You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #31
Moparluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
just kinda a side thought not meaning to troll... but aren't you not supposed to lock your keys in your vechicle...ever?

What stopped us from locking them in 15 years ago..

Common sense?
It's a whole different ball game now that you don't have to put your key in the ignition. I get in the habit of putting my keys in the cup holder or on the passenger seat. Prior to this when you had to pull your keys out of your ignition the keys are in your hand already.

Moparluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #32
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparluvr View Post
It's a whole different ball game now that you don't have to put your key in the ignition. I get in the habit of putting my keys in the cup holder or on the passenger seat. Prior to this when you had to pull your keys out of your ignition the keys are in your hand already.
OK on that note, why put them in those places? Why not leave them in your pocket or purse? You don't need to get them out to open or start it.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #33
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi

OK on that note, why put them in those places? Why not leave them in your pocket or purse? You didn't need to get them out to open or start it.
Most likely there are many reasons but the most obvious is when you done have pockets or a purse. For instance, when I go to the gym I don't have pockets so my keys will be in my hands or gym bag. If there in my hands they end up in the cup holder. If they are in my gym bag they stay there. If I stop off at the store on the way home then there is a chance of leaving them behind. The best answer I have found is to get a duplicate key made and store it with a hide a key box under the Jeep somewhere.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #34
77rednecktruck

In all of my other cars that did not have the push button thing, I managed to go to the gym without pockets and still start my car just fine. In my Jeep, I do the same thing. I keep the keys with me. I don't get why people think that not putting the key in the ignition means that everything is different than the past 75 years of having a key that had to be put in the ignition.

I did have a Crown Vic that had the keyless entry pad on the door and that was awesome. I always locked the keys in the car and used the keypad to get back in.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck
In all of my other cars that did not have the push button thing, I managed to go to the gym without pockets and still start my car just fine. In my Jeep, I do the same thing. I keep the keys with me. I don't get why people think that not putting the key in the ignition means that everything is different than the past 75 years of having a key that had to be put in the ignition.

I did have a Crown Vic that had the keyless entry pad on the door and that was awesome. I always locked the keys in the car and used the keypad to get back in.
Starting the Jeep is not really the question (locking keys inside is) and not having to put a key in the ignition is very different from from prior years when the feature was not available. For instance, many assumed the computer would know a key is inside and help prevent from accidental locking from the outside if the key is inside. It is also different than older ignitions in that when you wanted to turn off the car you would reach for the keys and have them in your hand when exiting. This is not the case with push button. The keys could be in the back of the car and it is possible for anyone to just exit the car without taking the keys with them since the " out of sight out of mind" thing is real.
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #36
Moparluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post

I guess you are just plain smarter than me
Moparluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #37
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparluvr View Post
I guess you are just plain smarter than me
I highly doubt that...

I just keep the same routine as my other car that doesn't have the start button. I keep the keys with me at all times. I don't know why I would ever throw the key into a bag in the rear of the car or leave it in the cup holder.
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I highly doubt that...

I just keep the same routine as my other car that doesn't have the start button. I keep the keys with me at all times. I don't know why I would ever throw the key into a bag in the rear of the car or leave it in the cup holder.
This convo is turning funny...so when you don't have pockets and then still ues the push button start maybe we don't want to know where you put your keys. I am visualizing you holding them in your hands while you drive; scared to let them out of your sight.
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #39
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutandplay View Post
This convo is turning funny...so when you don't have pockets and then still ues the push button start maybe we don't want to know where you put your keys. I am visualizing you holding them in your hands while you drive; scared to let them out of your sight.
I carry duct tape and a paper clip, MacGyver style.

I very rarely don't have pockets though. I wear normal cloths to the gym and change there. When I am working in the yard and need the trailer for stuff, I have jeans on. etc...
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #40
DanT18

Spare Key Question

Is it possible to take the mechanical key out of the 2011 GC fob and have a duplicate copy cut? I like to keep a spare stashed on the car somewhere.
DanT18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #41
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT18 View Post
Is it possible to take the mechanical key out of the 2011 GC fob and have a duplicate copy cut? I like to keep a spare stashed on the car somewhere.
Yes, it is possible. Just keep in mind - mechanical key only opens driver side front door. Does NOTHING else.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
DanT18

Thanks, but can't you then use the key in the ignition? That would be the whole point.
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #43
Stephen5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT18 View Post
Thanks, but can't you then use the key in the ignition? That would be the whole point.
I thought the whole point was; that one had locked their electronic key fob inside the car with out access. The spare mechanical key would open the door and then you could use the electronic fob from that point to start the ignition as usual.

I don't believe you can start the vehicle without the electronics of the key fob being present. If the battery on the fob dies, you can remove the start button and insert the fob in a slot behind the start button to start the vehicle.
Stephen5242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #44
DanT18

I was thinking that if you lost the key entirely in a remote location you would be able to start the car and go. You're probably right about the electronics needing to be present.

I keep a key under the license plate of my 2006 Suburban, and it has been handy on more than one occasion. 2006 is so old school though!
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #45
Ungerer

If start button is out you can start it with your finger. but you would need key ! I have started it like that ! But I don't think it would work if you lost key ;(
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.