02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Starting problems

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
02WJOverland666
2002 WJ 

02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Starting problems

Tried many variables. New fuses, starter relay, battery terminals. Checked power with voltage meter to the fuses and relays. Battery is fine. Checked connections to starter and solenoid. Checked ignition cylinder. The only issue I found curious was that I'm not getting enough volts to my starter relay fuse. I was told it can be the Anti-Theft device. Or my starter failed. I have been having trouble starting it in the past, it would take a few turns to get it to start, but now it has stopped completely. Ignition switch? Stater? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

02WJOverland666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
cjcyr8
2004 WJ 

fuel pressure...
cjcyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Sounds like starter to me. Before mine went out, it was having slow cranks, like a low battery. It would just click once and be done.

Starter comes out in about 10 minutes pretty easy, auto parts store will test it in under a few minutes. Mine was bad as soon as it turned on, he said it was "janky" lol

It's was about $100-$120

If its not starter there is a way to jump the relay
(but it's a new relay?) so prob not it

Edit: starters typically fail between 80-100,000 miles

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
02WJOverland666
2002 WJ 

Thanks Chris. That's what the woman has been telling me also.
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
02WJOverland666
2002 WJ 

Fixed the problem. Turns out the starter wasn't it. I went ahead and replaced it anyway. $134.16 at local parts store with Lifetime Warranty. After I put the new starter in and still no turn, I went for what I thought the problem was originally. The ignition switch actuator pin. $40.99 part that was relatively simple to replace. With A Haynes repair manual. You do need tamper proof star bits to do the job, S-10 and S-15 are need to remove the ignition housing, and on 99' and later models you need to remove the immobilizer before the ignition. Good half an hour project if your are mechanically inclined. Put everything back together and "wah-lah," she started right up. I only changed the starter because when I had removed it to test, the copper bolt for ground on the solenoid was very loose, and the feed connector shattered. Looked factory to me so might as well do it now I figured. To those who think its a major problem, think (kiss) keep it simple stupid! Don't want to change an expensive part when it's actually a part that's a fraction of the cost to fix. I'd suggest a manual to a new owner. They show detailed pictures of what you need to do in common fixes and routine maintenance.

Thanks again!
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Good to hear. Did you have your starter tested? I probably would have kept it if it was good.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.