Would you purchase it again? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Would you purchase it again?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
pivotalrex

Would you purchase it again?

Looking into pulling the trigger on a '12 Overland V8. Trying to get over the stigma that Jeep/Chrysler seems to have about build quality. After reading many posts here it seems two of the biggest issues are 1) air suspension and 2) 730N Radio.

It sounds like the air suspension is hit/miss and those that had an issue have had good results with new compressors etc.

What about the Nav system? Does everyone have an issue with Memory? And is it true the Database is seriously outdated?

Although a nav radio may not be a deal breaker for some, I can't see purchasing a 45k vehicle if it has a sub par system.

So, if you purchased a limited/overland with the 730, do you have issues? Would you purchase the Grand Cherokee again?

Appreciate your help.

pivotalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
txwest
2012 WK 

Have an overland with QL and 730. I would buy 3 more if I could afford it. ZERO problems.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
airec13
2012 WK 

I picked up a '12 Overland V6 recently. Build quality is excellent. I would definitely buy again. The ONLY thing missing would be a 6.4L HEMI! Too bad when I inquired about the SRT-8, the dealer looked at me with straight face and said, "you can't afford that". lol

Air suspension was a must for me. Awesome.

IMO the nav is next to worthless. No real issues; just it's only good for me if I have an address to type in for turn-by-turn. I prefer to use google maps on my phone.
airec13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
magr80
2011 WK 

Bought an Overland Summit last Feb. No probs at all so far. Over 10,000 miles. Quadra Lift works every time. I have the Garmin 430N. That's why we bought this particular vehicle off the lot. Didn't like the 730. Just our preference having no prior experience with nav systems. Love it every time I get in it.

Now, my wifes 2003 Mercedes E500 that just cost me $3000 to replace the airmatic system on the front right after having the left side replaced a few years ago under warranty ... couldn't give me another MB
magr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
rmcalis
2011 WK 

I have an '11 Overland (build date Feb '11) which has the older 730N RER nav system. I find it to be very accurate in turn by turn and destinations with no memory issues. The newer RHR system should be the same with better music options.
I use the QL for parking each time I drive and it has been flawless since the dealer cleared some codes when it was new. I have raised it to OR I and II for washing the wheel wells and for maintenance. It worked as described with no issues.
When reading forums, keep in mind that you will see questions about problems found by just a handful of owners, people with no problems rarely post about it.
I'd purchase it again.
rmcalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
JPi1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a '11 GC limited, Hemi, loaded, nav, air susp. Love it! The quality is outstanding, it drives fantastic! It gets 19.9 mpg on the hwy, my 08 rubicon has got 15.5 at best.
A friend of mine got a V-6 GC for a rental and liked it so much he bought the Hemi version!
JPi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
pivotalrex

thanks everyone. I was really surprised with how well the overland handled on the road, not to mention the comfort. I'm sure the air suspension played a part in that.

rmcalis...good point on the negative vs positive comments

now it's just a matter of how much I get raked on my trade in since I'm using truecar as a negotiating tool.
pivotalrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

I've only got 1600 miles on mine, but I love it. The Nav works great, but it's irritating voice commanding a destination. Manual entry is faster. But you know, you can't beat Google Nav on your phone.
Love the air sus, love everything about it. Fantastic vehicle. Get the hemi or you'll always wish you did
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

To each his own, but using a navigation system that chimes and tells me when and where to turn makes me feel retarded.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
MINNJeepRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by magr80 View Post
Bought an Overland Summit last Feb. No probs at all so far. Over 10,000 miles. Quadra Lift works every time. I have the Garmin 430N. That's why we bought this particular vehicle off the lot. Didn't like the 730. Just our preference having no prior experience with nav systems. Love it every time I get in it.

Now, my wifes 2003 Mercedes E500 that just cost me $3000 to replace the airmatic system on the front right after having the left side replaced a few years ago under warranty ... couldn't give me another MB
My assumption is that you Summit has the quadra-lift suspension? Curious what made you buy an air-powered suspension after just dealing with the notorious airmatic problem in the MB line-up? Only reason I ask is that I just traded in my non airmatic E-Class for my Limited, and vowed to never get another air suspension, as my 2006 Jaguar XJR that I had prior had two corners go bad with the airbags and compressors, which would have been near $7k in bills to fix if it weren't for the Jag CPO coverage picking up the tab.
MINNJeepRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
1JGC47

I have a 2012 Overland and would have no hesitation to purchase it again. I came from a Lexus and the JGC has as much if not more luxury, much more utility, and in my opinion much better appearance. So far, the build quality seems comparable to the Lexus.
1JGC47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
SW03ES

I came from a long history of owning Toyotas (I'm on my 4th Lexus), and the WK2 is a great vehicle. Material quality is very good, the details aren't as flushed out as they are in the Lexus, but one wouldn't really expect them to be.

From a navigation/infotainment perspective the Jeep suffers when compared to other vehicles, but thats really our only quibble with it.

I think you'll be happy with it.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Bought a new 2011 (June build) GC Summit 5.7L, in October, to replace wife's Malibu. She loves it. For the money, it was the most bang for the buck. We looked at GMC Acadia, Terrain, and Ford Edge Sport. Nothing could touch the GC for size, comfort, convenience, and out the door standard equipment.

It does consume more gasoline than the 2007 Malibu SS that it replaced. Had Ford offered the 3.5L Ecoboost in the Explorer, I would've been heavily considering that. Although the Jeep GC is build like a truck, whereas the Explorer is build like a car.
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
2MchFun
2011 WK 

I cross-shopped the Summit with the RR Sport and bought the Summit (obviously-lol). It has the 5.7L Hemi, air suspension, and the 730 head unit. In general I have found in-car nav systems are inferior to what you can get on your smartphone - and you don't have to buy a $150 update.
Aside form a few minor things I dislike, this vehicle rocks! No mechanical issues at all in 7k mi. Would I buy again? Yes!
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The Nav units have the most current Navtec maps (which are about due for an update). Navtec supplies the maps for most GPS brands who then add their GUI. The 730N is not any more out of date than others.

The Garmin nav software is better than the google app while driving, I've used both simultaneously. I like the google maps for the iPad for traffic, however. But if you only need an aid to get point to point, just about any nav works well enough.

Does the google nav have the equivalent of dead reckoning, I forget?
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.