'01 WJ/QD/V8 - How much to rebuild a front diff(Dana 30)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '01 WJ/QD/V8 - How much to rebuild a front diff(Dana 30)?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Hampster
2001 WJ 

Wj '01 WJ/QD/V8 - How much to rebuild a front diff(Dana 30)?

I've got what i think is a bad pinion bearing in the front diff that moans/whines as i coast or when i'm off the gas. I've gotten one estimate of about $800 for new gears and innards as well as labor included. This sounded high until i started digging for parts and i'm sure it's fairly time consuming. What should i be looking at considering i'll have to have a new ring and pinion?

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

That doesn't sound too bad for parts and labor. Most shops around here charge $4-500 to swap gears. (labor only)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
thefuzz51
1999 WJ 

I had the same problem, if you have a cv style front driveshaft look there first. That ended up being my problem it went bad on my GC, I'm in the process of replacing mine now with a new Carolina Driveline front driveshaft.
thefuzz51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Hampster
2001 WJ 

Wouldn't a bad CV joint in the shaft cause a noticable vibration? Mine doesn't vibrate, as it just hums/whines particularly bad when you are off of the gas....it is only slightly noticeable when you are on the throttle.

*I guess it could be a bad hub....but to me it seems like that would be consitently noisy.
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Mine does the same, although not too loud and no vibrations. Last axle fluid change (every 30k mi) everything looked ok, nothing out of the ordinary. I have 115k on the clock. Could be TC or bearings?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Hampster
2001 WJ 

I had a 2000 with QD/V8 and it had 183k on it but never had problems. It had a very slit transfer case vibration at interstate speeds but it was consistent and normal in my opinion. All the reviews i read on the QD trucks stated some sort of gear noise. I actually wish this was a driveshaft problem because it might be a cheaper fix...but i have a good feeling its a differential rebuild ( it doesn't sound anything like my 2000 model.
Unread 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Hampster
2001 WJ 

update to this thread: I gave it over today to a local shop for inspection/repair. To rebuild the front diff with all new bearing etc reusing the same ring&pinion and houseing will be $475 labor included. Cost will go up if a new ring&pinion is required.
Unread 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
nickblack
1999 WJ 

You might not need a pinion bearing at all. What may have happened is that you lost the preload on the bearing and it needs to be snugged up. There is a TSB that refers to a new style "flanged" pinion nut and a parallel grounded crush washer, because the separate nut & washer on the Dana 30 were known to back off some over time. The same thing happened to me and I did the fix and it has held for last 30k miles. That being said, $450 is not a bad price to replace the bearing.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Hampster
2001 WJ 

I'm also being told that with a bad diff. pinion bearing it usually requires a new ring and pinion set. Is this accurate? The guy says it's a wait and see scenario.

**thanks for the info on that pinion nut...I'll run that by my mechanic.
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Hampster
2001 WJ 

Turned out to be bearings, no Ring and pinion necessary. So I haven’t driven it much, but so far the problem seems to be fixed. Amazing how much noise the pinion was making cause now I hear a squeak from a missing snap rivet in my passenger door. $475 out the door for the rebuild
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
sherker55
2004 WJ 

damn, older thread, but I have been hearing a humming too when letting off the gas. I also have a small axel leak on the passengers side, but the noise seems to be coming from the drivers side...I was thinking it was wheel bearings in the hub, or at the end of the axle, but I don't know anything really about axels and their parts. crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMcD View Post
She said call her when your over 4"
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Cuijo
2000 WJ 

Have same problem, It does a grounding noise while running over 50 km/h drivers side so i changed the bearing cause some mechanic told me it was due...and the noise is still there, i checked the axle shaft and seems ok on that side didn't check the other side,I dont really know the condition of the inside of the diff but i do know that its leaking from pignon and passenger side and oil is metallic. So yeah, need to rebuild but not certain if the vari lok will still work after. Im trying to decide whether i change the hole thing with 1 from the scrap yard r rebuilding it with a new kit..still vari lok its expensive.
Cuijo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.