WK2 Cross Bar Install with finished install pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
rlj

post some pics for us with the snowboard rack on.....

2011 WK2 Overland
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited
2003 TJ X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 PM
headshock

Here it is, Im fighting a wind noise problem now but it looks really clean. I think I am going to attach a fairing to see if the noise goes away. There is no real easy way to attach a fairing with a snowboard rack mounted. It was raining all day today so I didn't have much time to look for air gaps. I did fill the gap between the rack and the crossbar with foam as a quick test to see if the noise went away, no luck. The noise comes and goes between 10-20 mph but I need to, and will, find a solution. The Panoramic Sunroof allows the wind noise to be very noticable. I don't have much room to play with positioning of the crossbars due to my snowboard binding placement.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0186.JPG   IMG_0187.JPG   IMG_0188.JPG  

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 - 3.6-Liter V6
post #18 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
headshock

I bought a 52" flairing from Thule and mocked up an install this morning (minus the end caps) using coat hangers :-) Made a trip around the block and all of the whistling rack noise has disappeared. I am going to attempt to make my own mounting hardware to mount the fairing to the crossbars then will take it for a spin and see if the wind noise disappears. Unfortunatly I can not find any out of the box installing hardware and want to hit the road friday to do some snowboarding. If I decide to attach the end caps I will have to manually cut them to clear the siderails. Not sure I want to do this because it may create an air gap that could cause more wind noise. Note: I am not a wind expert, just learning as I go :-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0189.JPG   IMG_0190.JPG  

post #19 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshock View Post
Here it is, Im fighting a wind noise problem now but it looks really clean. I think I am going to attach a fairing to see if the noise goes away. There is no real easy way to attach a fairing with a snowboard rack mounted. It was raining all day today so I didn't have much time to look for air gaps. I did fill the gap between the rack and the crossbar with foam as a quick test to see if the noise went away, no luck. The noise comes and goes between 10-20 mph but I need to, and will, find a solution. The Panoramic Sunroof allows the wind noise to be very noticable. I don't have much room to play with positioning of the crossbars due to my snowboard binding placement.
Looks great, thanks for the pics.....

2011 WK2 Overland
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited
2003 TJ X
post #20 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshock View Post
I bought a 52" flairing from Thule and mocked up an install this morning (minus the end caps) using coat hangers :-) Made a trip around the block and all of the whistling rack noise has disappeared. I am going to attempt to make my own mounting hardware to mount the fairing to the crossbars then will take it for a spin and see if the wind noise disappears. Unfortunatly I can not find any out of the box installing hardware and want to hit the road friday to do some snowboarding. If I decide to attach the end caps I will have to manually cut them to clear the siderails. Not sure I want to do this because it may create an air gap that could cause more wind noise. Note: I am not a wind expert, just learning as I go :-)
Keep us posted on the wind noise diagnosis, I've noticed additional wind noise as well with just the crossbars and would love to come up with a similar fairing solution.

RJ

2011 WK2 Overland
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited
2003 TJ X
post #21 of 24 Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 PM
headshock

What speeds do you hear the wind noise? I was able to get the fairing installed today, I still need to take it appart and repaint the hardware to make it look nice but am very happy with my results. I still hear some wind on the highway (no whistle) when the radio is fully off and Im going 60-80 but am mostly satisfied. I do not think I will attach the end caps based on my initial install. I will post some pictures tomorrow of it installed then then I decide to repaint I will try to get some detailed pictures of the mounting hardware I made. The best news is I can still use my sunroof opened or as a vent and it doensn't look bad from inside the car looking up at it.

post #22 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
rlj

I only hear it on the interstate going over 60 or so. It's not bad and most would not even notice the difference in wind noise after the crossbars were installed.

2011 WK2 Overland
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited
2003 TJ X
post #23 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
headshock

Ok its probably the snowboard rack that was creating the noise then. Here are some new pics of the install. I still need to take it appart, clean up some metal areas and repaint. Notice I decided to Ziptie the 2 Center brackets on. I guess it would be best to make brackets but with my limited time to hit the hill this will work for now. Its solid and based on the install pack that I could have used should be more than enough. Anyway its working for now and Im driving up to the snow tomorrow to play a little.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0199.JPG   IMG_0200.JPG   IMG_0201.JPG   IMG_0202.JPG   IMG_0203.JPG  

post #24 of 24 Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 AM
97GRANDCRASHOKE
2015 WK 

Hi, I posted my own thread yesterday, but just found yours. I recently purchased these style cross bars from Amazon for my 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited, but I think I was duped with a set of trademark counterfeit bars. First thing that tipped me off was I saw that you needed to install the stickers yourself (i.e. need stickers, weight stickers and forward stickers). Second, the part did not come in a mopar box, just a plain one. Can you verify that yours came with the stickers on already? Also fitment seems to be an issue as well, even though I loosened the exterior bolts as far as possible it was still very difficult to slide them in place on the rails. Thank you for any help!

1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd 4.0L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.