04 Grand Cherokee shuts off while driving.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 Grand Cherokee shuts off while driving..

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
mike198932
2004 WJ 

04 Grand Cherokee shuts off while driving..

Hey guys, i'm Mike and new on here . I purchased an 04 Grand Cherokee or 'WJ' last week and something strange has happened to it two nights in a row now. I put the Jeep in reverse last night and it went fine and then when i tried to switch gears, it was almost like the transmission would not work. The car shut off on me and the 'check gages' symbol came up on the screen. I shut the car off through the ignition and started it back up and put it in drive and it went fine. Same thing almost happened tonight, i was a red light for a good 5 min or so and the Jeep was getting a little shaky and of course, shut off again. The 'check gages' symbol came up again and i did the same routine that i did the night before. My guess is that it is either the transmissin or the engine but i honestly have no clue. I also noticed that whenever it is stopped for more than a minute, it gets noticably shakier and the engine gets louder. It's surprisingly not the battery because it shows no signs of losing any electrical power. I'm going to take it to the mechanic that i bought it from tomorrow but if anybody has any idea what is going on then that definitely helps. I'm also paranoid about driving it in traffic again because it's pretty dangerous that it just randomly will shut off. Thanks alot.

mike198932 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Welcome to the forum. First of all you have an Inline 6, not a V6 engine

Do you have a check engine light or are there any codes being displayed? Cycle the key 3 times and leave it at run on the third time, and look at the odometer. If it says "done", you have no codes but check for anything like "P1234".
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

If you can only put it in 1st and Rev. when it happens. The transmission went into safe/or limp mode to avoid any further damage to the trans. But I have seen where the TCM messes up and its not the transmission at all. Its all electrical. Find out the code and look it up online before you take it to a shop. Some shops will tell you, you need a rebuild when all it is is a $35 TCM or wire connection that went bad.
BigE3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Hampster
2001 WJ 

I had the exact same issues when I bought my 2000 WJ V8. Mine shut off in the middle of a busy intersection during rush our...it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor or cam shaft sensor ( I replaced both)...that was 22k mile ago. Mine would shut off at random and would give no warning at all then randomly crank right up and go another couple of days before acting up again. Pull codes at Autozone or Advanced then research the symptoms of your code. Good luck.
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
02_limited
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster View Post
I had the exact same issues when I bought my 2000 WJ V8. Mine shut off in the middle of a busy intersection during rush our...it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor or cam shaft sensor ( I replaced both)...that was 22k mile ago. Mine would shut off at random and would give no warning at all then randomly crank right up and go another couple of days before acting up again. Pull codes at Autozone or Advanced then research the symptoms of your code. Good luck.
x2

I had the exact problem and replaced both sensors and all is good now.
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
motorhaith

sorry for bringing this up from the dead, but mine is doing it too... i have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo in-line 6 cylinder.
It started about 2 weeks ago. It shut off while I was waiting at a stoplight for about 2 mins. It started up fine and I pulled into a gas station and as I was slowing down to a stop, the engine shut off on me again. But I would be able to start it right back up. I had a check engine light and when i had it read at autozone and oreillys, it gave me P0455 and P0456 evap emission leak. Also, sometimes when I step on the accelerator, the jeep kinda skips half a second and then goes forward. So after talking to the guys at both stores, they recommend spark plugs and fuel filter. Seeing as how it hasnt been done on my car, i decide to get it and change out the parts in hopes that it will fix the problem. changed the spark plugs and fuel filter, car seems to run a little better now, no skipping that i can feel when stepping on the accelerator.
Just last night, I had to change out my battery because my car wouldnt turn over or start. I also notice that when my car is idling, it is around 500-600 rpms. Sometimes the car would shudder slightly and sometimes shut off.
This morning, while driving down a highway, I was going about 50-60 mph then I saw the tachometer drop to zero but I was still rolling. So the hazard lights came on, slowed down to a stop on the side/suicide lane and tried to crank up the car but to no avail. It sounded like it wanted to start but something wasnt turning. After about 2-3 min, I got it start and pulled into a parking lot. I revved the engine while parked and as soon as the tachometer reached 5000 rpms, the car shut off. I restarted the car and drove it back to a friends house and we heard a loud hissing noise under the hood.
We found out 2 hoses from the evap emissions control (we think, it was on the driver side close to the edge of the car) was dry rotten and was taped. I'm guessing the previous owner saw the leak and tried to do a quick fix. Well, lucky for me, my friend had some spare hose laying around and replaced them. Car didnt stop so far, (crosses fingers), but I think I might have to do what the two previous posters did too. Any ideas, or do you think that the evap emission control leak could've caused the car to stop?

PS Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to describe in detail. Thanks!
motorhaith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

most likely crank sensor or battery issues.

don't be afraid to start your own thread in the wj forum instead of resurrecting and old one.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
motorhaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
most likely crank sensor or battery issues.

don't be afraid to start your own thread in the wj forum instead of resurrecting and old one.
so would it be the same as a crankshaft position sensor or is the crank sensor something entirely different? i'm not auto savvy... Oh, we did change out the battery and checked the wires. So i don't think its that...
motorhaith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

I am going through the same thing...the only difference is that I'm not getting any codes or a CEL. It's started shutting off a couple of days ago and I had the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor changed. Seemed fine but it just cut off at a light. Really not sure what else to do. I read about the battery however there isn't any problem with it starting, I don't know what would cause the rpm's to drop lower than 1000 on an idle. Please help
wsrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

OK....I changed the IAC, TPS, crank and camshaft sensors. What seemed to help most was the "Purge Control Solenoid". Although I'm still getting some fluctuation I believe I'm in the right direction. I'm going to attempt to look for a possible vacuum leak. I will be sure to let everyone know if I solve this age old question.

Sent from the back seat
wsrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Mine did the same. My battery terminals were corroded and would not tighten down... I replaced them and my problems were solved. Search battery terminal replacement in the form.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.