04 GC Key/Chip Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 GC Key/Chip Problems?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
joetad
2003 WJ 

04 GC Key/Chip Problems?

My 2004 Jeep GC recently popped up with a dead battery. While trying to jump it and bring it back to life I had the following problem:

She would start normally but some sort of Auto-disable feature would engage after 3 seconds. Every single time. No problem starting and it would idle fine, then at 3 seconds it would just die. I would see the "No Key" lamp illuminated on the dash after it dies each time.

I researched the problem and several people mentioned that the chip/id in the key can go bad and cause this problem.

I have 2 sets of keys and tried both of them.....each with the same result.

There's no way both of my keys "deprogrammed" or went bad at exactly the same time. Is there? Is there some sort of reset for the Jeep or do I really just need to have both my keys reprogrammed?

Wondering if anyone else had ever encountered this problem and if there is a fix? I would really prefer not to have it towed to a dealership and pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed.

Thanks for your help.

joetad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
apstang50

My guess is that you may have an issue with the SKIM and not the keys.
apstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm with the SKIM module being bad.

I also don't think a key can deprogram. At least not a factory key. The aftermarket keys made to mimic a factory keys transponder code yes......

I haven't smashed a factory security key yet but when I run across one in the junkyard I want to. What I expect to find is a gridwork in the key. And the skim module sends a high frequency pulse and the key takes that pulse and reflects it back altered slightly.

But I could be wrong. But generally if it was battery powered they only last around 10 years. How many of you all have tire pressure monitors going dead now?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.