WK2 Safety Pick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Safety Pick

CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
10Xk
2014 WK 

WK2 Safety Pick

IIHS have released the crash ratings for the new 14 WK2. It went from a 2013 top safety pick to marginal in 2014.

Apparently if your doing 40mph and strike something with 25% of the frontal width it's going to hurt. Good news that it won't hurt as bad if you strike something with 40% of the frontal width at 40 mph.

Guess something has changed.

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Didn't they change some of the frontal impact test methods? Seems like many SUV's suffered with the new tests.
2014RedHemiGC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
10Xk
2014 WK 

Safe car.gov has two different ratings for the 2014. A early release and a later release. The ratings that IIHS doesn't jive with the Safecar. Where IIHS rated some hi, safe car rated them lower. Which one is right?
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I don't think the rating is based on the crash test.

I believe it's based on the Uconnect issues.
Kinda simialar to what ford went thru with the Sync(sink...lol).

LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Didn't they change some of the frontal impact test methods? Seems like many SUV's suffered with the new tests.
From the news stories it looks like this new "small" overlap frontal impact is giving most everyone grief. The gist I got was that in 2012 they added this test to account for how accidents are happening now (distracted drivers vs. pure frontal smashes) which is "nicking" other cars, telephone poles etc... I guess the "medium" overlap is thought to be more of a simulation of crossing the centerline and nailing an oncoming car. I guess the car has to score Good in all 4 tests or it doesn't get "recommended". The JGC got Good in all the others but Marginal on the small overlap frontal crash test.

Looks like mfrs are scrambling to beef up the front structure (medium overlap) and the door posts (small overlap).

You want to see bad results look at the Honda Pilot.

2014RedHemiGC still sucks 'cause his livery is radder than mine
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Safe car.gov has two different ratings for the 2014. A early release and a later release. The ratings that IIHS doesn't jive with the Safecar. Where IIHS rated some hi, safe car rated them lower. Which one is right?
No way the ratings could match since they are derived from different tests. Safecar.gov doesn't do overlap frontals but they do rollover tests. IIHS does 2 overlaps and no rollover just a roof strength. Eh, which one's better? Good question!
Unread 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
allen03jeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed that the frontal crash rating was only 4 stars in the earlier release 2014 JGC 4WD (build date prior to July 22, 2013) but it's 5 stars in the later release 2014 (after July 22, 2013). Any idea why?
allen03jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen03jeep View Post
I noticed that the frontal crash rating was only 4 stars in the earlier release 2014 JGC 4WD (build date prior to July 22, 2013) but it's 5 stars in the later release 2014 (after July 22, 2013). Any idea why?
July 23, 2013 and later builds are the so-called 2014.5 (midyear refresh) rigs. That means they got "plus"/full-stop/stop-n-go versions of ACC and FCW. Definitely a "safer" version of both features. It's on wk2jeeps dot com if you want to readup on it.
Unread 07-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
allen03jeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know. I did some reading but couldn't exactly find anything definitive. I also heard that the early release JGC was built in Canada and used different headlights. The later releases were built in USA and used LED. Has anyone else heard this? Either way, I think i'm going to make sure I purchase one that was built after July 23, 2013. Thanks for the response!
allen03jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
14summithemi
Web Wheeler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen03jeep View Post
Good to know. I did some reading but couldn't exactly find anything definitive. I also heard that the early release JGC was built in Canada and used different headlights. The later releases were built in USA and used LED. Has anyone else heard this? Either way, I think i'm going to make sure I purchase one that was built after July 23, 2013. Thanks for the response!
Below r the definitive reference pages. All JGC's have and are produced at Jefferson North Assembly Plant, US. Headlights are a trim level variable.

This covers ACC+/Stop which also reduces chances of a crash and the feature cutover date.

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_cruise_contr...#ADAPTIVE_STOP

This covers the FCW Plus. Plus is the crash mitigation which is auto brake apply that sure is responsible for the crash test rating improvement.

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_Forward_Collision_Warning.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.