'01 Laredo Custom Sub Box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '01 Laredo Custom Sub Box?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
DominicRicci

'01 Laredo Custom Sub Box?

Anyone know of a good custom Subwoofer Box for a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo?

I have a JL 10W3v3 and a JL 500/1v2

If you have one or a link to one or even a link to building plans I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks guys!

-dom

DominicRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

There is a search tab towards the top of the page. Try searching WJ stereo build, wj sub box, ext... there are hundreds of posts and stereo builds for your jeep

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
towerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Sunshine92

Design and build your own using the manufacturers recommended specs. It'll be really easy if you decide on a sealed enclosure, but ported isn't much harder. There are plenty of online calculators to help you with the ported design. Do a little reading on bcae1.com about enclosures. The RE enclosure calculator is a good tool for simple slot port enclosures, but make sure you double check all the calculations from that program by hand because it's known to be a little off at times. If you have the tools to build your own but can't figure out the design from the info here, PM me and I'll give you a little more specific help.
Sunshine92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

well self have JLs, just the W6s

yes ported boxes work, however self am not a fan and much prefer sealed boxes!!

self would suggest a small box, and would also advise to go for the 12inch instead of the 10inch!!

go for small boxes, would suggest about a 20litre for the 10 and around 25litre for the 12inch if that change could be made!!

good luck
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
KGC
2002 WJ 

kfxnando, why do you prefer the sealed box over the ported? Looking at doing this same thing and am trying to get a nice sounding box to fit tucked away and still sound nice.
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
twinsdaddy

Really its a matter of preference and what you are looking to accomplish. Sealed takes less space and generally produces a flatter, more balanced frequency range. A properly built and tuned ported enclosure wins in my opinion every time. Build it right and tune it low and you will get deeper lows with more output. All of this greatly hinges on the selection of sub you are using as well. Some do better sealed than ported and vice-versa
twinsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

if you listen to mainly rap, and want muddy sounding bass that just hits hard, then go ported.

if you listen to rock, metal, etc.. go for the sealed enclosure, as the sound will be tighter and cleaner.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGC View Post
kfxnando, why do you prefer the sealed box over the ported? Looking at doing this same thing and am trying to get a nice sounding box to fit tucked away and still sound nice.
well some of my answer have already been posted

so will just add some

sealed boxes keep dust and other rubbish that ends up inside the boxes out

then my biggest reason
sealed boxes are way more forgiving, when it comes to speaker abuse
we go out, get carried away and keep cracking up the volume, distortion happens before the human hear can recognize it, and distortion is not good for speaker.
When overpowered sealed boxes stop the cones from flapping and self destruction
and to methane tighter sound of the sealed box sounds best, others may differ

enjoy

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
twinsdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
if you listen to mainly rap, and want muddy sounding bass that just hits hard, then go ported.

if you listen to rock, metal, etc.. go for the sealed enclosure, as the sound will be tighter and cleaner.
Not to flame, but this is the common myth with everyone who cant design an enclosure. Part of this statement is true such as if you just want to build a square with a hole, chuck a sub in it and go, then sealed is going to sound better.

There is a reason that nearly every high-end home audio sub manufacturer uses ported enclosures. They have gotten a bad rap because people tend to think all ported enclosures will sound the same or dont do their homework before throwing a sub in a box.

I will gaurantee that a properly tuned enclosure will sound just as clean and again (preference) more pleasing to the ear with not just rap, but rock and country as well.
twinsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
KGC
2002 WJ 

Thanks a lot!! you have been really helpful. I'm going to have to look into building a nice ported box, only issue now is trying to get it to sit tucked away and look good lol
Unread 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Here's mine. I am in the process of finishing the second box. They sit tucked back and molded to the wheel wells and other parts of the Jeep. Got the idea from Towerdude. Check out his thread (just type stereo build, you should find it.)

As for sealed or ported, its up to you. If you have never built a box before, I would think sealed because you wont have to worry about all the thought that goes into porting a box. If Im right, porting a box has a lot to do with the size of the sub, the air flow, and other variables that should be taken into consideration.

Heres a picture. Ive still got to hide the wiring and mount the amp in the spare tirer carrier. Once I clean everything up, it should look better. I am also going to build smaller boxes for either 2-way speakers or 3-ways, I cant decide. Those speakers are going to sit on the little shelf you can see on the box.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.