JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Worst bulb change EVER! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/worst-bulb-change-ever-1539201/)

bilbo_28 06-20-2013 06:29 PM

Worst bulb change EVER!

The day I sold my 2004 and bought my 2008 I was so happy as I thought never again do I have to break those clips pulling the whole cluster out to change a headlight bulb. The 2008 was a dream, you could see what you were doing, there was plenty of space to work in, remove the back cover, unclip the pigtail, twist, replace.... done.

Oh then I wanted to upgrade the stock bulbs on my '14 to Sylvania Silverstars (debated for 2 weeks if I should go HIDS in the Limited projectors), little did I know what I was in for.

To start with the 'access cover' in the wheel well is only that in name, there is still very limited access to the back of the projector, then blind and with a nearly dislocated wrist you have to some how get enough torque to twist off the back of the projector, then again blind, untwist the blub..... and that was the easy part. The replacement is much worse, trying to locate the bulb past a piece of frame (that cuts in to your wrist as you work), through the other cables in the area, in to the back of the projector and in to the bulb housing while trying not to touch the bulb and of course all blind as seeing what you were doing would make it all too easy. Then you have to do the same thing to get the back of the projector on, never really knowing if you have turned either enough to get it to lock in place or if it will fall out next time you go over a bump.

Well congratulations Mr Jeep headlight designer, you have taken an easy task and made it the hardest thing I have done on a jeep in a good few years. I hope I never have to change one on the road in the rain :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

pwrdbym 06-21-2013 07:30 AM

A lot of that going around these days. I wrote up a ***** fest on the Outback forums about the same thing. Switched out a burned out headlight on my 2010 Outback when I had it, and had to remove the front wheel, entire wheel well liner, battery, and even then had to try to torque stuff with just your finger tips. Of course I could have removed the entire headlight to gain access, but the whole front clip has to come off first. What a pain.

NDSU_Bison 06-21-2013 07:43 AM

Sounds like WK2 headlights are as hard to change as the front corner markers on the WK. :(

Carange334 06-21-2013 08:26 AM

This is so terribly disappointing. I have been wanting to change out my head light for some kind of after markets, but seeing so much of these kind of results its just sad. I mean come on its 2013 and jeep cant figure out a way to make it so you dont need to tear apart your vehicle to change a light blub? It just doesnt make sense! Let me buy a 40K GC but have to bring it to the dealer to change a light bulb so I dont have to spend an hour in my drive way!! My father inlaw has a Saturn Ion. Biggest piece of garbage I have ever worked on, but there was one screw and one lever holding the WHOLE head lamp to the car. Took me, no joke, under a minute to change the burn out light and put the head lamp back in. Come on Jeep, wise up!

Kev M 06-21-2013 10:29 AM

Nope, first generation New Beetle has it beat for worst.

I used to hear countless stories of people damaging (beyond repair) the multi-hundred dollar headlight housing, OR WORSE, the FENDER...

loveracing1988 06-21-2013 05:07 PM

There is a trick to doing it, not that it helps you very much now but for anyone else...
Remove the lower part of the air intake, it requires a good amount of force, (Do NOT lose the rubber grommets that hold the airbox in.
For the drivers side you can pull the Aluminum ECM or whatever that is from the power distribution box by moving the tab at the top, you can just move it to the side.
Move those 2 things and the bulbs are a lot easier to replace. I had to remove the stock bulbs 3 times to get my wife's HID's figured out...

txwest 06-24-2013 11:02 AM

My mom has a Suzuki 4-door sedan. Had to take it to the dealer to get a headlight replaced. There is no other way to have it done. Required removing the front clip, side fender and entire air box assembly for the driver side low beam. At least the labor was included in here extended warranty.

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

ChrisOC 06-26-2013 09:11 PM

Sounds like my parents GE Avantium Microwave Oven. They had the light burn out and had to call a GE repair guy to change it. The WHOLE unit had to come out of the wall to get to the bulb. What a PITA and $100 or so dollars.

2013hemijp 07-01-2013 09:39 PM

I feel your pain Bilbo. I had an 05 GC and it was like I was in heaven changing the bulbs! Even the fog lights were easy. But with my 13, fughetaboutit!!! I took it to the dealer as my chubby fingers and hands had no chance!

Megs_Revenge 07-04-2013 03:36 PM

Soooo this basically makes me rethink ever getting a newer GC when this one finally goes to Jeep Heaven... (unless I have a prodigy child who takes after his father's love of Jeeps and my skinny arms)

txwest 07-04-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge (Post 15641259)
Soooo this basically makes me rethink ever getting a newer GC when this one finally goes to Jeep Heaven... (unless I have a prodigy child who takes after his father's love of Jeeps and my skinny arms)

If changing a light makes you not a jeep fan anymore. You may want to rethink being a jeep fan. Those of us that have had 3 or 4 know there is always one part that will be ridiculous to try and change. But we loose skin on fingers and knuckles and do it anyway. All a part of owning a Jeep.

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Jackal01 07-04-2013 06:05 PM

Not buying a vehicle because changing the headlamps are difficult is just ridiculous.

I have swapped mine out and it was rather simple (prior to any threads about the subject). I expected it to be somewhat difficult since all my past vehicles were more or less difficult. I guess I just expect things to be worse than they really are so when it isn't difficult it makes it that much better.

LouC 07-06-2013 07:40 PM

My 07 is very easy, my 98 was easy on the driver side but on the pass side you had to slide the battery back a bit to get at it. All the modern cars are hard to work on.

The time now is 01:16 AM.