WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Tire and Wheel Sizes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #196
OverlandSummitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Just to confirm...i have a 2013 overland with oem 20" wheels.

Will a 275/55R20 fit without rubbing anything at all the QL heights?

What about a 275/60R20?
275/55/20 should work. That is a 31.9" tire. I have a 32.1" tire on my QL Hemi. Please see post #185 for details on this size.

I really doubt 275/60/20 will fit as that is a 33" tire.

OverlandSummitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #197
illflo
2012 WK 

Help!

I've been through the search function and both wheel and tire threads and have found numerous mentions of speedo inaccuracy after moving to bigger tires. I can't seem to find anybody who has a solid answer to whether or not anybody can recalibrate speedos to accommodate larger tires without using a tuner. Am I missing something obvious or is the only way to recalibrate the speedo to go out and buy a tuner?
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #198
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post
Help!

I've been through the search function and both wheel and tire threads and have found numerous mentions of speedo inaccuracy after moving to bigger tires. I can't seem to find anybody who has a solid answer to whether or not anybody can recalibrate speedos to accommodate larger tires without using a tuner. Am I missing something obvious or is the only way to recalibrate the speedo to go out and buy a tuner?
Dealer can reprogram the computer. I did last year although I have no way to really tell if they did.

Sent from my underground lair.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #199
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Dealer can reprogram the computer. I did last year although I have no way to really tell if they did.

Jackal,

Thanks! Wasn't sure if I had missed something. The best way to double check would be to use a dash-mounted GPS. Most will display your speed using the time it takes you to travel a certain distance based on your GPS coordinates, so it's not biased by wheel size. Set your cruise to 60, give the GPS a minute to catch up, and see if it reflects that you're traveling 60 mph. You want to stay at speed as long as possible to insure the GPS gets a good signal and read (They normally update every second or so). It's a quick and easy way to make sure your speedo is accurate. If you don't own a GPS see if you can borrow somebody's. 70 or 80 would be a better speed to use (because speedo inaccuracies will be exaggerated at higher speeds) but some folks don't have roads on which they can drive that fast.
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #200
kkreit01

If they are 17", no. I've read only 18"+ will fit. Those look like 17s?
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #201
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post
Jackal,

Thanks! Wasn't sure if I had missed something. The best way to double check would be to use a dash-mounted GPS. Most will display your speed using the time it takes you to travel a certain distance based on your GPS coordinates, so it's not biased by wheel size. Set your cruise to 60, give the GPS a minute to catch up, and see if it reflects that you're traveling 60 mph. You want to stay at speed as long as possible to insure the GPS gets a good signal and read (They normally update every second or so). It's a quick and easy way to make sure your speedo is accurate. If you don't own a GPS see if you can borrow somebody's. 70 or 80 would be a better speed to use (because speedo inaccuracies will be exaggerated at higher speeds) but some folks don't have roads on which they can drive that fast.
I did that the day I did it. I even downloaded a couple speedo/GPS apps along with my GPS AND even drove by one of the automated speedo signs by LE on the side of the road. All the readings were 1 or 2 off the Jeep speedo.

Unread 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #202
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:

This is the first I've read where any dealer can reprogram for differant sized tires on a GC.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #203
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:

That must have bee a recent change to their software. The tire factor menu item used to not even be presented for the WK2, as they wouldn't need to change it anyway (all the OEMs have the same tire diameter regardless of wheel size). Other chrysler vehicles can be programed by picking a tire factor from a menu, but the only factors presented to the tech are those for OEM sizes. Nothing aftermarket. On my 2006 RAM I just got used to adjusting 5%.

Running oversize tires on the WK2 is not an approved Jeep mod or an offered accessory.
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #204
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Although I do not trust the dealership with much when I asked them to reprogram the computer for my larger tires they said they could and did. Now, post larger tires and before the reprogram my speedo displayed speeds very rapidly ie: traveling 40 mph the EVIC would "flicker" 40-41-39 etc very quickly. After the reprogram the the EVIC/speedo worked as normal. Not sure what was really performed since the invoice only said "customer requested reprogram of computer for larger tires" and charged me $60. I think they did however I cannot know that 100% since I cannot see the computer specs obviously. And this was a year ago I did this.

Unread 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #205
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Although I do not trust the dealership with much when I asked them to reprogram the computer for my larger tires they said they could and did. Now, post larger tires and before the reprogram my speedo displayed speeds very rapidly ie: traveling 40 mph the EVIC would "flicker" 40-41-39 etc very quickly. After the reprogram the the EVIC/speedo worked as normal. Not sure what was really performed since the invoice only said "customer requested reprogram of computer for larger tires" and charged me $60. I think they did however I cannot know that 100% since I cannot see the computer specs obviously. And this was a year ago I did this.
Did you try checking your speed against a GPS?
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #206
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Did you try checking your speed against a GPS?
yes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post15280893

Unread 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #207
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #208
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

Sorry, I missed that.
No problem dude.

Unread 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #209
silve
2013 WK 

Fuel Boost Wheels; which will fit? if any...

Anyone know which, if any of these wheels will fit our wk2's the best? wheel is fuel boost. just have a stock laredo with regular suspension. hope someone can help me out!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Wh...Style_PQ=Boost
silve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #210
silve
2013 WK 

to be more clear, which offset and backspacing combo would fit our wk2's, if any
silve is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.