You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #46
stillen

i lock my FOB in car

Guys.

I leave the spare "FOB" in my truck with no problems, and i have a spre cut door key hidden under the truck.

i know you are worried about having the spare fob be able to unlock or start the vehicle.... i fixed that by wrapping the fob in aluminum foil and hiding it in my truck.... also i thought about just removing the battery...

this way if im at the worksite and i loose my primary key, i can still get in my truck by using the cut spare hidden under the truck, and i can still start my truck aftr i unwrap the fob of aluminum foil......

Wife's rig.... 2012...GC...24x.......blk on blk.....5.7...

05...dodge ram hemi quad 4x4..this thing sucks on fuel
stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #47
mderick
1946 CJ2A 

OK, now I have to ask a question.
first, I am not an owner yet, but this is an interesting conversation.
my question, if I read this correctly, is that if the vehicle is running (perhpas with out remote start) and the key fob is inside the vehicle you can not lock the doors? if this is true it will kill my wife, she likes the doors locked while she drives in the City.
Second, if I have a key cut and hide it on the vehicle, and then loose my fob, say while climbing or hiking, I can not use just the key to start the vehicle?

thanks in advance for your comments to this.
mderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
WvTaco
2011 WK 

there is no key to start the car the fob starts it. so a cut key will just get u inside.

u can lock the car while running.
i get out with my key wife still in the car with hers,car running i push the black piece it locks.
plus it has central locking at 15mph.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #49
mderick
1946 CJ2A 

Thanks WvTaco !!

Now I am going to have to think of what to do about the climbing, backcountry skiing etc. It's so easy to loose something that's in one's pack while out in the mountains, I've seen it many times.
My 'ol 46 doesn't have this issue ...Ha !!

mderick
mderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #50
tfandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco
there is no key to start the car the fob starts it. so a cut key will just get u inside.
I thought there's a key slot under the start button incase the fob loses its battery. I haven't looked though.
tfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #51
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

Supposedly you can pull the button out of the dash and use the cut key. Otherwise you couldn't start the thing if the battery died. There is a key slot behind the button. In fact, you can pull the damn button out and just always use the key iffin you can't get the hang of the fob so that you can deal with it
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
marathon mark

Stillin,
what key blank did you use to make your spare? I have tried a couple, but no success yet. I think this is the way to go. At least you can get in the car, and if it is running, case closed........
marathon mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #53
stillen

It's key blank. Y159...... I only use to get into car, using the cylinder lock on drivers door..... It's a complete fail safe.... I also got a good quality magnetic "hide a key" from the local locksmith.... The locksmith also provided the blank and cut....the key also unlocks /locks the glove box...

Just to add.... Since the last few threads of these were started I did a few things and experiments.... Most recently I left the "third" fob without a battery tucked neatly under my spare tire. I took the battery out of the fob and placed both fob and battery in a ziplock ...... So when I go swimming/ hiking / snowmobiling / climbing the k2 / shark fishing etc what ever it may be... if I ever loose the fob I locked my car with I can use the hidden key to get into my vehicle, and then I can grab the fob and battery, assesmble it, and start my vehicle..... I mean sure if a thief can get in, find this, yes he can start my vehicle, and if he goes through that much trouble, he needs it much more than I.

The disassembled fob allows me to lock the vehicle and doesn't interfere with normal everyday function.

Wife's rig.... 2012...GC...24x.......blk on blk.....5.7...

05...dodge ram hemi quad 4x4..this thing sucks on fuel
stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #54
mtndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
Sure you can:

Keyless Enter-N-Go
This feature allows the driver to operate
the ignition switch with the push
of a button, as long as the ENGINE
START/STOP button is installed and
the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter
is in the passenger compartment.
Installing and Removing the ENGINE
START/STOP Button
Installing the Button
1. Remove the key fob from the ignition switch.
2. Insert the ENGINE START/STOP button into the
ignition switch with the lettering facing up and readable.
3. Press firmly on the center of the button to secure it into
position.
Removing the Button
1. The ENGINE START/STOP button can be removed
from the ignition switch for key fob use.
2. Insert the metal part of the emergency key under the
chrome bezel at the 6 o’clock position and gently pry the
button loose.
mtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #55
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon mark View Post
Stillin,
what key blank did you use to make your spare? I have tried a couple, but no success yet. I think this is the way to go. At least you can get in the car, and if it is running, case closed........
I got one made at Home Depot earlier today. It was an Axxess #19 key blank. Works great and fits in the wallet nicely.
BobsWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #56
salukigirl

Keys locked in with engine running!

The car (2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee) is on our driveway, the engine is running and the keys are inside and the doors automatically locked as we transferred a car seat from this car to another. How the hell do you get in! Thank god our baby wasn't inside. According to our local Jeep dealer this can't happen! Duh!
salukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #57
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Interesting thread. I could see this happening at any given time to anyone if you're in a hurry or get distracted at the moment.
I've had Ford Explorers in the past & I always said the feature I loved the most was the keyless pad on the door. No worries about getting locked out of your vehicle with that. (unless you forget your # code ) Most times I'd leave the keys in the console & use the keypad.....loved it.
Some guys mentioned having a spare key made, which seems like a good idea. So does that mean the fob won't work if the original factory key isn't left in it?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #58
Sturgie525
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
Ok, here's the scoop from a Jeep tech (a close friend), the keyless sensor modules located in the two front doors and the rear liftgate can only sense or read the remote if it is located outside (even if the windows are open) and the sensor module located inside (part of the switch/ start button) can only detect the remote if it is inside and within five feet of the start button. So if your remote is inside and you try the unlock buttons on the door handles your SOL.
With this info I think it would be OK to keep a spare remote hidden in the Jeep (as long as it is in the back) and a spare hard key hidden outside somewhere.
This just happened to me this weekend. We had come home, everyone got out of the car, somehow the doors locked. The fob was inside the car...along with the baby! Could not unlock the car from the outside. Luckily we were home and could get the spare to get the doors open. Kind of freaked me out though that this could happen.
Sturgie525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #59
Cockerel1978

This just happened to me. I got a major complaint with jeep now. I had to break window of my car cuz baby was inside and no one could open it.
Cockerel1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
kkreit01

My wife locked herself out this summer -- with her cell phone, purse, everything else in the Jeep. I came to bail her out, after she called me from the store. I was 25 min away. She was then late for work. Later that evening, I tested all scenarios at home. She had put everything (keys, purse, bag) in the passenger seat, and closed the door. She then walked around to the driver's door, and it was locked. I found the only way she could have done this, was to accidentally touch the black lock button on the outside handle -- while closing the passenger door. With the door open, this is the only way I could get ours to lock. I tried the lock buttons inside the car, and it didn't lock. Hit the key FOB button, and wouldn't lock. It is a stupid design. There shouldn't be a way to lock it with FOB inside -- when the vehicle is not running. I always keep the keys in my pocket. It will never be a problem for me. For females, I can see this as a problem often -- if they keep keys in purse, or anything not on your body.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.