WK2 Sump Protection Plate - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Sump Protection Plate

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
NYWk266

Jeeps legal department probably wouldn't like it with their logo on it. Why not create your own brand on the plate?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

NYWk266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
gdash722
2013 WK 

fwdjeep: Right now I am using my work's tools and facility to make the plate. They do not mind if I am making it for myself, but if I were using them for other purposes, there might be legal issues and I could be out of a job. Needless to say, I will not be able to sell any currently. If there is enough interest, I have some contacts at a local shop and I am sure I could talk with them to see if there is any interest in producing a small batch of them.

NYWk266: You are absolutely correct about it looking like the Jeep logo, technically mine is just a modified Ariel font to look like the Jeep logo, but it is not worth fighting any legal battle over. If I were ever to go into any sort of production with this, or make any profit off of the plate, I would definitely steer clear of putting anything remotely similar to that on the plate. Thanks for looking out
gdash722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
NYWk266

Looks great though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
NYWk266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
gdash722
2013 WK 

Cut, bent, welded, and primed. Hopefully I will be able to get the paint done tomorrow and have it installed on Wednesday. Here is a picture of the current progress...
primed-plate-small.jpg  
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
ClarkeyWKCRD

Sweet. Great work mate.
ClarkeyWKCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
gdash722
2013 WK 

Got it installed a day earlier than I was expecting. I have attached a picture so y'all could see it. It is 3/16 plate steel that is being held in place using the three M6 bolts that were originally holding the plastic splash pan in the front. I had to use longer M8 button head bolts in the rear since the plate is now on the bottom side of the existing skid. And up in the front I used 2 M10s that went into existing holes in the frame. I will try to get a few more pictures tomorrow if there is interest or if I have the time.
installed-plate.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
gdash722
2013 WK 

One more view from the front with the air dam on.
finished-plate.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
bmackin
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdash722 View Post
Got it installed a day earlier than I was expecting. I have attached a picture so y'all could see it. It is 3/16 plate steel that is being held in place using the three M6 bolts that were originally holding the plastic splash pan in the front. I had to use longer M8 button head bolts in the rear since the plate is now on the bottom side of the existing skid. And up in the front I used 2 M10s that went into existing holes in the frame. I will try to get a few more pictures tomorrow if there is interest or if I have the time.
Looks good gdash! I love seeing people fabricate cool things.

It looks like you still need to add some slots for the twist fasteners to attach the front air dam. Also, I'd be careful with the edges you have bent up on the side, from our experience the sway bars will hit those edges when off-road.

Cheers,
Bill
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #24
bmackin
2012 WK 

Sorry for the delay on our Sump Protection Plate, I've been very busy lately. Researching manufacturers and suppliers. Organising the best possible shipping prices. Building our new website. Getting engineering certificates in place. I know everyone is anxious, but bear with me, I want to make sure every aspect of our products is the very best it can be. On the positive side, we have dozens of new products in the pipeline that will be available very soon.

We now have finalised design and CAD drawings for Chief Products WK2 Sump Protection Plate. There will be 2 versions, one standard and one deluxe. I'll post some 3D drawings and more detailed information soon.

Cheers,
Bill
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
gdash722
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackin View Post
Looks good gdash! I love seeing people fabricate cool things.

It looks like you still need to add some slots for the twist fasteners to attach the front air dam. Also, I'd be careful with the edges you have bent up on the side, from our experience the sway bars will hit those edges when off-road.

Cheers,
Bill

bmackin:

Thanks for the input!

I thought about the twist fasteners, but with the material thickness add, the twist fasteners won't reach all the way through the plate and. I plan on using self tapping sheet metal screws with large washers to hold the air dam in place.

As for the sway bars, and the bend on the plate goes right under the pivot/mounting point of the sway arm. The closest point is 1.75 inches away from the plate, which I believe there is more clearance between my plate than there was with the plastic pan at full jounce and rebound.

Please keep the input coming!
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
gdash722
2013 WK 

Just went and took a picture of the sway bar clearnace
sway-bar-1.jpg   sway-bar-2.jpg  
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
mdsalas
2014 WK 

What's the status??

What is the status? Are you ready to take orders?
mdsalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
somewhereinla

Nice job.
How much does it weight? Also if you do produce it, would it be possible to get it without the punched-out letters?
somewhereinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #29
JMP8562

Great job your boss should let you make 25-50 depending how many are interested in them. between a few forums I an Sure that 50 will sell quickly tell him 50-50 on the profit. Not sure how it would work with my set up. but it looks alot Beefer then RROs Pre-runner skid great job
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

When and where can i buy one
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.