Yakima Whispbar Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Yakima Whispbar Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 01-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
spinxt

Yakima Whispbar Rack

Installed my Yakima Whispbar rack system last night. I'm VERY impressed. I can see why Yakima bought Whispbar. It's a great system. And true to advertising, it is QUIET! The Whispbar base rack with the ski snowboard carrier on top is more quiet than just the MOPAR base rack I had on my 2011...very impressed

spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
MJS
2014 WK 

Pics? Does it attach to the existing roof rail?
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS
Pics? Does it attach to the existing roof rail?
Yup, you remove the forward most and rearward most torx screws with and included wrench and install a longer "post" style screw that the rack adapts to. Superior quality and super easy install. The brushed aluminum finish looks awesome with my black GC.

image-1279788130.jpg
Unread 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

Interesting...I found their "fit kit" to not fit well at all and were not sealed on the inside. I ended up returning mine. It's too bad because the bars look great.
Tweezer19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
jeepclimber

Interesting indeed. I though that there neither Yakima nor Thule is making bars for the Jeep OEM rails.

Where did you buy the Whispbar crossbars and what are the part numbers?
jeepclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepclimber
Interesting indeed. I though that there neither Yakima nor Thule is making bars for the Jeep OEM rails. Where did you buy the Whispbar crossbars and what are the part numbers?
Just go to Yakima.com and use the "fit my vehicle" link. You can also do the same on ETrailer.com and RackAttack.com. It's pretty straight forward. I believe it was the S25 bars and the k624 fit it. Double check, not 100% sure.
Unread 01-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweezer19
Interesting...I found their "fit kit" to not fit well at all and were not sealed on the inside. I ended up returning mine. It's too bad because the bars look great.
I had to play around with the length of the bar adjustment to get the rubber foot to sit right. Looks pretty good now.

Not sure why the insides of the feet aren't covered with plastic, however I tried removing the nut securing the bars and it's impossible, so it's not an issue in terms of rack security.

The look and performance from a noise standpoint is big win and I was willing to over look the small details.
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
TriBeer

Are the cross bars easily removable if you aren't using them?
TriBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBeer
Are the cross bars easily removable if you aren't using them?
Yup, bars can be removed with the supplied wrench (which I keep in the glove box) in less than 5 minutes.
Unread 07-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Tweezer19
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
Installed my Yakima Whispbar rack system last night. I'm VERY impressed. I can see why Yakima bought Whispbar. It's a great system. And true to advertising, it is QUIET! The Whispbar base rack with the ski snowboard carrier on top is more quiet than just the MOPAR base rack I had on my 2011...very impressed
Is that the Whispbar Ski Rack in your picture?
Unread 07-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweezer19
Is that the Whispbar Ski Rack in your picture?
Yes it is
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Cuban_Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
Yup, you remove the forward most and rearward most torx screws with and included wrench and install a longer "post" style screw that the rack adapts to. Superior quality and super easy install. The brushed aluminum finish looks awesome with my black GC.

Attachment 1777377
Where did you get those running boards? I like them!
Cuban_Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban_Overland
Where did you get those running boards? I like them!
They aren't running boards, they are MOPAR rock rails. Not worth the investment unless you plan on off roading. They are way more expensive than running boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.