You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #91
i20sailor
2014 WK 

I finally understood why Ford still has a keypad on the outside of the door when I locked my keyfob in the Edge in exactly the same way as described in this post.

I do really miss this key pad now. I used it a lot when I had the Edge.

i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #92
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

One option with the 2014 Grand Cherokee, you can unlock it with a smart phone or a computer
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #93
Shub45

[QUOTE="JeepGC6855"]One option with the 2014 Grand Cherokee, you can unlock it with a smart phone or a computer[/QUOT

Lol. Had to do that twice. Phone started my jeep but left the keys in. Thank god it unlocked . I was far from home
Shub45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #94
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20sailor View Post
I finally understood why Ford still has a keypad on the outside of the door when I locked my keyfob in the Edge in exactly the same way as described in this post.

I do really miss this key pad now. I used it a lot when I had the Edge.
I leased a few Explorers in the past. Loved that keypad & wish I had it on every vehicle I drove.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #95
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
I leased a few Explorers in the past. Loved that keypad & wish I had it on every vehicle I drove.
I always hated the looks of that pad, and it was so easy to circumvent... I sure hope Jeep doesn't adopt that useless feature. I could never remember the code and finding a small spare key in the wallet was easier than finding a slip of paper with the code written on it.

Daughter never used the pad because it was way easier just to press the fob. She did write down the code and put it in the glove box... just in case she ever was locked out....
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #96
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

The keypad was my favorite feature on a Ford. It always came in handy at the lake to lock everything in the car, that I didn't want to get wet.
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #97
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
The keypad was my favorite feature on a Ford. It always came in handy at the lake to lock everything in the car, that I didn't want to get wet.
Yes. Using the keypad sounds much easier than touching the inside of the outer release handle with the FOBIK in my pocket.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #98
i20sailor
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Yes. Using the keypad sounds much easier than touching the inside of the outer release handle with the FOBIK in my pocket.
Seems like you are missing the point. Of course its easier to just grab the door handle with the fob in the pocket. The pad comes in handy when I don't want the fob on me or someone else needs to get in the car when the fob is not around. We do lot of activities where a dry and safe place for the fob is a challenge and it was great just to leave it in the car.
i20sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #99
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20sailor View Post
Seems like you are missing the point. Of course its easier to just grab the door handle with the fob in the pocket. The pad comes in handy when I don't want the fob on me or someone else needs to get in the car when the fob is not around. We do lot of activities where a dry and safe place for the fob is a challenge and it was great just to leave it in the car.
I didn't miss the point. I was sticking up for the Jeep. She's my baby and I don't like it when people pick on her.
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #100
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Don't get me wrong also, you couldn't pay me to replace my Jeep with a Ford. Guess I was just saying that the key pad was the only thing I liked about the Ford Edge or Explorer
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #101
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I always hated the looks of that pad, and it was so easy to circumvent... I sure hope Jeep doesn't adopt that useless feature. I could never remember the code and finding a small spare key in the wallet was easier than finding a slip of paper with the code written on it.

Daughter never used the pad because it was way easier just to press the fob. She did write down the code and put it in the glove box... just in case she ever was locked out....
How was it easy to circumvent? Please enlighten me on that one. I NEVER carried my keys with me when I left the vehicle. Just put them in the console & off I went. I loved it, especially having 5-6 other keys on the ring.
You couldn't remember your own 4 digit code? Seriously? Sorry, I can't help ya with that one.
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #102
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
How was it easy to circumvent? Please enlighten me on that one. I NEVER carried my keys with me when I left the vehicle. Just put them in the console & off I went. I loved it, especially having 5-6 other keys on the ring.
You couldn't remember your own 4 digit code? Seriously? Sorry, I can't help ya with that one.
First, thieves tend to target keypad vehicles since they know people have a tendency to leave their keys in the car (http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...3212--,00.html).

Second, rubber keypads tend to wear with use, and you can usually see which keys have been pressed over and over again. If you know which numbers are in the access code, figuring out the code is not difficult.

Third, most people pick access codes they are familiar with. They are derived from a birth date, home address, phone number, or other information that is not too difficult to find out about someone. Very few people create a completely random code.
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #103
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
Don't get me wrong also, you couldn't pay me to replace my Jeep with a Ford. Guess I was just saying that the key pad was the only thing I liked about the Ford Edge or Explorer
And I miss the HUD (head up display) that was on my Bonneville, but I don't come on the Jeep Forum and complain my new JGC doesn't have HUD.
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #104
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
First, thieves tend to target keypad vehicles since they know people have a tendency to leave their keys in the car (http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...3212--,00.html).

Second, rubber keypads tend to wear with use, and you can usually see which keys have been pressed over and over again. If you know which numbers are in the access code, figuring out the code is not difficult.

Third, most people pick access codes they are familiar with. They are derived from a birth date, home address, phone number, or other information that is not too difficult to find out about someone. Very few people create a completely random code.
Thanks for the link. According to that, 20% of vehicles stolen have the keys left in the vehicle. So it's safe to say 80% of stolen vehicles don't have keys inside. Not hardly what I'd call a strong argument against keypads.
I can sit here & very easily counter your second & third arguments, but I'm not going to waste my time getting in a pissing contest over something not Jeep related.
I guess I was just lucky with my 4 Explorers. Never had one stolen.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.