Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

01 WJ brake thread

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kolak 
#1 ·
My first jeep needs some work, hope you guys can help, lets start with the brakes:

2001 LAREDO 4.7V8 100k Stock suspension.

After reading here until i was blurry, i have figured out my front calipers are teves and the rotors are warped.

1. Is it just the front calipers that have the issue?
2. Can I keep my rear calipers? (haven't seen any rear akebono calipers online)
3. Are the akebono replacements a direct fit?
4. Recommendations on rotor/caliper/pad combos
5. parking brake stories ( mine doesnt seem to do anything )

#2 ·
Look for Kolak...

CALLING KOLAK!!!!!

do the Kolak break upgrade and he will give you all the parts you need.

#4 ·
My questions are a bit more specific about the work, as well as part recommendations and why. I don't just want a referral to a random vendor.

here they are again:

safari2000 is online now Report Post

#6 ·
This "random" vendor would be pleased to help you out. I've been involved with modifying and maintaining Jeeps for nearly 15 years now professionally and a lot longer than that as a hobbiest.

Feel free to send me a PM - happy to discuss your brake issues with you in detail. Depending on how many miles you have on your WJ, you may have to upgrade to the Akebonos in order to fully resolve the warping issue.

My questions are a bit more specific about the work, as well as part recommendations and why. I don't just want a referral to a random vendor.

here they are again:

safari2000 is online now Report Post

#5 ·
yes but some people do not have akebono calipers in the front and say they are fine

yes they are fine to keep the stock ones back their unless they are sized but you should be good. their is no calipers upgrade for the rear

yes they will bolt right on

their is a tone out their and will depend on what you want to spend.
if you talk to Kolak he will tell you to get stillen pads and rotors but you will be spending about $300 on just pads and rotors.

right now still has a deal were you get teh pads free when you buy the rotors and free shipping STILLEN : Truck Specials! but will be over $200 still

you can go to autozone or napa and get pads and rotors for a good price and they work good. did a quick look and can get basic pads and rotors for the front form autozone for $120. can spend more on pads and have a lifetime warranty were will just give you a new set when they wear.

could be the emergency pads are worn or the cable need to be adjusted. do you hear the a nose when you pull up and down?
also from what i have heard use stock emergency parking pads since aftermarket ones might be thinner.

#7 ·
I have been reading up on these same things. I have seen 2 answers to the number 3 question. Some say they need a bracket, and that the holes are totally different. Just a heads up safari, but let us know what you end up doing and how much it cost. wjjeeps.com talks about the parking brake too. Its most likely your pads or something in the linkage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.