Yakima Landing Pads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Yakima Landing Pads

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yakima Landing Pads

I did a search, and couldn't find anything on them. So I'm throwing this out there to see if anyone has played with them...

What I'm talking about is these "Landing Pad 1" mounts. It's been about a month since I was looking at WK2's in person (waiting for ours to go out of D1 status at the plant), but best I remember, there is the distinct possibility something like this could work on the rails on top of the WK2. They aren't listed as fitting the WK2, that I can find. Any thoughts by anyone?

rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
cesarvillanueva
2011 WK 

I just installed the yakima rail grab on my factory side rails of my 2011. Check them out online but make sure you call the yakima 1800 number because you will need to get a new claw in order for them to work right. they will send it to you for free. Not all customer service agents know about it so make sure you insist on it. Good luck.
cesarvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I assume this is what you're talking about?
http://www.yakima.com/shop/baserack/railgrab

Thanks for the info, especially on the claws. I had run across the RailGrab on the Yakima site by plugging in my vehicle info. Good to hear that they work well.

I was just hoping that I could use the landing pads, if possible. The reason being that we had already invested in getting everything set up for landing pads on our 2001 XJ Cherokee before it got totaled. Had gotten many good years out of the system, but really all the components from the landing-pads up have many MORE good years in them. The other advantage to the landing pads is the "control towers" are quick-release, and take the cross-bars with them. So, you get back to the basic aerodynamics of the standard vehicle with very little effort. Is that the case with the RailGrab also?
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
cesarvillanueva
2011 WK 

Once set up they can be removed but it might not be as easy as your other system. Rei has all the Yakima mounts on sale 20% off. Www.rei.com. They might have free shipping. Not sure if there is an rei where you live. Also beware the bars did make some noise from the wind. I got the 38" Yakima wind fairing and they helped a great amount. Most of the noise is gone. Be sure to make sure you tighten up nice and good. After my first install they shifted a little bit after hauling a bike on the top. Otherwise solid setup and i am able to use all the other Yakima products I already own. I totaled my 94 Grand Cherokee a month ago so I know how that goes. Good luck.
cesarvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can grab those and just stick them on the end of my load bars as they are, so it won't be TOO bad a change-over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.