03wj front driveshaft spinning in 2hi. is this normal? help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 03wj front driveshaft spinning in 2hi. is this normal? help!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

03wj front driveshaft spinning in 2hi. is this normal? help!!

03wj i have a 242 selectrac. my front driveshaft is spinning in 2hi. is this normal? if not that would explain why i have blown my front differential, combined with putting some miles on it with an exaggerated pinion angle. i fixed the pinion angle 2 weeks ago but i may have already killed my pinion bearings. so much for wheeling in the rocky mountains the rest of the week. this really sucks. the upside is i get to rebuild my front diff with a locker! yea! also, i can rebuild my t case and make it bullet proof. AND, i will get to buy some new craftsman tools. i love looking on the bright side. ron

[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]TO DO:[/B]
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

the front drive shaft always spins no matter what transfer-case mode its in, when in 2wd the front wheels turn it while they spin. its not like fords with locking hubs.

so go ahead on go wheeling. Have fun.

alos how long were you running with a bad pinion angle? and how bad?
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Is it spinning with tires off the ground or did you just notice that every part of the driveline spins when you're moving?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Are you planning on rebuilding your front dif yourself?

If so, you may want to rethink that. It is a job that requires an assortment of specialty tools, and is a job that if you even slightly install something wrong, you will be back to square one buying a new R&P and master install kit.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

2x on the , Its normal operation for the front D.S to rotate in 2h while rolling down the road.

Aussies all the way around, Nice! you will love it. As far as the 242, I would just keep and eye on the fluid level and when you are locked front and rear try to wheel with it in full time 4x4 as much as possible until you really need to lock the case Up for extra traction. (Part time 4x4, and 4.low is locked) When In full time it acts like and open diff axle, much less stress on the case is what I Am thinking , and I know there is less binding on turns off road when locked front and rear. But as far as 242 upgrades, I do not know. I did get a new chain before the install on mine.
My 242 has held up well with 33's locked F/R and the 5.9
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

it spins when in 2hi when up on jackstands. so i am assuming something is wrong. i only asked to confirm that there were no clutches or something that made that situation normal. i just rebuilt my rear end and everything turned out fine. i just replaced both pinion bearings and the trick was to reuse the original crush sleeve and spacers. i was lucky though because i didnt have to do the gears. thanks, ron
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

NEVER reuse the crush sleeve.

Unread 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
NEVER reuse the crush sleeve.
Beat me to it!

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
it spins when in 2hi when up on jackstands. so i am assuming something is wrong.
If the driveshaft is spinning and the wheels aren't moving then yes something is wrong. If I had to guess, I'd think it was the spider gears...but it could also be the ring or pinion. Pop the cover and report back.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

There are no hubs on a WJ so of course the driveshaft has to turn. If it didnt you have trouble. Im with everyone else on the crush sleeve. Be prepared for your pinion to loosen up and it will start making lots of noises down the road.

NEVER reuse a crush sleeve. Even if its new and slightly overcrushed. Get another.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if you are on jackstands and the frt ds is spinning in 2wd, then yes I would say you have to have a tc issue. But the frt ds is always going to spin if the frt tires are turning.

Maybe your linkage is out of adjustment?? you are actually in 4wheel partime while your shifter is reading 2hi.

good luck
Unread 06-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Hed know it on the road if it was in part time. Unless he broke the front diff because of it already.

If the resistance in the front driveline is low enough I could see the shaft dragging the front output along at a slower rpm than the rear if you're getting on it. It will drag the output along with no driveshaft in the front.

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

well, i took the front ds out. the rattling is gone and i found where the rear pinion bearing is shot. that was causing the rattling that brought this all to light. also, i drove 160 miles and rechecked my mileage vs. with the front drive shaft in and i was getting only 12.8. now i am getting 17.5 which all but certainly confirms a transfer case issue!!! it had been in 4wd for 3000k. that explains about $1000 for gas so far and still have 3 days vacation and 1800 miles to go. ron
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

was it dragging/ hopping in turns? i find it hard to believe that for 3000 miles you didn't notice that it was in 4x

when it was on jack stands did the front wheels turn too?
Unread 06-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #15
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Poor Ron Pretty soon you'll have a new jeep won't you?
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.