Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

01 Grand Cherokee slow to shift error code P0740

520 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kgroenland 
#1 ·
Have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0

Today when pulling away from a stop light, the transmission took a long time to shift from 2nd to 3rd, even when I let off the throttle it would not shift, then I simply "played" with the throttle a bit between 3-4K and it eventually shifted into 3rd. Then it started taking a long time between 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd and so on from every stop, and then "O/D off" light came on along with check engine light. When the trans did finally shift into the next gear each time, it was smooth no "clunking" and no grinding was heard.

Drove it right to a friends house about 10 miles, to use his scanner and it came back "P0740" Torque converter clutch circuit malfunction.

Checked the fluid, level appears good, and it looks fine, nice and light red, not dark and burnt and nothing smells like burning. The only thing that was a bit odd was when I turned the engine off, I could hear a slight "whizzing or whining gear" sound almost like a noisy power steering pump winding down for a few seconds after the motor stopped. This sounded like it was from the transmission area.

Decided to drive it back to my house another 10 miles away, and it was acting the same way for the first 5 miles, then everything seemed to go back to normal the rest of the way home, and it started shifting just fine again.

Of course I "googled" this problem and found tons of similar problems, but not exactly like mine. Would a bad torque converter clutch solenoid cause this problem?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.