You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #76
rudeney
2011 WK 

FYI, this "defect" of being able to lock the key in the car may be by design. Mercedes-Benz engineered the "KeylessGo" system that this is based on, and there are several dead spots created on purpose so that a spare key can be left in the vehicle. Most MBZ's have a specific spot in the center console where a spare key can placed and the vehicle can be locked. It's usually not publicized, otherwise, customers would be trying it and locking their keys in the car.

rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #77
GaryGC

I can now say that I am one of the few to do this. I know it was my own fault and am not blaming Jeep.....but what a pain. I was in the grocery store to pick up some meds, as i was walking back to the GC, remote started the vehicle and then opened the hatch. With the hatch opened, I took my coat off, put my meds down along with my key as well. Then I pressed the hatch button in the trunk....Beep, Beep, Beep.....as it closes shut I go to the drivers door and imediatly realise that the door won't open and don't have my key in hand. So the Jeep is running...........and I'm a dork for locking the keys inside.

A 1.4 Mile walk back to the house in 23° temp has (I think) taught me a lesson that I hope to not repeat.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #78
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Post #55 mentions an Axxess #19 key blank, but FYI I just had a spare key made and used Ilco Y159 which is readily available anywhere they cut car keys. It works perfect.

Thank you to those who raised this issue and suggested the fix. I hope to never use it, but ...
2kg4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #79
ComfortablyNumb
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndog View Post
Sure you can:
Removing the Button
1. The ENGINE START/STOP button can be removed
from the ignition switch for key fob use.
2. Insert the metal part of the emergency key under the
chrome bezel at the 6 o’clock position and gently pry the
button loose.
After reading this entire thread with great interest, please tell me if I have interpreted this correctly. Are we saying that one of several ways to have a backup plan is to make a copy of the actual key using key blank Y159 (Ilco) or #19 (Axxess); hide the key in a weather-tight magnetic box somewhere under the vehicle; gain entrance to the vehicle through the driver door only using this key; and (most importantly if the FOB has been lost) use this key to pry off the chrome bezel surrounding the start/stop button at which point the key can be used to start the vehicle?
ComfortablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #80
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
After reading this entire thread with great interest, please tell me if I have interpreted this correctly. Are we saying that one of several ways to have a backup plan is to make a copy of the actual key using key blank Y159 (Ilco) or #19 (Axxess); hide the key in a weather-tight magnetic box somewhere under the vehicle; gain entrance to the vehicle through the driver door only using this key; and (most importantly if the FOB has been lost) use this key to pry off the chrome bezel surrounding the start/stop button at which point the key can be used to start the vehicle?
You have the first part right. The spare key you have made is used to gain access in the driver door. (only one that can access the key) Or lock & unlock your glove compartment.
However you don't use that to start the vehicle if you lose the FOB. It's the FOB that goes in the ignition when you remove the chrome bezel. You'd have to get the spare FOB to start it.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #81
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
You have the first part right. The spare key you have made is used to gain access in the driver door. (only one that can access the key) Or lock & unlock your glove compartment.
However you don't use that to start the vehicle if you lose the FOB. It's the FOB that goes in the ignition when you remove the chrome bezel. You'd have to get the spare FOB to start it.
I am not sure that is a correct statement. I believe if you pry on the button for push button start it will come out and there is a key cylinder behind it you can use the backup key in to start the vehicle. I have only had my JGC for a couple of weeks and haven't tried that yet, but why put a key cylinder there if it can't be used to start the vehicle?

I will try it and see what happens. Has anyone else tried it?
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #82
ComfortablyNumb
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
I am not sure that is a correct statement. I believe if you pry on the button for push button start it will come out and there is a key cylinder behind it you can use the backup key in to start the vehicle. I have only had my JGC for a couple of weeks and haven't tried that yet, but why put a key cylinder there if it can't be used to start the vehicle?

I will try it and see what happens. Has anyone else tried it?
I was just coming back to this page to correct this information when I saw Mick's post. I had gone out to my Jeep to see if something can be "pryed" away to expose a key slot. Unless someone can be a little clearer on how this is done, it ain't happening in my car. Not saying it can't be done, but there is no apparent "6 o'clock" slot to pry into. It would be great if there were a safe way to expose a key slot. This would settle the issue of having to buy and program another FOB that would have to be hidden inside the vehicle. Hopefully someone will come back here and settle this once and for all. This is one of the most important threads I've seen on this forum. One that will be tapped many times.
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #83
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Based on what I am seeing in other posts, my impressions on starting with the spare key are probably completely wrong.

"NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with
the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may
have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up
method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put
the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the
Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and
push to operate the ignition switch."

If that is the case, the only use for the spare key would be to open the door lock if you lock the FOBIK in the vehicle.
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #84
OverlandSummitt

Quote:
I was just coming back to this page to correct this information when I saw Mick's post. I had gone out to my Jeep to see if something can be "pryed" away to expose a key slot. Unless someone can be a little clearer on how this is done, it ain't happening in my car. Not saying it can't be done, but there is no apparent "6 o'clock" slot to pry into. It would be great if there were a safe way to expose a key slot. This would settle the issue of having to buy and program another FOB that would have to be hidden inside the vehicle. Hopefully someone will come back here and settle this once and for all. This is one of the most important threads I've seen on this forum. One that will be tapped many times.
OverlandSummitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #85
jacko15
2014 WK 

That absolutely does not work with the '14. 2kg4u's post (#83) is correct. There's a RFID chip in the fob. It's extremely difficult to lock your fob in the '14 JGC, but with perseverance it can be done.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #86
ComfortablyNumb
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
That absolutely does not work with the '14. 2kg4u's post (#83) is correct. There's a RFID chip in the fob. It's extremely difficult to lock your fob in the '14 JGC, but with perseverance it can be done.
I agree. That YouTube video was from a 2011 JGC. As you pointed out in another thread, things changed in 2014:
"The '14 keyless system is completely different than the '11-'13 system. The dash start button doesn't come off to insert key. If the fob battery dies it uses a NFC system to start the vehicle. I doubt very much if they are interchangeable."

My start button is not surrounded by a chrome bezel so there's nothing to pop off. Also there is nothing on my FOB that can be inserted into anything. I recall reading that if the FOB battery dies, you can start the vehicle by pressing the side of the FOB opposite the hidden key against the start button. Not completely sure about that but it's close. Can't find it again in the instructions but I think that's the way it went. Anyway, I think we've come a long way in correcting some erroneous information about the 2014.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #87
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Since it is possible to lock the FOBIK in the vehicle I feel more comfortable with having a key to unlock the front door available if I need it. I suggest others do this, but I also suggest you not put it in the hitch receiver (too obvious) and I also suggest no one post where they placed it on their vehicle. The last thing we need is a thread providing all the likely spots someone could search on a JGC to find the spare key.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #88
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
I agree. That YouTube video was from a 2011 JGC. As you pointed out in another thread, things changed in 2014:
"The '14 keyless system is completely different than the '11-'13 system. The dash start button doesn't come off to insert key. If the fob battery dies it uses a NFC system to start the vehicle. I doubt very much if they are interchangeable."

My start button is not surrounded by a chrome bezel so there's nothing to pop off. Also there is nothing on my FOB that can be inserted into anything. I recall reading that if the FOB battery dies, you can start the vehicle by pressing the side of the FOB opposite the hidden key against the start button. Not completely sure about that but it's close. Can't find it again in the instructions but I think that's the way it went. Anyway, I think we've come a long way in correcting some erroneous information about the 2014.
I responded to what you said in your original post (79) about popping off the chrome bezel. You brought that up, not me. If you had stated you had a '14 WK2, my response would have different because I know that changed on the '14s. My response is the same for pre 14 WK2, which the OP had when he started this thread in 2010. (in case you didn't notice)
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #89
ComfortablyNumb
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
I responded to what you said in your original post (79) about popping off the chrome bezel. You brought that up, not me. If you had stated you had a '14 WK2, my response would have different because I know that changed on the '14s. My response is the same for pre 14 WK2, which the OP had when he started this thread in 2010. (in case you didn't notice)
Sorry to have offended you. I did notice that the OP started this thread in 2010 but, unlike you, I had no idea that things changed in 2014--which, by the way, is the year of my vehicle as indicated just under my user name (in case you didn't notice).
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #90
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Sorry to have offended you. I did notice that the OP started this thread in 2010 but, unlike you, I had no idea that things changed in 2014--which, by the way, is the year of my vehicle as indicated just under my user name (in case you didn't notice).
Not offended at all. Like I said, I responded to what you asked about originally about removing the chrome bezel. Simple as that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.