03 GC Overland CD Changer... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
WJBeau
2003 WJ 

03 GC Overland CD Changer...

Has anyone come up with a good alternative for the CD changer? I mean come on...who uses CD's anymore??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 PM
zachb91

My fiancÚ does lol.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM
fastblack
2000 WJ 

My Laredo has a handy little cubby there that's great for tow straps, etc. I recall seeing a thread not to long ago discussing going from a changer to that cubby using junk yard parts.

On my Special Edition I used its wiring to add an aux in to the factory radio (I did leave the changer where it was).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
WJBeau
2003 WJ 

Yeah...that is what I think I will be doing. Removing the changer, tracing the inputs down and adding an inputsource for phone/mp3 source device etc.

When I get this done I will post the results.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 PM
zephyr424

A cd player is kind of like the new 8-track. I had a beautiful 68 GTO convertible and there was nothing more fun to do than light the posi rear up in first and second gears while listening to the stones on 8-track. Love the cd players (front and rear) in my jeep and of course everyone knows the audio quality is superior to other formats. Just add an aux input to the radio to play whatever you want on your phone.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBeau View Post
Yeah...that is what I think I will be doing. Removing the changer, tracing the inputs down and adding an inputsource for phone/mp3 source device etc.

When I get this done I will post the results.
If you go this route, be aware that you actually need a functioning CD changer for the modification to work. So you can't just remove it and wire up an auxiliary cord.

The factory radio needs to talk to the changer, determine a playable CD is inserted and playing, at which point you can hijack the signal with your other source of music and it will play through the radio.

What I do is keep one CD in the changer- it has 15 tracks at 5 minutes each of dead silence. The length of the tracks and how many was arbitrary. The reason for silent tracks versus just any old CD was that at low volume, I could hear the CD faintly through the radio even though I had my phone plugged into the auxiliary cord and it annoyed me.

If you still want to remove the CD changer, or if it doesn't work, you can still add an auxiliary input to the factory radio but it requires soldering onto the circuit board where the tape deck head signal is, and at that point I think you still need a tape for the radio to stay in tape mode.

2002 WJ Limited | 4.7 | Quadra-Drive | Inferno Red Pearl | Dark Slate Gray
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I think this guy has done it. I also did it and added a coolstream duo bluetooth receiver so your girl can play her songs as well. It was a simple enough but still time consuming install. I really wish they still sold the oem ipod adapter. I get a lot of feedback and engine whine on mine. Do you have this problem too shinywj?

Brian's Black Betty Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 08:53 AM
zephyr424

OEM Autosound has a nice digital card that plugs right into the factory harness, then into your head unit. Comes with a switch to turn the cd changer audio or phone audio on. Sounds great with no leakage, but you do have to run the CD changer in order for it to work. On mine, I also have to keep the phone volume on high so there is no static. They also have the Bluetooth adapter for wireless.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
WJBeau
2003 WJ 

Thanks for all the input guys!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.