WK2 Winch Options??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Winch Options???

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Lakeboy106
2011 WK 

WK2 Winch Options???

Hello All,

Just bought a 2011 WK2 Overland 4X4 with 5.7L HEMI. I have a Warn M8000 winch and was wondering what options for mounting there are.

Warn, at present, has NO front under-bumper mounts for this winch other than universal. I took off the lower front fascia which exposed a vertical surface of the lower frame, near where the tow hooks would be mounted. Is this spot suitable to mount/weld the winch/universal tray? It would probably involve some plastic trimming of the fascia to mount the roller fairlead to the tray.

OR, should I go the way of mounting the winch to the hitch receiver in the rear and run the quick-disconnect cable to the battery under the passenger seat?

Which opens up a new can of worms.... When you're stuck, winch out from forward or behind?

Lakeboy106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm sure there are ways to make it work if you wanted to mount it up front, though I'm not technical enough to speak to how to make that work. The only way I could picture it would be with customized brackets and having the guts enough to chop up the front bumper or waiting for ARB or another company to release a front bumper for the WK.

I suppose you could do a rear hitch mounted set up which of course does present it's own inherent challenges both for wiring or even recovery.

It is possible to perform a self recovery from the front even if your winch is in the rear. Of course it would require having a couple of tree savers and snatch blocks on hand to string the winch line up to the front of the vehicle. Not ideal, but it could get the job done.

The biggest question I'd raise is if the M8000 is enough winch for your WK. When I had my 4dr Rubicon I had a chance to pick one of those up. I asked my buddy who is the Trail Master for my club if he thought that would do for me he told to me to pass as he didn't think it was enough winch for my rig. He made the recommendation to consider a winch rated for twice the weight of my vehicle, which for me at the time meant a 9500/10000lb winch. Mind you my 4dr Rubicon weighed in probably about 500lbs less than your Overland which weighs in about 5300lbs.

Just so there is not a misunderstanding either, I'm not saying the M8000 won't work for you. I'm just saying it'll have to work much harder under load than a higher weight rated winch.

Keep us posted on what you plan on doing.
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
eternollie
2011 WK 

i have a 10000lb mounted to a receiver bracket. Instead permanent front mount i am gonna fab a brace on the front beam with a receiver cut thru probably behind the front licence plate. this way i can go front or rear.
eternollie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
JMP8562

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternollie View Post
i have a 10000lb mounted to a receiver bracket. Instead permanent front mount i am gonna fab a brace on the front beam with a receiver cut thru probably behind the front licence plate. this way i can go front or rear.
have you had any luck mounting it ?
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
JMP8562

89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

Had a m8000 on a F250. Got it out of some nasty mud holes and that truck weighed alot. If you need more Power use a tree saver and a pulley.
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo
Had a m8000 on a F250. Got it out of some nasty mud holes and that truck weighed alot. If you need more Power use a tree saver and a pulley.
Good luck pulling it uphill.
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01

It is possible to perform a self recovery from the front even if your winch is in the rear. Of course it would require having a couple of tree savers and snatch blocks on hand to string the winch line up to the front of the vehicle.
The only way that would be possible is to block off of the jeep itself which itself is not possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.