WK2 Factory Side Roof Rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > WK2 Factory Side Roof Rails

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
FatAlbert
1999 WJ 

WK2 Factory Side Roof Rails

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee that has no roof rack at all (just the plastic strips that fit in the roof rack gutter on top. I'm looking to get a Yakima roof rack soon, and want to get the style that bolts directly to the factory roof rails (as opposed to the kind that clamp on above the doors).

So, I'll need the side roof rails installed on my Jeep in order to do so. Is this all I need? Will I have any problems bolting these on myself?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-f...79173ai-m.html
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-f...79172ai-m.html

Thanks,

Steve

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
txwest
2012 WK 

How does it not have rails???? What trim level is it? Laredo x?

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

I would do some heavy research to see if yakima's cross bars can even mount to that flush rail you're planning to purchase.

I bought a set of thule cross bars and found out that the only way to mount then was to clip onto the door area and NOT the rails. I think those rails are only meant for mopar cross bars.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
txwest
2012 WK 

Rocky Road Outfitters has several different roof-rack options that fit onto the factory rails, once you have them installed.

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-roof-rack.html

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
FatAlbert
1999 WJ 

Here's a picture of what came with my (nearly) base model 2012 GC. The 'factory rails' I linked in my original post are, in fact, what i need correct? Are they easy to install myself? No drilling or anything, right?

Unread 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwest View Post
How does it not have rails???? What trim level is it? Laredo x?

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum
larado x has roof rails and leather.

base larado without e has the black rails caps. also no passive entry they even have manual seats. a 4x4 comes out right at 30k
but the rails should be bolt on. call some junk yards look for totaled 11-13 wk2s with the chrome rails.

the picture of the rails on that page look like mine. should be right. but seriously 200 bucks for those that is too much.

generic internet picture.

hum the swap may be a hard one
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/misc/2011_wk_luggage_rack.pdf
Quote:
WK2's that have the black molding strips do not have the rivnuts needed to install the silver side rails. The real pain comes from having to drill out the existing threaded inserts to install the rivnuts. This has been a nightmare for the dealers attempting it. I went with the Thule setup through just for jeeps and it worked out really well. Those guys were awesome! They took the time to work through Mopar to come up with the right solution for me. I tried to go the route of replacing the black molding strips with the silver side rails and it just wasn't worth it. This Thule setup is totally the way to go. Thanks again to the just for jeeps guys. They really took the time to work with me and help me find a solution that works.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
WvTaco
2011 WK 

also found this
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post
Well let me being with - moosehead - thank you again here.

Guys - I just got the factory rails mounted , I did it myself with a buddy, didn't drill anything, used factory bolts, used factory holes. Didn't even need silicone.

Let's see here.

Ok so , take off your stockers with an allen wrench

Look at those threaded holes... wow!

Now we realize the underside of the functional rails are locked into place with these two components on each side:

With that taken into consideration, I used the stock bolts and torque'd them down on each side almost all the way, then i slid the plastic oem rail "housings" over those to lock them into place. Here is how high I had the bolts from the roof

Then, I slid the actual stainless rails into position where all the rest of the bolts lined literally right up. I torqued those down - not even too hard. They are ROCK SOLID. I repeat, Rock SOLID. I could mount a box up there with no hesitation. So each side has I believe 6 of these bolts, just remember the outter most 2 are used to position these rails then the ones on the inside go through the actual rail. You need to have them side by side to really see this.

Am I concerned about water leaking into my car? No, not at all. Not even the slightest bit. There is NO WAY water is getting beyond any of these bolts - they are all down most if not all of the way. If you are paranoid, get silicone.

Am I concerned about weight limit? NOPE. Not at all.

Conclusion: get the OEM rails and bolt them up. At least that is what worked for me. The whole thing is rock solid. Anyone near Chicago want to see this in person feel free to reach out to me. Again, Moosehead - thanks for making this happen.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Great find ^

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAlbert View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee that has no roof rack at all (just the plastic strips that fit in the roof rack gutter on top. I'm looking to get a Yakima roof rack soon, and want to get the style that bolts directly to the factory roof rails (as opposed to the kind that clamp on above the doors).

So, I'll need the side roof rails installed on my Jeep in order to do so. Is this all I need? Will I have any problems bolting these on myself?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-f...79173ai-m.html
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-f...79172ai-m.html

Thanks,

Steve

The Yakima towers clamp (no bolts) onto the chrome rails if/when you have them installed on your Jeep. You do need the chrome rails to do that.
I've used Yakima towers & rails in the past & stayed with them. Just go to their website & they'll show the towers/accessories for any given vehicle.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Great find ^
This method has been posted here in summary form too, maybe a year ago. I intended to clean the post up and save it in the write up thread... but I guess I got distracted..
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
djalby

2014 jeep grand cherokee roof rails

just ordered rails. thanks for the advice.
djalby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.