You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #61
97HMCS
2012 WK 

I feel for those who have locked their keys inside. I know it is a drag, but come-on, you can't blame the vehicle.

If you leave your keys at the restaurant, do you blame the restaurant?

97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #62
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
I feel for those who have locked their keys inside. I know it is a drag, but come-on, you can't blame the vehicle.

If you leave your keys at the restaurant, do you blame the restaurant?
x2

I don't think there is a design flaw. You have to leave the fob inside the car, open the door, lock it from the handle, then close the door. The jeep doesn't just magically lock by itself, you have to touch something.

How did you guys get along when you had a key? Did you lock that in your vehicle and complain about it back then?
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #63
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Key Fob

I leave the key fob in my GC and then go off work my dogs or work pens and set sheep at herding trial. I have closed all the doors and windows and I just pull the door handle to get in. Heck I left the fob in the back storage compartment and just started my GC up.

I used to love my old 3 series since you had to lock the drivers door with key to lock yourself you out. My VWs were the same. Now if you were really brilliant you could lock yourself out but it took some real stupidity.

I still cant figure out how you can lock yourself out if you have remote start and the fob is in the GC.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #64
Sturgie525
2012 WK 

I am not blaming the car, I was just surprised that you can lock the doors with the fob inside. I would have thought if the fob is inside the vehicle you would be able to unlock it from the outside since it would be "in range". I also owned VW's in the past and it is nearly impossible (I would say impossible but I am sure someone has done it) to lock your keys in the car. I am sure someone hit the lock button when they exited the vehicle so it is human error but like I said, I was just surprised I could not just unlock it like normal. And of course I was extra alarmed since the baby was in the vehicle at the time, so glad we were just in the drive way at home and not out and about.
Sturgie525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #65
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgie525 View Post
I am not blaming the car, I was just surprised that you can lock the doors with the fob inside. I would have thought if the fob is inside the vehicle you would be able to unlock it from the outside since it would be "in range". I also owned VW's in the past and it is nearly impossible (I would say impossible but I am sure someone has done it) to lock your keys in the car. I am sure someone hit the lock button when they exited the vehicle so it is human error but like I said, I was just surprised I could not just unlock it like normal. And of course I was extra alarmed since the baby was in the vehicle at the time, so glad we were just in the drive way at home and not out and about.
I sure can appreciate your concern, especially with a baby in the vehicle.

I was referring to the post by Cockerel1978 who currently has a major complaint with jeep as a result of locking their FOB inside the jeep.
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #66
Sturgie525
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
I sure can appreciate your concern, especially with a baby in the vehicle.

I was referring to the post by Cockerel1978 who currently has a major complaint with jeep as a result of locking their FOB inside the jeep.
Gotcha, no worries.
Sturgie525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #67
Cockerel1978

I was there. My wife put baby in back seat. There is no where for her to hit a lock button. As soon as she's hit the door the car locked itself. Period.
Cockerel1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #68
Cockerel1978

Hit=shut
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #69
Cockerel1978

Listen man, there's gotta be a flaw, it's happened to quite a few on this forum...even if she did hit a lock button, which she did not, I was there, and it was a rear door, it's suppose to give u 3 tries before it licks anyways...and also there should be a means of getting in the car without breaking the glass, in the case of locking both sets in the car.
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #70
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Just saying you can't blame the jeep or Chrysler if you lock your FOB in the vehicle.
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #71
oruacat2

Just got home with my used 2012 WK2 and holy cow, am I glad I saw this thread. Haven't looked at the manual yet, but this thread has been very helpful. I had no idea about the metal key INSIDE the fob - that's just bizarre - although I did wonder why the vehicle had traditional keyholes on the drivers door, the glove-box, etc.
BTW - how do you lock that glovebox? Should the dealer have provided me with a traditional key as well, or is the buyer just expected to go that extra mile himself/herself?
oruacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #72
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
BTW - how do you lock that glovebox? Should the dealer have provided me with a traditional key as well, or is the buyer just expected to go that extra mile himself/herself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
the metal key INSIDE the fob
You answered it yourself.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #73
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Will the fob still work as it should if the key isn't in it?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #74
kkreit01

Easy solution, and cost would be less than $100. Use an exterior keypad like Ford does. Yeah -yeah, many say it's easy to hack/break into those. No one did nor tried on the several I had throughout the years. If someone wants in your car that bad, they are going to get in anyway.

Some say it's no different than if you had a standard key, and if you locked the keys inside. I disagree. The whole design of the system is so you do not need to have your keys in your hand. If we needed a key to start the engine, they would be in our hand, and not in a bag, coat, etc. (or somewhere else in the car). They've blocked every other method of accidentally locking your FOB inside. They just need to add the exterior buttons on the door handles, and rear hatch to the list. Maybe it does lock itself, but I have yet to see that.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #75
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Easy solution, and cost would be less than $100. Use an exterior keypad like Ford does. Yeah -yeah, many say it's easy to hack/break into those. No one did nor tried on the several I had throughout the years. If someone wants in your car that bad, they are going to get in anyway.

Some say it's no different than if you had a standard key, and if you locked the keys inside. I disagree. The whole design of the system is so you do not need to have your keys in your hand. If we needed a key to start the engine, they would be in our hand, and not in a bag, coat, etc. (or somewhere else in the car). They've blocked every other method of accidentally locking your FOB inside. They just need to add the exterior buttons on the door handles, and rear hatch to the list. Maybe it does lock itself, but I have yet to see that.
my last car was a ford that had the keypad. that was the best thing when going to the gym or dirtbike riding, just lock everything in the car and go. I hate carrying my keys with me when i know I am going to be rolling down a hill quite possibly into cold water at the bottom when riding/crashing my dirtbike.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.