You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Ok, here's the scoop from a Jeep tech (a close friend), the keyless sensor modules located in the two front doors and the rear liftgate can only sense or read the remote if it is located outside (even if the windows are open) and the sensor module located inside (part of the switch/ start button) can only detect the remote if it is inside and within five feet of the start button. So if your remote is inside and you try the unlock buttons on the door handles your SOL.
With this info I think it would be OK to keep a spare remote hidden in the Jeep (as long as it is in the back) and a spare hard key hidden outside somewhere.

2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

I guess you would also turn off your car and not be able to start it again to come back home. Crazy.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #18
Marcus86GLHS

the threat of accidently locking the keys in any vehicle makes life a little more interesting. that threat helps keep you alert. glad to read that the new GC is still in the mix of this tradition.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
JoeSchmoe007

Did anyone ever use locksmith to unlock the car in similar situation? How do they do this? Do they use lock pick or some less advanced methods (and then there is a risk of scratching or other car damage)?
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
DuneCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Did anyone ever use locksmith to unlock the car in similar situation? How do they do this? Do they use lock pick or some less advanced methods (and then there is a risk of scratching or other car damage)?
You mean like a brick?

2011 Overland HEMI
DuneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneCrawler View Post
You mean like a brick?
No, like squeezing a ruler or some other objects between the door and a glass.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
stewmeny

Also locked keys in car with remote start

So.....I remote started my car....left the keys in the center console....got out...and couldn't get back in. It seems like when you remote start the car...it doesn't beep and automatically unlock for you when you leave the keys in the car. My wife is not happy.
stewmeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
I valet parked my car the other day. Valet drove off with the keys in the cupholder, turned the car off, left the keys inside, and pressed the lock button on the inside of the car, then shut the door. Keys inside and door locked from inside, it would not let me open by putting my hand on the handle.
Ended up calling a company called pop a lock. They put a wedge in the bottom of the passenger window, stuck a thin rod down there (similar to a slim jim), hit some button, and the lock popped up. It definitley wasn't a pull up, rather he hit some kind of switch and it unlocked the door.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Sorry to hear others have been locked out but I am a little glad I am not alone.

I highly recommend taking the actual key out of the fob (does everyone know there is an actual old fashioned key inside?) and get a copy made. Then, get a hide a key box and secure it somewhere hidden with this copy made. It sucks to get locked out the first time and I can only imagine the second time is MUCH worse of a feeling.
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
JTS97Z28

Best thing to do is leave the fob in your pocket instead of taking it out and putting it in the console or something. My C6 vette has keyless go and I don't think it let's you lock the keys in it. If you close a door with the fob inside it will not lock and if you try to with say the door switch it will honk at you and not let you lock it. Same with nissans anytime you lock with a fob in the car it beeps at you and will not lock the car.
James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #26
Powermax

Wk Fob

I got caught up in this too.

What I found is it only works with the drivers door lock.

Toss the fob in and lock any other door than drivers and you are SOL.
Powermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
chesterblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutandplay View Post
Yup, it is very easy to lock the keys in the Jeep. It knows to prevent locking if it senses the key inside. That is unless you enable remote start, open the lift gate, toss in keys (they were in my gym bag), and close the lift gate. Engine running with keys locked in. Not fun.
auto locksmith brooklyn
astoria locksmith
locksmith williamsburg
chesterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #28
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterblue
Jeep roadside assistance is a better one to call. They will send someone who is local...I doubt the company in the links will help being thousands of miles away.
Unread 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
the threat of accidently locking the keys in any vehicle makes life a little more interesting. that threat helps keep you alert. glad to read that the new GC is still in the mix of this tradition.
just kinda a side thought not meaning to troll... but aren't you not supposed to lock your keys in your vechicle...ever?

What stopped us from locking them in 15 years ago..

Common sense?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
Moparluvr

Alright - I locked my keys in the car with my kids in the car. My dad and I exited the vehicle and mistakingly left my keys in the cup holder by the gear selector. Upon exiting the vehicle the doors locked as one of us were shutting the door. I'm not sure if my dad hit the lock button on the inside or hit the exterior lock button or if I did. But the doors did lock and they did not reopen when hitting any of the buttons on the exterior or touching the door handle like you would with the key in your pocket.

I didn't think the doors could lock with the keys on the inside. Again - the keys were located in the front cup holder of the vehicle.

Luckily one of the windows was cracked a bit and I was very close to home so I had someone go in the house and get my spare. My cell phone was also in the Jeep so it could have gotten ugly under different circumstances. Luckily someone was home near my house and my dad had his phone and it was nice outside. My younger son slept through the whole thing and older son played peek-a-boo with me for a bit until he got pissed off enough to start crying.
Moparluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.