just needs to relearn something????? Took it down to the 4x4 shop and they said drive it till next week and see if it gets better because with a code its gonna cost me.....lol

I'll keep this updated but not sure what to do know except put some more miles on it. Got the new stereo in so I don't mind crusin around the town...:-)
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #53
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

You cleaned the IAC valve up, right? Can't recall...

Tim
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
cmberges

No I put a new one in. New tcm (if that is the part above the starter), IAC, map, and pcm. It's running good except the idle issue. Yesterday after driving on the interstate (and it was hot out) I exited and came to a light, it idled really rough like it wanted to die (so I put it in "N" so it didn't) and then came home. When I got home I sat in the garage in gear and it idled fine so I'm totally confused at this point.
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
cmberges

So here is todays update.......................

I was working on the blend doors yesterday and the only thing I did was unhook the battery a few times and went I went to drive it guess what, no more idle issues. Runs like a top. But I did get some trouble codes (finally) and they are a P1195/1196 but I just replaced the 02 sensors not to long ago. Good thing they are under warranty so Ill just get some new ones but it looks like the jeep might be finally fixed, until the next issue.............LMFAO..............
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #56
new2site
2002 WJ 

Good to hear it....Sounds like your replacement PCM needed to be reset....BUT post back in a few days either way with current running status...curious about consistency.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
cmberges

I sure will. The new 02 sensors will be in next week so I'll put them in and keep driving. Ill update again later next week!
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #58
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmberges View Post
I sure will. The new 02 sensors will be in next week so I'll put them in and keep driving. Ill update again later next week!
Cmberges.. who did you get your pcm from? My mechanic is being a d-bag and doesn't believe that the one he ordered is bad. I'm just going to order another and get my money back from him.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #59
gold3n_8oy
2001 WJ 

Dear cmberges, can you show me the picture of the Map sensor location ? My jeep a Grand cherokee WJ 4.7 2000. Thanks
gold3n_8oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #60
cmberges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ01TJ View Post
Cmberges.. who did you get your pcm from? My mechanic is being a d-bag and doesn't believe that the one he ordered is bad. I'm just going to order another and get my money back from him.
This is where I got mine and its a lifetime warranty. Good customer service to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911292246...84.m1497.l2649

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.