WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #436
hemispin
2014 WK 

Do you understand that the DIAMETER of the TIRE on the 18 inch wheels and the 20 inch wheels is roughly the same???

Take a look in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...sizes-1158755/

hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #437
danbrew
2014 WK 

Well, sure. Now I know that.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #438
jacko15
2014 WK 

Same diameter tire whether it's a 20" or 18" wheel. Nothing needs reprogrammed. I ordered the ORA II package mainly to get the 18's on my Overland that comes stock with 20's. I think it's a good choice to go with the 18's. Others will probably disagree, but to each his own.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #439
OutbackGC

Greetings, first post here but over the last week I have read all the wheel and tyre threads both here and on other forums and my head is spinning so I do apologise if I ask something that has already been covered.

Basically I took my '14 Overland off the track last weekend on the stock 20" Kumhos, scuffed up my rims and shredded a side wall. Always intended to upgrade to 18" rims and AT's but this has fast tracked things a bit.

Firstly I am in Australia which makes my choices a bit limited.

I think I am going to go for these rims:
http://www.4x4wheelco.com.au/index.php/atx-series/ledge

So it now comes down to tyre choice.

My local tyre shop has recommended the Wrangler AT Adventure 265/60R18s (this is the only profile *for this tyre* available for 18's in Australia)

The look like they will do the job well but they dont look as aggressive as I would like (this upgrade is going to cost me over $3k and thats just for the set of 4 so if I can achieve an aesthetic improvement as well as a practical one it would be nice).

From what I have read 265/65R18 will fit with the QL no dramas but the spinning has confused me, are there other sizes that will fit?

Those with the 265/65R18, do they fit in your spare wheel spot, if they dont is it purely a height issue, ie could we get a 245 with the same OD that would fit?

Again apologies if I am covering old ground but any help will be appreciated.

*oh, and with the spare wheel spot, has anyone considered carrying around a deflated spare with a compressor, if so what sizes fit?*
OutbackGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #440
MuSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Well, sure. Now I know that.

They are so close in outside diameter that there is no need to recalibrate. They are different different though.... 20" wheels make 690 revolutions per mile. The 18" wheels do 691 turns per mile
MuSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #441
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSh View Post
They are so close in outside diameter that there is no need to recalibrate. They are different different though.... 20" wheels make 690 revolutions per mile. The 18" wheels do 691 turns per mile
My GC came with 20's, and I just put 18's (snow tires) on it last weekend. With the 20's, at 65 MPH the speed reading on the NAV matched the speedometer reading. With the 18's, it still matches at 65 MPH. There is a slight difference in diameter, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #442
Aquaforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
My GC came with 20's, and I just put 18's (snow tires) on it last weekend. With the 20's, at 65 MPH the speed reading on the NAV matched the speedometer reading. With the 18's, it still matches at 65 MPH. There is a slight difference in diameter, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.
What wheels did you go with?
Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #443
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaforest View Post
What wheels did you go with?
Nothing special. I bought 4 used aftermarket wheels off Ebay for $400 total from a tire and wheel shop about 40 minutes from my house. Saved shipping costs by picking them up. The bolt patter (5 x 127mm), width (8.5") and center bore (71.5mm) were all spot on, but the offset was 36 mm versus the stock 56.4 mm. They stick out 0.8" more than stock, which is no problem. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131085086914...#ht_543wt_1106
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #444
Michaelinmech

Help with tires for a 2014 Overland

Hello -
It's my first day here and my first post.
I'll cut to the chase with the help/advice I am seeking. Thanks in advance.

Basic Facts - my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland has original equipment wheels in 20"x8" size. Original equipment tires are Goodyear Fortera 265-50/20.

Those oe tires have size specs of 10.9" section width, 8.3" tread width and 30.5" diameter.

I am purchasing some 20x9 wheels for summertime use. In coupling those with some highway tires, I would like to upsize to a 275-50x20 size. I would like to put a wider tread width on the road. My vehicle is pure stock.

One choice, a Pirelli, has specs of 11.4" section width, 10.7" tread width and 31.1" diameter.

Another choice, a Bridgestone, has specs of 11" section width, 9.6" tread width and 32" diameter.

Can anyone with experience or expertise please advise me if I can successfully upsize to either of the 2 tires listed above without any rubbing, interference or adversely effecting vehicle electronics due to diameter change?

Thanks again kindly - Michael

Last edited by Jackal01; 02-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Merged.
Michaelinmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #445
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinmech View Post
Hello -
It's my first day here and my first post.
I'll cut to the chase with the help/advice I am seeking. Thanks in advance.

Basic Facts - my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland has original equipment wheels in 20"x8" size. Original equipment tires are Goodyear Fortera 265-50/20.

Those oe tires have size specs of 10.9" section width, 8.3" tread width and 30.5" diameter.

I am purchasing some 20x9 wheels for summertime use. In coupling those with some highway tires, I would like to upsize to a 275-50x20 size. I would like to put a wider tread width on the road. My vehicle is pure stock.

One choice, a Pirelli, has specs of 11.4" section width, 10.7" tread width and 31.1" diameter.

Another choice, a Bridgestone, has specs of 11" section width, 9.6" tread width and 32" diameter.

Can anyone with experience or expertise please advise me if I can successfully upsize to either of the 2 tires listed above without any rubbing, interference or adversely effecting vehicle electronics due to diameter change?

Thanks again kindly - Michael
We have dedicated threads to wheels and tires for a reason.

We also have rules and guidelines for a reason. You need to read that thread before you post. Searching is a valuable tool here that will benefit you.

Good luck and welcome.

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio

Last edited by Jackal01; 02-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Merged.
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #446
MichiganState88
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Nothing special. I bought 4 used aftermarket wheels off Ebay for $400 total from a tire and wheel shop about 40 minutes from my house. Saved shipping costs by picking them up. The bolt patter (5 x 127mm), width (8.5") and center bore (71.5mm) were all spot on, but the offset was 36 mm versus the stock 56.4 mm. They stick out 0.8" more than stock, which is no problem. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131085086914...#ht_543wt_1106
Are you happy with the 36mm offset? Earlier in this tread I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what kind of offset I wanted, figuring that I wanted the tire to be close to flushing out with the top of the fender and came up with a +/- 30mm offset. I am about to order some MBTKOs black with a 25mm (only offset offered) and think that this will be close enough. Are you noticing that you are throwing too much mud/stones into your paint?
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #447
MichiganState88
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbunton View Post
I have 255/70/r17 on mine. They are on JK 17s. I had to grind on the calipers a little bit to make the front two fit. I think I have the HD claipers on mine, but with a little bit of Plastic dip they look great. What do you all think?
How's this plasti-dip holding up? It looks great here, I am planning to do similar when the weather breaks to mine.
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #448
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganState88 View Post
Are you happy with the 36mm offset? Earlier in this tread I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what kind of offset I wanted, figuring that I wanted the tire to be close to flushing out with the top of the fender and came up with a +/- 30mm offset. I am about to order some MBTKOs black with a 25mm (only offset offered) and think that this will be close enough. Are you noticing that you are throwing too much mud/stones into your paint?
So far I am okay with the 36 mm offset. One thing that helps is I installed mud flaps a couple of weeks ago. All other things being equal a 25 mm offset will only stick out 0.4" more each side versus a 36 mm offset, and only 1.2" more each side versus the stock 56 mm offset.

Here is a very helpful site for comparing various options of wheel/tire combinations that I used quite a bit in making my decisions:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #449
STL-9
2014 WK 

Hi... New to the forum, and a bit out of my element, so please be don't be frustrated by my ignorance... I honestly don't even know if I'm posting correctly (new to forums as well). Got a 2014 Laredo that I'm wanting to upgrade a bit. Looking to get 20 Inch AR890 wheels (black), and some sort of 275/55/20 All-season tire. I'm not looking to go off road (bad experiences in my youth), I'm just wanting to "upgrade" the look. I currently have the stock 17 inch wheels on the vehicle. I'd basically like to go as large in tire size as I can before I have to lift the vehicle and before I would start to experience "rub". I don't mind going a bit wider, but nothing drastic. If the tires stick out a little (less than an inch), I'm good with it. Thanks in advance for the help.
STL-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #450
MichiganState88
2011 WK 

All the information that you need is in this thread, go to the beginning and start reading. I ended up with the MBTKO wheels in black with 25mm offset and 265/65R18 BFG AT KO. Great all season tire that looks moderately as aggressive as a WK2 does, not a lot of road noise compared to others, good mileage life, good in the snow and mud even if you don't plan to offroad much. Very happy with the 25mm offset, basically flushes out with top of fender. If you get 0 offset you may stick out about an inch. A lot of guys here also like the Nitro Terra Grapplers.

The 265/65R18 gives 31.5 OD, others have fit 32s under with no rubbing reported. Don't forget that larger OD will lower acceleration (can put shifting into odd power bands especially with V6) and raise top end which will leave your speedo off a few mph. IMO going real large also makes the fender clearance look smaller. The last couple points AND offset is the reason I paid more for the 265/65 instead of the 32s. VERY IMPORTANT - with offsets it puts the wheel further from the hub and creates a longer reach when turning fully. This can make a 32 with standard offset fit while a 0 offset MAY rub somewhere. Also if you go with a larger than suggested tire and it sits outside of your fender the risk is that under full articulation if your tire exceeds your articulation limits you can crush your fender.

In my 05wk I experienced about all of this, 0 offset and 31s I had a little rubbing with fresh rubber a couple of times offroading I got my rear tire to touch my fender at full articulation, no damage because it barely touched but I didn't want to repeat it with the new ride.

I got my set-up of 4 delivered to my door from discount tire direct mounted, balanced, gorilla spline lug kit (black), TPMS ($55/tire) and discounted tire warranty for $2k even. Very happy and good price assuming you can handle a jack and install yourself. I will get pictures up eventually but don't have good ones yet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.