WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #421
Aquaforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaforest View Post
Ugh just got home after it took 7 hours to go 100 miles in the L.I Snow Storm. I was not a happy camper in the stock 20 tires on my new GC Limited. I did not feel confident. Anyway after reading this entire thread I'm still not 100% sure of something. If I go to the Nitto Terras in the 275/55 size, I'm not 100 sure if the tires will rub with moderate off road activity. I know they don't rub in normal on road situations as many of claimed, but will they're be issues if I go off road and I get some bounce on trails/beach? Also if another tire in that size gives slightly more breathing room that would be great do know.
Anyone else? Flame repellent applied full strength!

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #422
MichiganState88
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaforest View Post
Anyone else? Flame repellent applied full strength!
I'll be getting 275/60R18 KOs pretty soon, they are great offroad, snow and summer. They don't look super aggressive but aggressive enough for a GC in my opinion. They are only slightly above stock so your numbers should be safe - depending on your offset, if its stock you should be OK. There is a post further back that I also reference that someone has a larger OD on the KOs and reported no rubbing. Don't be afraid to look back, while a lot of people around here know and share a lot it is more important to help yourself.

**the reason I am not going up to the 275/60R18 is because my last Jeep was a V6 and the larger tires put my Jeep in between power bands a lot in the mountains that I live in. I assume Hemis will make that less of a problem but IMO the larger tires also made my lift appear smaller even though the ground clearance slightly increased. In your case with the 20s I would agree that going larger would give you more tire to soften the road or offroad. Either way it is physics that says larger tires will slightly reduce acceleration but increase top end. (I already know that my governor cuts off at 110mph and its not a good idea to hit often where I live with all the cops around)**
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #423
MichiganState88
2011 WK 

Post #327 says he has 275/65R18 which = 32" OD. You are looking at 275/55R20 which is 31.9". His offsets look stock even though it is an upgraded wheel. If you are sticking with factory you should be safe enough even if the Nitros appear to have tread knobs that stick out wider than the KOs. 275=width in MM of tread. 55=% sidewall height compared to tread. R20=rim in inches. Math to OD = 275*.55=151.25mm/25.4mm/" = 5.95" sidewall height * 2 sidewalls = 11.91" + 20" rim = 31.9. I figured all of that out within the last week looking at this and other threads.

**I do hear though that all manufacturers are slightly different**
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #424
Aquaforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganState88 View Post
Post #327 says he has 275/65R18 which = 32" OD. You are looking at 275/55R20 which is 31.9". His offsets look stock even though it is an upgraded wheel. If you are sticking with factory you should be safe enough even if the Nitros appear to have tread knobs that stick out wider than the KOs. 275=width in MM of tread. 55=% sidewall height compared to tread. R20=rim in inches. Math to OD = 275*.55=151.25mm/25.4mm/" = 5.95" sidewall height * 2 sidewalls = 11.91" + 20" rim = 31.9. I figured all of that out within the last week looking at this and other threads.

**I do hear though that all manufacturers are slightly different**
Thanks for the info! Makes sense.

Yeah I saw post #327. He states it doesn't rub on any QL setting which is great, but he has QL, so when he's off road he can raise the setting to compensate for any bouncing, etc. My jeep doesn't have QL so I guess I'm trying to make sure when off road if there is bouncing there won't be any problems with the 275/55/20.
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #425
OJwerks

so i tried to quickly glimpse over the posts but did not seem to find my answer... can anyone quickly tell me what is THE biggest tire someone has managed to get under a WK2 ??
OJwerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #426
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJwerks View Post
so i tried to quickly glimpse over the posts but did not seem to find my answer... can anyone quickly tell me what is THE biggest tire someone has managed to get under a WK2 ??
You should have spent more time then. Nobody said it would be a quick venture. Depends if you have QL or not.

At least you're in the right thread.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #427
OJwerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
You should have spent more time then. Nobody said it would be a quick venture. Depends if you have QL or not.

At least you're in the right thread.
I asked because I see most people have 32" O.D tires or something that is very close... im just wondering if their is anyone that has managed to put on something significantly bigger... closer to a 34" O.D or something.

and just because I barely have any posts does not mean im a noob.. so no need for the smart-*** reply.
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #428
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

33s will not fit without heavy modifications. 32s will possibly fit.

To be continued...

Unread 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #429
OJwerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
33s will not fit without heavy modifications. 32s will possibly fit.

To be continued...
32s Fit!... we have those on my brothers 14'.. i posted a picture of it on the picture thread!
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #430
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Right. I know 32s fit on certain models and it depends on the width, too.

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #431
MuSh

Width is the issue. 33s can fit. I'm sure you can fit larger but you'll have to be okay with tires extending way beyond your fenders. I just ordered 275/60-20. Hopefully they will be narrow enough to fit without spacers. 305/55-20 was my original choice but they are considerably wider. I may still try them if the 275s leave a lot of room
MuSh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #432
Aquaforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSh View Post
Width is the issue. 33s can fit. I'm sure you can fit larger but you'll have to be okay with tires extending way beyond your fenders. I just ordered 275/60-20. Hopefully they will be narrow enough to fit without spacers. 305/55-20 was my original choice but they are considerably wider. I may still try them if the 275s leave a lot of room
Edit:

What kind of truck do you have? I didn't think 275/60 would fit without modification?
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #433
MuSh

Fat fingered that 275/60-20. It's a 33" tire and just slightly wider than stock, so im hoping I can still fit a spare. No biggie if I cant. I went with the rocky mountain ats. It was between that and the coopers. No Nittos in this size. If the tires look too narrow in person, then ill figure something else out.

I have an RRO lift as well. I intentionally purchased a Limited so I could avoid QL so my goal is to fit something a QL cant
MuSh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #434
OJwerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSh View Post
Fat fingered that 275/60-20. It's a 33" tire and just slightly wider than stock, so im hoping I can still fit a spare. No biggie if I cant. I went with the rocky mountain ats. It was between that and the coopers. No Nittos in this size. If the tires look too narrow in person, then ill figure something else out.

I have an RRO lift as well. I intentionally purchased a Limited so I could avoid QL so my goal is to fit something a QL cant
i wish they made some real off road tires in this size... such as KM2's or Nitto Trail's...
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #435
danbrew
2014 WK 

Swapping 20" wheels for 18"?

Am in the process of purchasing a 2014 GC Limited. Had one picked out on the dealers lot with everything I wanted. Went in to do all the paperwork and it had been sold the day before. Dealer found another one at another dealer and we did the deal and they were going to get the truck from somebody else. Then that one gets sold. The sales rep calls around and tries to find another one with the color & options I had selected. Being the geek that I am, I found a few on jeep.com by looking at the window stickers and sent her the vins. She couldn't get any of the other dealers to give them up - either pending orders, sold, etc. Apparently it's more difficult to get a dealer to do a swap, I guess.

Anyway she just calls me and tells me that she looked up and saw a new one in the lot that had just come in. It has everything I want but also included the 20" wheels - which I don't want as they are a $1295 option. She tells me that her boss has agreed to swap the wheels with another one on the lot and I get what I want. Happy ending, right? Sounds like it.

My question to the dealer was whether anything needed to be programmed on the computer/odometer/etc. to tell it that is now has 18" wheels instead of the 20" that it left the factory with. Math tells me that there will be a difference between the diameter of the tires, but I stopped listening in math classes at about the 10th grade level... lol. Do I need to be concerned about the swap? Any potential downside? While I guess I could groove to the larger tires, it's mostly going to be a mom wagon and I just don't see the value of the larger tires.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.