04 4.0 bleeding coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 4.0 bleeding coolant

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Krom

04 4.0 bleeding coolant

04 4.0 with 140k miles

Was under the jeep tonight changing out an o2 sensor (turns out I need a pigtail as a wire is broken right next to the connector on the harness side :banghead: ) when I noticed a few red drops on the front edge of the oil pan . Can't see the water pump weep hole, but noticed some red crusty stuff growing out the side of the thermostat housing...

How common is it for the housing to leak on these?

I'm prob going to replace the pump anyway, and do a flush (even though I hate taking off good parts) any recommendations for brands of punp that are good, or to stay away from?

Krom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

red? sure it isn't tranny fluid? your tranny cooler lines go by there.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

The water pump weep hole is on the underside of the pump housing, pretty close to the shaft. I could not see mine, until I removed the water pump.

The red you see could also be HOAT coolant, which is generally red in color. That is the spec-ed coolant for the '04. When I replaced my water pump, I also replaced the thermostat, the thermostat housing and gasket. Since I hate draining the system and spending money on coolant, I figured I would do it all at the same time. Actually, I also replaced the two radiator hoses and heater hoses while I was at it. And, the hard pipe that screws into the water pump.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

X2. I did the same to mine.
Brakeman62 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Did it smell sweet or like death?
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Krom

its definitely coolant. I was surprised to see it growing a red crystal out the side of the thermostat housing though.
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.