01 Jeep GC Limited WJ Starting Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 Jeep GC Limited WJ Starting Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
DJHile

01 Jeep GC Limited WJ Starting Problem

My Grand Cherokee Lmtd 2001 has been having some problems starting. I know that I have a good charge on the battery. My interior lights work and the "door open" sound works. At first I could start the Jeep by holding the key over to "start" and keeping it held there for 1sec-30sec or so. It would "click" when you turn it over but you'd either have to hold it over or keep turning the key over until it started. The gauges, radio, ac, etc all lit up when the key was turned over to "acc" before trying to start. I was in the process of trying to track down this problem (only got a chance to check the starter which IS good)... I went out to try to trace it down again today and NOW I have no power on my radio/ac panel and no gauges or warning lights on my instrumental panel. Now it has not and will not start and I do not know what to do. I first want to get some opinions on the issue before taking it to the dealer who wants 2-3 hours of labor just to try to trace the problem.

Any ideas? I've searched through the forums and found SIMILAR problems but none that seem to truly fit my problem here. I'd REALLY appreciate any help... this is keeping me from getting any work done since I work as a mobile leather/vinyl repairman out of my Jeep... she's my BABY!!! HELP!!

DJHile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

I just had a problem like this last week. fit yours almost exactly. my problem i believe since it has worked fine since i fixed it was that the wires on the positive side of the battery were corroded. They heated up and melted and bubbled the wire insulation. I had to cut the bad insulation off clean what i could clean and spare what wire i didnt have to cut off and put on a new battery terminal lead. So far so good. So i would cut away all the tape on the plastic wire covers on both your positive and negitive battery terminals. then look at your wires. If anything looks corroded or bubbled cut it off or clean it the best you can.You will probably have to get new battery terminal leads that you can screw your wires to your starter and jeep in. Its not starting because its not getting enough power through the wires to start it because of the corrosion and your wires may have broken off. Try that. Its what my problem was. hopefully this helps you.
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree - clean the battery terminals first.

Even if they look clean, go ahead and rough them up a little with sandpaper, a file, or a wire brush.

Can you hear the starter solenoid click when you turn the key?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
DJHile

Battery terminals are all clean, no corrosion, etc... I made sure of that already. I DID go through and just start testing EVERYTHING and found out that a fuse had blown. It was the fuse under the hood beside the battery for the ignition. I think I probably caused this by holding the key over to "start" for too long and the constant voltage probably blew the fuse. It WILL start now but I am still having issues with the "clicking" from the starter solenoid. When you turn it over to start it, it "clicks" and then you can A) Keep it held over until it starts (how I blew my fuse) or just keep trying to repeatedly start it and click it until it finally fires up.... Starter and solenoid are both good according to my mechanic... So odd.
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

that sounds like exactly what happened to me. i dont know whats up though. I have not started my jeep in a couple days but i think my issue is fixed. If you find out whats wrong with it though post it up cuz im curious.
Unread 12-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your problem is the starter or the battery.

Probably the starter based on your description of the problem.

I'd remove the starter and take it to a parts store for testing. I know Autozone does it for free.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
bg00gt
2004 WJ 

yall sure its not a bad ignition switch?
bg00gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

That's definitely a bad starter. You've got a dead spot (or spots). Everything works up to the starter if you're hearing the click of the solenoid. It just isn't turning over the starter. I'd say 90% that's what it is.
steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
DJHile

Okay fellas, here's the problem I am having... this damn 40 amp fuse keeps blowing!! I seriously don't think it's the starter. I replaced the fuse and got it to start, now if I try turning the key over to start a few times, it blows the 40 amp fuse to the starter/ignition that is located in the fuse panel beside the battery. Any ideas?
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Still say its a bad starter. Its drawing too much current to start. Something internal is going out or shorting.

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
jtthirdeye

I second the starter. Starter is drawing too much current trying to turn, blowing your 40amp fuse. My boat did the same thing to me last summer. Put a new one in, problem went away.
jtthirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
RaptorPDX
2003 WJ 

Thanks for this. I have been running into a similar issue. Engine would turn but would not start. I checked the fuses but I don't know how to tell if they are blown or not.

I checked the battery and noticed a lot of crud all over the electrodes and connectors. Took a metal brush and sandpaper to them and really cleaned them, took off all the red grease all over everything. I did notice that it started fine twice after I re-connected everything but that doesn't mean much since before the starting was hit or miss. I did notice that my check engine light didn't come back on (but maybe that is because I disconnected the battery?). I will give my 03 WJ a couple days to see if the problem persists.

Can someone let me know how I find out if fuses are blown?
RaptorPDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
skipshowers
2001 WJ 

I am having problems with my ignition, I replaced the actuator pin, tumbler assembly and ignition switch and I still have to original problem.
When I start the truck the starter starts in the on position, it doesn't wait till the start position... any ideas
skipshowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
skipshowers
2001 WJ 

01 zj ignition problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipshowers View Post
I am having problems with my ignition, I replaced the actuator pin, tumbler assembly and ignition switch and I still have to original problem.
When I start the truck the starter starts in the on position, it doesn't wait till the start position... any ideas
??
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
skipshowers
2001 WJ 

I replaced the ignition switch, the electrical part at the far left of the bunch. The pin assembly, in the middle part. And the actual key tumbler assembly. And the starter is new also. All is new. I am stumped. I am going to get new relays today and see if that does anything. Thank u for all the thoughts, very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.