WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My understanding is that 275/60/R18 is the largest that will fit.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #17
JayB

I have the ORAII package w/ the 18" painted wheels (not a big fan). Anyone considering sizing down to 17" and trying a 275 70 17 tire? That's about 3mm taller than the 275 65 18.
If someone was going to run a 275 tire, how much do you think an aftermarket wheel that poked out a bit more fit? Say about an extra 1" pushed out.... more likely to rub the fender when suspension is compressed and wheels are turned to lock? Do you think it would be a safe bet to just stay with the 265?

Sounds like stock wheels on the Laredo E Base model are 17x8 with 245 70 17.
Sadly I like the stock 17" wheel more than the 18" painted wheel w/ the ORAII package. And the Michelin Latitudes that come on those wheels... .ugh.... Off-Road? Really Jeep?
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
jared57

Well, since no one knows... I will be the guinea pig.

I have WK2 Overland with Quadra Lift and the HD brakes. From what I can tell, with the +56 offset our wheels have, there are no real off road wheels for it that are exact fit with proper offset and bolt pattern. There are some that are close (+38) but will push the wheel out past the fender. This is not good if you are trying to get any decent amount of rubber under that fender for off roading.

So, I have the option of getting the stock 18x8" aluminum WK2 wheels for about $260 each (or maybe cheaper if source take offs). Or, I can order a set of the 18"x8" steel wheels that are used for the spare (about $150 each). I think I can order them from Mopar.com. I also have my local dealer finding if they too can get them. If so, I can get 18x8" steel wheels for my off road adventures and swap my 20s back on for street. The spare steel wheel looks solid, and it can always be bent back with a hammer in the event of a bad ding... something not possible with aluminum wheels. My local wheel shop took a look and said the same thing.

Next, which tires? In the 18" size, we are limited.

That said, there are some solid choices. I am going to try the Cooper Discovery STT's, which come in a size I hope will fit with QL at 'aero' ride height. Cooper makes a LT275/65R18 size. It has a 32.32" diameter and 8.4" tread width. This must be just at the max limit (I hope not over).

My tire shop is ordering one tire for me and is going put it on my spare tire steel wheel. We will mount it up, lower to sport/aero mode and check the clearances. I am also going to see if it will fit in the spare tire well. I will report back with pics and lesson learned.
jared57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
JayB

Guess I better check back in here with more info....

so I ended up buying a set of the JK Wrangler Sahara 18" stock wheels with 255/70/18 Bridgestone Dueler tires.
Tires are 32" dia. (815mm). The wheels are offset 46mm, 7.5" width instead of stock 18" WK2 at 56mm and 8" width. I'm giving up about 0.4" of tire width, but in my opinion the 32" tire size looks great on the WK2. I have no issues with clearance (have QL. checked on all settings). I don't think I'd have issues with a 275/65/18 either (don't quote me on that though....)
jk-sahara-18-wheels-wk2.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

JayB, in the pic above, are you at at normal or raised ride height?

Also, have you noticed much in the way of sluggish response in acceleration or braking? Just wondering how Jeep handles the increased diameter and additional 5-7lbs per tire. Since seeing your post in another thread I've been looking into this as a possibility.

Option B is just getting tires with maybe a set if aftermarket wheels wheels for the JK.
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
JayB, in the pic above, are you at at normal or raised ride height?

Also, have you noticed much in the way of sluggish response in acceleration or braking? Just wondering how Jeep handles the increased diameter and additional 5-7lbs per tire. Since seeing your post in another thread I've been looking into this as a possibility.

Option B is just getting tires with maybe a set if aftermarket wheels wheels for the JK.
I think that pic was at Off Road I. I can't quit remember though.

I haven't noticed any changes in accel or braking. I only had the stock wheels and tires on for 2k miles though.
From what I can tell there is not much of an appreciable loss in fuel economy either.

As another aside, as I was at the dealer doing the ESC and ECM TSBs (wow who loves acronyms!?!?!) I asked if the dealer could reprogram the car for the correct tire diameter.... they said they couldn't do it. Not sure if that was because at the time I didn't have the TPM sensors in the wheels, or if their computer programmer couldn't actually adjust the truck's computer for different tire size? I haven't had the time or motivation to ask what the real problem was. I could probably hold out until the Superchips tuner comes out and not have to deal with the dealer.....

Wow, sorry for the ramble....
here's a pic where I'm pretty sure it's at normal ride height.
jk-sahara-18-wheels-nrh.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
kfc01

So will 275/65/18 MT work? I am looking at getting another set for offroad and change it out for my 20". I have a QL Limited. I thought I was only limited to 265/65/18 BFG's but since you have got bigger it opens up a few options.

Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Tires 275/65/18 123Q Sbl
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT275/65R18
Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn - 275/65 R18
MT-754 Buckshot Mudder - 275/65 R18
kfc01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
kfc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Word around the street is Superchips should have something out within a couple months or so.

I would caution you on actual tire choice for 275/65/18. I am not running that tire width. I have heard others on forums running 275/65/18, but one says one tire will work while another will rub slightly. Search more or try it out. I can't remember exactly which thread or forum or who it was running 275/65/18
If you go to the beginning if this thread people running 275/65/18s bfgs and they have responded with pictures, previously only the firestones were confirmed not to rub
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2011 View Post
What wheels are you running?
They're the factory 18" stockers off a JK Wrangler Sahara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc01 View Post
If you go to the beginning if this thread people running 275/65/18s bfgs and they have responded with pictures, previously only the firestones were confirmed not to rub
The tire size thing can be misleading from manufacturer to manufacturer. I heard about it lot with the guys running 35's, 37's or 40's that not all tires are created equal. Even though they should be the same size based on the standardized numbers, there were some tires run true to spec, others run small and even fewer were larger. Of course there are sometimes small variables that come into play, but on the whole you'll see variances from one manufacturer to another.
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
ferntree

2014 WK 

Just to confuse things further, does anyone know if the Cooper Zeon LTZ LT285/60R18 would fit using the stock 18" wheels? The height is only 31.48in but I'm not sure if the 285 section would rub anywhere.

Otherwise I think I will give either the new Hankook Dynapro's or Cooper AT3's a run - the reviews have been excellent and apparently they are great in the snow as well.

Cheers
Greg

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
NewJKon37's

I just had to try the 285's myself and yes i concur that they do not fit. I ended up going with the 275/65 18's. I got some very good looking Diamo Wheels. I will post up picks tonight.
NewJKon37's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
ferntree

2014 WK 

Were they the 285/60R18 or the 285/65R18 that did not fit?

Unread 04-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #28
NewJKon37's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Were they the 285/60R18 or the 285/65R18 that did not fit?
I tired the LT285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. But they did not fit. They would hit in park mode pretty bad when turning. When I would ever use park mode I really don't know. But i didn't want to deal with them rubbing.

I have driven for a day with the LT275/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and have had no rubbing at all. According to the Nitto Website they are about .47" smaller than the 285's that I couldn't get to fit.

I mounted them on some black chrome Diamo 39 Black Chrome Wheels. Off of the car I liked them. But once mounted I was not super happy with them against the black paint. I wish I had bought the Mineral Gray Metallic Jeep. They wouldn't clash so much. But I think I might just powder coat them black to match the Jeep. I do like the offset and look other than the color.

I have had the Nitto Terra Grappler on every truck I have had for the last 5 years and have loved the look of them. However in this size the tire seems to bulge a bit too much. I like the more squared shoulder. But I have always had much bigger wheels than 18's. It might just take some getting used to. Everyone told me to get 20's but I couldn't stand the thought of putting 20's on a Jeep that I would be running through large boulders and driving in Moab.

I think it is better looking than stock. But just not quite there yet. I have removed as much of the chrome as I can. Now I just need to find a way to remove the window chrome, side view mirror chrome, and get the grill painted black to match. But for now I really just to enjoy driving this fun Summit.

Excuse the terrible picture. It has been snowing since I got the car earlier in the week. I will take another picture when the sun finally come out.
photo.jpg  
NewJKon37's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #29
kfc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJKon37's View Post
I tired the LT285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. But they did not fit. They would hit in park mode pretty bad when turning. When I would ever use park mode I really don't know. But i didn't want to deal with them rubbing.

Excuse the terrible picture. It has been snowing since I got the car earlier in the week. I will take another picture when the sun finally come out.
What is the offset of your rim? Does the tire stick side the guard at all?
Unread 04-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #30
ferntree

2014 WK 

OK then, so maybe the 285/60R18 might fit after all.
Your GC looks great, but is that a nicely tricked up Challenger next to it?

Cheers
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.