Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

'01 V8 WJ drops out after 2nd

833 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  redbaron586 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My wife was driving our 2001 WJ home from work a couple days ago and she said that she was at a stop light and when she got the green, she stepped on the gas, went through first and second but when the jeep went to shift to third, she said it acted like it shut off on her as she stepped on the gas and it didn't respond in the manner one would think when stepping on the gas with a car in drive. She pulled into a gas station, shut it off for a few minutes and then started on her way. Again, the car shifted into second and when it should've shifted to 3rd, she said it acted like it went to neutral, i.e. rpm's would go up when she was on the gas but car was slowing down. she dropped it into second and limped it home.

I put the scanner on it and came back with a P0733 code. I drove it and sure enough, when it wants to shift into 3rd, it acts like it goes in neutral. I've been doing a lot of searches on this board and other boards and have come to find that the accumulator plate is common to back off in this transmission. I was hoping it would be something simple, though it could be worse(hopefully not, I haven't pulled the pan yet), like a speed sensor but didn't get a code for it, or any other codes for that matter.

I've checked the fluid and the level and color are good and it doesn't look broken down or burnt(though I probably should change it anyway) but is there a way or does anyone else have more experience with this issue to pinpoint the cause before I drop the pan and have at it? I have the tools and time but the work would have to be done at my parents house where they have a level driveway and I'd rather get in there and get the job done with the right replacement parts instead of poking around first to see whats what.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate your help

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
They you all for your replies. I'll look at the sensors with the multimeter when I get home. I'll start with the output I was reading on other threads, related to speed sensors that there was at least a tsb to reflash the TCM on '99-'01 but the conditions were "harsh shift from 2-3,3-4" etc, nothing about slipping in and out. Anyone know anymore about this?

The code is p0733: gear 3 incorrect ratio and no other code thrown

Thanls again

#7 ·
redbaron586 said:
They you all for your replies. I'll look at the sensors with the multimeter when I get home. I'll start with the output I was reading on other threads, related to speed sensors that there was at least a tsb to reflash the TCM on '99-'01 but the conditions were "harsh shift from 2-3,3-4" etc, nothing about slipping in and out. Anyone know anymore about this? The code is p0733: gear 3 incorrect ratio and no other code thrown Thanls again
I wouldn't waste too much time looking at speed sensors. They would not be bad for just 1 gear.

Either the solenoid is bad, or its clogged and not porting oil, the clutches are worn to the point they make no friction when the hub is pressurized, or there is a problem in the VB.

#8 ·
The output and the input speed sensor are the same part number. You can buy one and swap it into the output (first) and then the input. I have read of many transmission issues on here that were solved with a new speed sensor. New fluid and filters are always a good idea too. You are aware of the technique necessary when installing the flat filter right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.