01 wj double shift/surge 30mph - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
metalcore_mike

01 wj double shift/surge 30mph

When I take off from being stopped or a low speed, around 2000rpm and 25-30 mph a weird shift/jolt of power occurs. Almost like the passing gear is being engaged and then immeadiatly disengaged and then it acts normal. If I take it slow and don't creep up to the 30mph it usually shifts fine. When towing a trailer it almost always does the wild shift. Always happens at 25-30mph and 1900-2200rpm. If I get it over 2200 rpm it will shift fast and crisp. Just over 100k. Replaced tps and didn't do anything. Adjusted the kickdown cable and no luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 12:08 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcore_mike View Post
When I take off from being stopped or a low speed, around 2000rpm and 25-30 mph a weird shift/jolt of power occurs. Almost like the passing gear is being engaged and then immeadiatly disengaged and then it acts normal. If I take it slow and don't creep up to the 30mph it usually shifts fine. When towing a trailer it almost always does the wild shift. Always happens at 25-30mph and 1900-2200rpm. If I get it over 2200 rpm it will shift fast and crisp. Just over 100k. Replaced tps and didn't do anything. Adjusted the kickdown cable and no luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
What transmission? How's the fluid look? How's the level? Any services done?

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
metalcore_mike

4 speed automatic 42re transmission. No services done recently. Fluid level is good just a little dark.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 01:04 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
4 speed automatic 42re transmission. No services done recently. Fluid level is good just a little dark.
Might just need a band adjustment. If you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself or a trans shop can do it for a couple hundred with a trans service.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
metalcore_mike

What would cause the band to need adjustment? I have had the Jeep since October 2015 and it just started doing this a couple months ago. It only happens once when accelerating and always at the same speed.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
What would cause the band to need adjustment? I have had the Jeep since October 2015 and it just started doing this a couple months ago. It only happens once when accelerating and always at the same speed.
It's considered maintenence. I think Chrysler said it should be done every 30,000 minutes. Saying that, it's been done to my transmission once in the past 150,000 miles.

Build Thread

post #7 of 22 Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
metalcore_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918
It's considered maintenence. I think Chrysler said it should be done every 30,000 minutes. Saying that, it's been done to my transmission once in the past 150,000 miles.
Gotcha I'm not to familiar with transmission maintenance but I'll defiantly be looking into it when I drop the fluid. Just a little more detail on the issue, I feel like 3rd gear is a little sluggish/low power. As soon as it shifts to 3rd the Rpms drop lower and the power isn't there. Unless I'm hammering it then it feels good. But when I'm not and the power seems low that's when it feels like the passing gear kicks in and evens itself back out. All other gears feel normal but there is defiantly something up with 3rd.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 AM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

Looking online I found that (without an actual diagnosis) reprogramming kit. Looks legit. After watching a half dozens videos and reading countless reviews I'm thinking about rebuilding my 545rfe as well as doing the reprogramming kit as well.

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehou...sgo-45rfe-hd2/

There are more but it is late and I'm tired.

At the very least have a trans shop comp diagnose your transmission or just get it rebuild. A flush won't necessarily fix anything that is already damaged, if there is anything damaged.

hope that gives you an idea what direction to go in.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Might be trans speed sensor as well. I had a double upshift issue going up hills(as well as other issues traced back to speed sensor) and it went away when I replaced the speed sensor. My issue was mostly around 50mph.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
metalcore_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar
Might be trans speed sensor as well. I had a double upshift issue going up hills(as well as other issues traced back to speed sensor) and it went away when I replaced the speed sensor. My issue was mostly around 50mph.
What other issues were you having besides the double upshift?
post #11 of 22 Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
What other issues were you having besides the double upshift?
Lost fuel milage, transmission momentarily shifting out of gear going down the highway
post #12 of 22 Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgenrich6777 View Post
Looking online I found that (without an actual diagnosis) reprogramming kit. Looks legit. After watching a half dozens videos and reading countless reviews I'm thinking about rebuilding my 545rfe as well as doing the reprogramming kit as well.

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehou...sgo-45rfe-hd2/

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUJ18obqcA&t=2s

There are more but it is late and I'm tired.

At the very least have a trans shop comp diagnose your transmission or just get it rebuild. A flush won't necessarily fix anything that is already damaged, if there is anything damaged.

hope that gives you an idea what direction to go in.
That's for the 4.7L trans. There's a flash that makes the 45RFE a five speed.

Build Thread

post #13 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM
JohnnyBertone
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Lost fuel milage, transmission momentarily shifting out of gear going down the highway
Sounds like you just went up in tire size without regearing
post #14 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 10:10 PM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

The 5-45rfe is already a 5 spd. that 5th gear comes in right around 55 mph. I have heard of the flash to bring back fifth gear because of a programming error. Sometimes, depending on how much weight you may be carrying on a trailer the 5th gear may not engage. However, with a trailer I never run overdrive. Puts too much stress on the engine.

I am really thinking about spending the money on the rebuild and reprogramming kit. When I excellerate fast I can feel a slight shutter in the transmission. So I would not be supprised if the clutch plates in the transmission are hotspotted.

Would make for a messy yet calm weekend project.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 PM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

The 5-45rfe is already a 5 spd. that 5th gear comes in right around 55 mph. I have heard of the flash to bring back fifth gear because of a programming error. Sometimes, depending on how much weight you may be carrying on a trailer the 5th gear may not engage. However, with a trailer I never run overdrive. Puts too much stress on the engine.

I am really thinking about spending the money on the rebuild and reprogramming kit. When I excellerate fast I can feel a slight shutter in the transmission. So I would not be supprised if the clutch plates in the transmission are hotspotted.

Would make for a messy yet calm weekend project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.