Xenon lights in overland/summit - blinding ?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Xenon lights in overland/summit - blinding ?!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
gregory30

Xenon lights in overland/summit - blinding ?!

Hello

I have noticed that my xenon lights are blinding others on the road, they are placed much higher than in others cars,mayby thats the reason, can i set the height of lights like in usual car lapms?
(MY14)
did you notice the same problem?

gregory30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There were some reports and discussion awhile ago. There are headlight adjustment instructions written up in the modification sticky thread.

These lights seem to glare more when new, and dirt or moisture in the lens will also cause more glare.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post17968946
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Since you live in Poland????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory30 View Post
Hello

I have noticed that my xenon lights are blinding others on the road, they are placed much higher than in others cars,mayby thats the reason, can i set the height of lights like in usual car lapms?
(MY14)
did you notice the same problem?

Does your GC come with any kind of headlight height adjusters. Many cars sold in the EU do. If your GC is still under warranty you might have the dealer check the adjustment of your headlights.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
gregory30

mine summit is purchased in USA, so it has the same configuration as yours,
i see the solution with screwdriver, i will try
gregory30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 2014s may be different but worth a shot. Let us know.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I had the same problem when my 2014 was new. 9/10 people would flash me on the hwy. I just adjusted them gradually lower until people stopped. Now I rarely to never get flashed anymore.
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Need to be properly adjusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
I had the same problem when my 2014 was new. 9/10 people would flash me on the hwy. I just adjusted them gradually lower until people stopped. Now I rarely to never get flashed anymore.
Who cares if idiots are flashing you. Adjust the headlights so they provide proper coverage. Have your dealer do it.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
TurboRush

Keep in mind the Summits have auto leveling (and swivel) lights. Before you go adjusting I'd find a flat surface with a wall, point the vehicle at the wall and see if the level looks appropriate (cut off line should probably be right at or below hood level) - if theres something wrong it should be obvious.

I've found that the auto-leveling head lights can blind or appear to be high beams under certain situations such as cresting a hill where the lights are moving and make it look much brighter or they adjust right into the site line of the other driver. It's happened to me where I've thought someones highs were on until I realized it was just their headlights making constant adjustments - BMWs are the worst IMHO.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
David1
2014 WK 

The problem is the people looking at them!
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
boyvan
2012 WK 

I got flashed few times when I first got an Overland even though I have auto-leveling lights. One day my wife was driving in front of me and she said that my one light is much brighter than the other. So i checked the light against a wall and realized one light was stuck in one position. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole head light unit. Now i havent been flashed in a while but this also probably means my lights are not as new/bright.
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I don't think I've ever been flashed with the factory HID lights in my 2008 or my 2014. My old rig had a problem where the auto-leveling function had the passenger side pointed too low, but never too high. As someone else said, find a level surface close to a wall and you should see a sharp cutoff on the beam pattern lower than the headlight itself.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
tuxedoblack11

Here's how you adjust your headlights.
measure the centerline of the projector with the tape measure then back up 25ft on a level surface from a wall and measure the cut off line on the wall. It should be 2 inches lower than the height of the projector for proper beam angle.
tuxedoblack11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
MattXJ
2014 WK 

That's great advice, but my struggle is finding a 25ft long, ideally at least 6 foot wide, perfectly level surface. Because even slightly unlevel, at 25ft, makes a significant difference.

I just cranked them down from the factory setting, in very small measured increments, until people on the hwy stopped flashing me.
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
tuxedoblack11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ
That's great advice, but my struggle is finding a 25ft long, ideally at least 6 foot wide, perfectly level surface. Because even slightly unlevel, at 25ft, makes a significant difference. I just cranked them down from the factory setting, in very small measured increments, until people on the hwy stopped flashing me.
try the back wall at Walmart, most of em I've worked at are perfectly level and no one is around, except for the cameras
tuxedoblack11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.