Your experiences w/ QT1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Your experiences w/ QT1

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your experiences w/ QT1

Hello friends! My wife and I bought a 2014 Laredo back in April and really enjoy it. It's her vehicle and we use my XJ for off-road adventures so we didn't bother getting anything above QT1. It's getting kinda wintry here in NC and I was wondering what everyone's experiences were with QT1 in winter weather. We may take it to the beach in the spring. Does anyone have any experience with it on sand? Again, this is my wife's car and isn't gonna be doing anything too wild. Thanks!

1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

QT1 is very capable, especially if you have no need for low range. It uses Brake Traction Control, so it may need more throttle than you expect to get through the rough places, just use full throttle (unless you get going too fast) as the traction control will automatically back off if tires are spinning. You will get a hammering/ABS type noise when is working, so don't get thrown off by that and back off the throttle.

Tires make much more difference than the difference between QT1 or QT2 on trails and roads.
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
WvTaco
2011 WK 

ive been from mountains to snow to sand. no issues. just punch it and go.
i had no desire to take this suv where i have had my last trucks, so i didnt want 4 low.
qt2 seems to have an issue with sand, and i bet snowy roads too. qt1 is locked at a 48/52 split where qt2 can transfer 100% to either axle. after several miles qt2 seems to overheat the clutch packs when i normal 4 high. qt1 doesnt seem to have this issue.

i think on roads, jeep qt1 is better than most pickups part time 4 high system.
i have made it up a untreated snowed in drive way on one attempt( actually i was riding passenger, my wife was driving) where a 2010ish silverado crew 4x4 with a/t tires took three attempts and he had the factory rear locker.
how qt1 works, rear tire off the ground front driver in muddy ditch.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid227.photobucket.co m%2Falbums%2Fdd205%2Fjustinnelson_01%2F005.mp4">

now pics.

all that being said your 14 has better gear ratios. my v6 with the 5 speed, just punching it from a red light it will hit 53 mph before it redlines first and shifts to second. the 14s seem to do about 35mph. i like that better.
but try it out i bet it surprises you in bad weather and off road.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I have owned a '11 with QT1 and now a '14 with QT2. The '11 had stock tires (17" rim fortera) and my '14 has Cooper AT3 on 18".

Both vehicles are very good in the snow but I think the QT1 was better in the snow. I get sideways, fishtail, etc. much more easily in the '14. I dont think its the tires as the cooper should be better if anything.

I think the QT1 system must be similar to subaru's system and thats what it reminded me of when I had it. Very hard to get stuck in snow or even have it misbehave. In fact it was better than any Sub I owned, esp considering the tires!
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I haven't driven it in sand, but I'm very happy with the way it handles in winter. No problems yet getting stuck or losing control.
Adjust your driving for winter conditions & you'll be fine in the Jeep.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
I think the QT1 system must be similar to subaru's system and thats what it reminded me of when I had it. Very hard to get stuck in snow or even have it misbehave. In fact it was better than any Sub I owned, esp considering the tires!
The QT1 just uses an open dif for the transfer case, similar to AWD systems in use for years. The traction computer (BCT) and ABS system is high powered, however, and can react quickly to wheel spin, more effective than years past. Not sure about older suburus, I thought they, or most of them, have a torsen type transfer case.

One should not be getting more fishtail with QTII vs QTI unless you also have QD, but there are so many variables. The wide tires make for more snow/slush instability.

If you are driving in slippery conditions with lots of wheel spin, QTI will be very hard on brakes, they can get quite warm and fade. I haven't heard that QTII transfer case clutches get hot, although they might. In similar severe conditions they lock up so there is no slip or heat generated... and then you also have the option to select low range which locks the transfer case..
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
ive been from mountains to snow to sand. no issues. just punch it and go.
i had no desire to take this suv where i have had my last trucks, so i didnt want 4 low.
qt2 seems to have an issue with sand, and i bet snowy roads too. qt1 is locked at a 48/52 split where qt2 can transfer 100% to either axle. after several miles qt2 seems to overheat the clutch packs when i normal 4 high. qt1 doesnt seem to have this issue.

i think on roads, jeep qt1 is better than most pickups part time 4 high system.
i have made it up a untreated snowed in drive way on one attempt( actually i was riding passenger, my wife was driving) where a 2010ish silverado crew 4x4 with a/t tires took three attempts and he had the factory rear locker.
how qt1 works, rear tire off the ground front driver in muddy ditch.

all that being said your 14 has better gear ratios. my v6 with the 5 speed, just punching it from a red light it will hit 53 mph before it redlines first and shifts to second. the 14s seem to do about 35mph. i like that better.
but try it out i bet it surprises you in bad weather and off road.
To counter this with my own two cents I have been through all the different terrains and weather utilizing all the settings of QT2 and have yet to have an issue or problem.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
To counter this with my own two cents I have been through all the different terrains and weather utilizing all the settings of QT2 and have yet to have an issue or problem.
see its a jeep it will go..
my wife likes to yell "it's a jeep b*tch" when she plows through bad weather lol

i took it up to the shooting range. up at the range the wind was blowing and was about an inch on the road.

i did kick it sideways on an ice cover parking lot, but counter steered and powered it back straight.

also on a low speed steep hill decent using 1st and brakes i have a ding and abs light with the esc light kick on, abs disabled and make the hill alot easier to go down. it was about 3-4 inches at the point and took me turning it off stepping out locking it, then unlocking and restart to get it to reset.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
modernblueWK

I havent been anywhere that qt2 failed me. My ground clearance has but thats everybody's problem. I have beena few places where without 4lo i would not have made it.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
I have owned a '11 with QT1 and now a '14 with QT2. The '11 had stock tires (17" rim fortera) and my '14 has Cooper AT3 on 18".

Both vehicles are very good in the snow but I think the QT1 was better in the snow. I get sideways, fishtail, etc. much more easily in the '14. I dont think its the tires as the cooper should be better if anything.

I suppose I should clarify as some take this to mean that QT2 is a bad system. I actually offroad my WK2 quite a bit. I does seem in general that this system allows for "wheelspin first, ask questions later". I ultimately get through stuff and for a 4 corner IS SUV it does really well. However being out there with LR3's etc, they seem to spin the wheels less, whereas QT2 seems to need a decent amount of wheelspin before it reacts. This may be why in the snow it gets a little loosey goosey on corners? It ultimately setles down but first gets a little wild.

My driveway is a > 90 degree turn uphill, and at this time of year always has frozen snow and ice. I had a very hard time getting the QT1 loose on this last year, very easy this year with QT2, where if I'm not careful I'd fishtail / drift into my lawn/snow. Granted I'm trying to get it to misbehave in both cases just to see what it can do.
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
modernblueWK

Same tires/wear on the qt2 and qt1 you are comparing in your driveway.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
kkreit01

QT1 is a perfect setup for the wifey to drive in adverse conditions. I feel very confident -- especially now that we have good tires on. There's no buttons for her to push, or worry about. It's always in 4x4, and ready for action. I can tell you that tires make a world of difference. Contrary to what 1 member will say on here, the OE Michelin Latitudes are horrible in the smallest amount of compacted snow on the road. Last winter, stopping and cornering was scary -- and that was with only 13-15K on the tires. Mine were wore down to 5/32nds at 23K, so I replaced them with Cooper AT3s this Fall. It's a night and day difference in snow. We've had a few small snowstorms here lately. I purposely slammed the brakes to see how far I'd slide. It slid a few feet before stopping -- as apposed to a few car-lengths on the Latitudes last winter.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #13
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Same tires/wear on the qt2 and qt1 you are comparing in your driveway.
No, and that is what is strange too -- QT1 was used on stock fortera's with about 20K + on them, QT2 with Cooper AT3's with about 3K on them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.