You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

You CAN lock the keys in the new Grand

Yup, it is very easy to lock the keys in the Jeep. It knows to prevent locking if it senses the key inside. That is unless you enable remote start, open the lift gate, toss in keys (they were in my gym bag), and close the lift gate. Engine running with keys locked in. Not fun.

getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

If they where near the lift gate you should have been able to press the button on the lift gate and unlock it. It works for me that way, I just tried.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Did you enable remote start? Mine won't unlock using that button.
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
riverzendz
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's why they give you a spare.
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Yes, except a spare is not always carried around with you and this mistake could happen while far from home or out on the trail. Therefore, the spare must be hidden on the vehicle somewhere (hide a key) but kept safe from water and freezing temps. The best option is take the key itself out of the fob and have a duplicate key made that can be safely hidden under the vehicle.
Unread 11-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
ecupip

How did you activate the remote start without the keys in your hand? The good news is it will only run for 15mins and then shut off. You should have been able to grab any door handle or hit the button on the rear tailgate to open since the key was within 5 ft. of the car.
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

The keys were in my hand when remote start was initiated. Check out the first post for the order of events. I was hoping that after the engine shuts off it would allow it to be unlocked by touching the door handles but nope.
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
ecupip

I understood the order, just trying to figure out why you would remote start the car then put the keys in your gym bag knowing you were putting it into the back of the car, lol
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Sorry....thought you asked how I enabled remote start without the keys in my hand. Actually, you did ask that.
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

Mine won't remote start with the rear glass (or any door open for that matter), but if I remote start it with the flipper glass closed I can't open the flipper glass without first unlocking it and that unlocks all my doors.

But your right, it will lock your remote inside if you use remote start. When I tried this yesterday my second remote (in my pocket) must have been the reason it would unlock by pushing the button. When I tried this again today I made sure the second remote was far enough away and it would not let me unlock anywhere until I brought the second remote closer. Hope this makes sense.
I don't think hiding a remote would help because then anyone may be able to gain entry since the remote would be hidden but within operating range.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

@2011Hemi - Ahhh...you are exactly correct in that hiding the remote is not a good idea. Not only for the rain, freezing temps, and other elements but mostly because of security as you point out. Good call.

You are also correct on the flipper glass issue but try the same process but opening the lift gate using the remote. It will remote start, then let you open the liftgate, then since your keys are inside you will have to close the lift gate with the side button inside the jeep and not use the remote. When the lift gate closes....locked out with the engine running. Good times.
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
DuneCrawler

Oh crap! I just KNOW I am going to do this

2011 Overland HEMI
DuneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
ecupip

Guess they aren't fool proof. The good thing is the car at least beeps constantly telling you the key isn't in the car......

My 2008 mini cooper has the keyless go. Once I started the car backed it out of the garage then forgot something inside the house. I used my key to open the door to the house., then set my mini key on the counter and grabbed the key to my LR by accident on the way out. I Drove all the way to work and then realized when I couldn't lock the car I had the wrong key in my pocket. I was so ticked that the whole way to work the car didn't once tell me I didn't have the key with me.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
Guess they aren't fool proof. The good thing is the car at least beeps constantly telling you the key isn't in the car......

My 2008 mini cooper has the keyless go. Once I started the car backed it out of the garage then forgot something inside the house. I used my key to open the door to the house., then set my mini key on the counter and grabbed the key to my LR by accident on the way out. I Drove all the way to work and then realized when I couldn't lock the car I had the wrong key in my pocket. I was so ticked that the whole way to work the car didn't once tell me I didn't have the key with me.
Thats weird whenever this technology first came out my friends mom had a Nissan with it and she took it to be valet parked and the guy drove off and once it was out of range of the key fob it stalled.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
ecupip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
Thats weird whenever this technology first came out my friends mom had a Nissan with it and she took it to be valet parked and the guy drove off and once it was out of range of the key fob it stalled.
That is the way it should be. Then if you ever got car jacked they wouldn't make it very far.....I guess they were worried it might cause an accident sooner or later.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.