02 limited AWD noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 02 limited AWD noise

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
imdave
2002 WJ 

02 limited AWD noise

Hey guys, if there is already a post about this question please let me know, I tried looking but couldn't find it. I'm trying to trade my civic for my dad's Jeep but the only thing holding him back is this problem he's having with it.

My dad has an 02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 full time AWD, and he's saying that there is a whining or howling as speed increases but not with the engine. At one point when he had it serviced, the dealership thought it might be the front differential. They also said that this would be common. Can anyone verify this and if so does anyone know what could cause this/fix this? Any help would be much appreciated.

imdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Abuse or lack of proper maintenance can cause a bad front differential. It could also be due to using the wrong fluid and there could be something wrong with the Varilok diff, although I don't think that would cause a howling sound. It could also be a bad wheel bearing. Whatever you find is broken, the fix is replacing the broken part. Might sound like a dumb answer, but maybe you should consider the question (what could fix a bad front differential? A new one!)

Best of luck. And I would recommend an independent shop over the dealer any day of the week. Dealer techs are all about doing warranty service on the new models and not about taking care of older out-of-warranty rigs. Their primary goal is to do the job as quickly as possible and it seems to me like they are just guessing at the problem. "It might be..." is not the answer you want from a professional tech. "It is..." is the answer you are looking for.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
sage39henry
2002 WJ 

My Wj did this when i had the NV247. Ive recently just swapped to a 242. It has nothing to do with your transfer case. The problem or noise your probably hearing if it isnt a wheel bearing is probably your pinion bearing in the front diff. Does it only do it while your foot is on the gas? Or Slowing down. Being the its "AWD" it always has a good amount of pressure on the Front DS when your foot is on the gas or when you are braking. Pinion bearing replacement is most likely something to take to a garage. Also check your CV boots for tears and what not. Good luck!
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
imdave
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage39henry View Post
Does it only do it while your foot is on the gas? Or Slowing down.
I hope I'm conveying this correctly. He said it didn't matter if he were on the gas or not, that if he were at speed and let off it was the same.

I appreciate the replies, I know the one question was kind of dumb, if something's broke, fix it! I looked into the parts for replacing the potentially broke stuff was only going to run me about $500-600 if I were to replace it all.
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You might also consider a used axle assembly. Granted you don't know for sure what you are going to get, but you can DIY an axle swap in an afternoon pretty easily and a lot of places offer warranties on their used parts. It's an option that is probably a bit cheaper and easier than rebuilding the whole front diff.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
XJH-007

[QUOTE=billzcat1;10038558] Whatever you find is broken, the fix is replacing the broken part. [QUOTE]

....that's like pure GENIUS.

So, by this Steven Hawkings thought process.....If the part is NOT broken, then that's NOT what's causing the noise?

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage39henry View Post
Being the its "AWD" it always has a good amount of pressure on the Front DS when your foot is on the gas or when you are braking.
This is incorrect. If your rear wheels aren't slipping, there is ZERO torque being sent to the front axle.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdave View Post
I hope I'm conveying this correctly. He said it didn't matter if he were on the gas or not, that if he were at speed and let off it was the same.

I appreciate the replies, I know the one question was kind of dumb, if something's broke, fix it! I looked into the parts for replacing the potentially broke stuff was only going to run me about $500-600 if I were to replace it all.
I would pull the front drive shaft and see if the noise continues.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
imdave
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I would pull the front drive shaft and see if the noise continues.
this won't cause any problems with the... well i forget the name of it, but the equipment that builds hydraulic pressure when the rear tires begin to slip?
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
sage39henry
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
This is incorrect. If your rear wheels aren't slipping, there is ZERO torque being sent to the front axle.
I dont think so.. but hey what do I know So if you put it on a high lift and put it in gear only the rear wheels would spin??
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

it's the wheel hub bearing!!

It's the wheel hub bearing almost for sure.

I have an 02 Limited GC (4.7) with Quadra Drive(AWD) and I had that annoying issue for months.

I was expecting the worse like the pinion bearing or my front diff being entirely shot or even my transfer case.

But.....after much investigation, putting it on a lift and carefully pin pointing the noise......turned out to be front driver's side wheel hub bearing.

Inexpensive fix and now my GC is quiet as can be.

Trust me, bring it to a mechanic, lift it up, have the truck running and in gear until the whining noise appears and have your mechanic pinpoint it from underneath.

Good luck
BreadsWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.