01 wj 4.0 knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 wj 4.0 knock

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
jeeptyler

01 wj 4.0 knock

Okay, so I have this knock at idle whem warmed up. Its sounds mostly like a rod knock. I have good oil pressure. The knock gets a little but louder as the you hit the throttle no load. And its really hard to tell if it gets louder if your in gear. But it does alway happen at idle when warmed up. When I pulled the pan there was no metal shavings in the pan and no debris in pick up screen. The timing chain did seem lose. Should I be worried or just keep driving it

jeeptyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

does the knock increase with RPM?
j-rod17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
nickblack
1999 WJ 

When you had the pan off, did you try rocking the bearing caps back and forth by hand to see if there was any play? It isn't that hard, once the pan is off, to remove the caps and check the bearings.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
COL
2000 WJ 

He said yes it does when there is no load on the engine like when in park or neutral. He said it is hard to tell when it is in gear.
COL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
jeeptyler

I also checked side to side cleance with a feeler gauge and it was in spec I also took a couple bearing caps of and they look good. I have read and been told its something they do.
jeeptyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

This is a long shot but what oil are you running? Reason I ask is I tried 15w40 in mine once and it was so thick it made a noticeable knock even warm. I thinned the oil and it disappeared. Have not run a 15w40 since nor has the knock ever returned.

You said you had good oil pressure, curious what you're actually getting.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
nickblack
1999 WJ 

That is an excellent point KC, let us know what your running. The fact that your bearings look good and the clearances are also good, it very well could be the oil.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

i bought a Jeep that was to have a bad motor. made a knock noise when running but no change when RPM's up. also went away a time or two. ended up being a bad torque converter and loose flex plate bolts in mine.

started with a knock then turned to vibration once i tightened the flex plate bolts. guess it let the TC issue show then

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ation-1541791/
j-rod17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.