01 WJ Blower Motor Controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 WJ Blower Motor Controller

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

01 WJ Blower Motor Controller

Recently, my wife and I drove to Lake Havasu to visit her family. We decided to take the newly purchased dub down because our other DD doesn't have cruise. At any rate, just outside of Searchlight, a small town between there and Vegas, I smelled a really strong electrical burning/melting smell. I pulled over and checked everything out, I couldn't find anything, so we kept driving. Nothing else happened, so I thought nothing of it.

Today on the way home from work, in a matter of 10-15 minutes the hvac intermittently quit working about 5-6 different times. The I jumped on the interweb to see if there was a common issue concerning this.. I went to pull the blower motor controller, I can get the blower motor connecter undone, but not the opposing end.

From what I can tell, this means that the connector must have melted which will not allow me to disconnect it.

Is that a safe assumption?
If so, I assume I can just cut the wires just behind the connector and hard wire them to the controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Marksikern

We may have had the same problem. I have a 99 and I had stopped for construction and turned the truck off to save gas. Then it didn't want to start. Got off to the side, popped the hood and saw what I thought were 2 wires on fire by the firewall. Turned out to be vacuum hoses that control the diverter valve for the HVAC and the cruise control. The ground wire to the firewall was responsible. Replaced that. If this is the problem your HVAC should still work but it will only blow air through the defrost vents as this is the default for the diverter door when you lose vacuum. If your vacuum line is ok at the firewall then it might be at the switch. To get to this you have to take off the under dash panels on both the driver and passenger sides of the interior. It has nothing to do with the blower motor, all it does is blow air. You might also check the AC clutch. Sometimes these go bad and causes intermittent operation of the AC and defrost. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Marksikern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
Recently, my wife and I drove to Lake Havasu to visit her family. We decided to take the newly purchased dub down because our other DD doesn't have cruise. At any rate, just outside of Searchlight, a small town between there and Vegas, I smelled a really strong electrical burning/melting smell. I pulled over and checked everything out, I couldn't find anything, so we kept driving. Nothing else happened, so I thought nothing of it.

Today on the way home from work, in a matter of 10-15 minutes the hvac intermittently quit working about 5-6 different times. The I jumped on the interweb to see if there was a common issue concerning this.. I went to pull the blower motor controller, I can get the blower motor connecter undone, but not the opposing end.

From what I can tell, this means that the connector must have melted which will not allow me to disconnect it.

Is that a safe assumption?
If so, I assume I can just cut the wires just behind the connector and hard wire them to the controller?
You can just remove the connector out of the picture and solder to the resistor, or you can buy the kit with the larger gauge wires, it doesn't cost very much. It's what I did, after my blower motor quit working, intermittently. I had to keep hitting the box below the glove box, with my cane, to make it work again. This got old, so I stopped by Chrysler on one of my drives around, for work, and bought the kit for $17 or so. Later that night, I cut the old connector off, put heat-shrink on the wires, soldered the wires and heated the heat-shrink tubing in place to solve this problem. No problem for to years, now (knock wood.)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.