01 WJ 4.0 Engine Vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 WJ 4.0 Engine Vibration

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

Angry 01 WJ 4.0 Engine Vibration

ok, need some input here.

picked up an 01 WJ that has been sitting 18 months. Was told it needed a motor. My buddy came with me to pick it up and we drove it from CKBG to Bport. Ran fine.

We got it in the garage and found 3 of the 4 flex plate bolts were so loose they were removed by hand. We went and got lock tight and reinstalled the bolts. The engine "knock noise" was gone. but the vibration in the motor still there. checked the flex plate for cracks and it looked ok

I put in a bottle of seafoam and half a tank of fuel. I have been starting it and driving it around the plant to try and run out any of the bad fuel and get good octane back in it.

was letting it idle and the temp spiked. I shut it off and coolant was burping out the overflow on the tank. let it cool down and tested fan and it was good. restarted it with no issues and fan worked as it should. no idea wth happened there. then drove it around another 10 minutes.

Got a CEL that I was finally able to diagnose today. P1494. found a vacuum line off the intake from the EVAP. put it back on and started it again.

Now all this time the engine still has the noticeable vibration above 1,000 RPMS. The last few times I tried starting it, it was very hard to start. Now it will not start. it cranks but will not start. I tried jumping it for s&g's and it still did not start.

I been beating myself up over this and could use some more opinions on what it might be. vibration occurs while sitting still or driving.

During my Google searches this evening I came across this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17005_52.htm

chances that is an issue with the vibration? doesnt help with the not starting now. :/

possible fuel filter issue for the starting? I hear the pump power when the key is on

j-rod17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

nothing?
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=A_C2B-lA3mY

video of vibration.

possible flex plate?
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

pulling the transmission tomorrow.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

we took the TC loose from the flex plate and disengaged it. Then started the Jeep.. engine ran smooth with no vibrations.

looks to be a bad TC.

We dropped the Trans and took the TC off after ordering a new one. You can hear stuff sloshing and rattling around in the TC.

Got a TC and flex plate on the way.
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
j-rod17
2008 JK Wrangler 

just in case anyone else reads this. new TC today and the vibes are all gone. revs up nice with no vibrations.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.