Wiper Fluid Fill.....Oops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Wiper Fluid Fill.....Oops

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
FireRunt
2014 WK 

Unhappy Wiper Fluid Fill.....Oops

So I did something stupid....im writing this so noone else on here makes the same mistake I did.

Let me first say this....

In EVERY car I have owned prior to a Jeep, the fill for the windshield wiper fluid has a yellow top

So.....the other day I needed wiper fluid. I opened up the hood, spotted a yellow top and filled the wiper fluid up. It only took half a gallon which I thought was unusual. The next day I notice that my wiper fluid light was on again. I live in the northeast so I thought maybe because of all the frigid temperatures we've been having that the wiper fluid line might have frozen.

The next day, I left it garaged with the heat on to see if it made a difference....It made no difference.

So I opened up the hood to check for anything else I can see. Well, guess what I saw? Not 1 place with a yellow cap, but 2! I had put the wiper fluid into the Coolant overflow tank.

Is it just me, or is this a stupid design that both of these have yellow tops? They do have different icons, but they both look alike in the dark. I siphoned all the coolant and wiper fluid out of the overflow tank and put more coolant in.

It wont cause any issues because wiper fluid is just water and alcohol, but I thought I would just warn any drivers who may have had the same idea that I did.

FireRunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunt View Post
Is it just me, or is this a stupid design that both of these have yellow tops? They do have different icons, but they both look alike in the dark. I siphoned all the coolant and wiper fluid out of the overflow tank and put more coolant in.
It's not a stupid design. You should verified what you are doing and not just add fluids to random locations just because they might look alike or be the same color. Use a flashlight next time. There is one located in the cargo area of your Jeep.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Granted it was dark but one has a big windshield on the cap and the other the radiator. Sucks that there is no hood light but if I can't see what I am working on I don't work. Simple as that. The power steering is also yellow.

I see no problem with the design. User error, in my opinion. Lesson learned!

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
FireRunt
2014 WK 

My point is....they should notmake both yellow. I've never had a car with a yellow coolant fill. And yes....it was user error
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunt View Post
My point is....they should notmake both yellow. I've never had a car with a yellow coolant fill. And yes....it was user error
And a lot of oil fill caps are yellow too, would you put WASHER FLUID IN THERE?

Seriously, it's nice of you to warn others who might be as, uh (I'm trying to be gentle here), careless.

But you're not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy here either.

Respect for admitting your mistake, sure, but not sympathy.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

A better design would be a diff color for each fluid cap. Also a gas cap would be great while they are at it....
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just be glad you didn't do the reverse, ha ha.

Spraying coolant all over your windshield would probably have been hell on the paint!

I'm always super anal when checking fill tubes, cause I'm the type of person who does things hastily and makes that kind of mistake.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
A better design would be a diff color for each fluid cap. Also a gas cap would be great while they are at it....
OH CRAP, is THAT YELLOW TOO... the horror
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
TurboRush

There are a few others that have done this (another forum) - I almost did it myself, popped hood, located large yellow cover with icon that looked like it could be washer fluid, did a double check and whoooooops, that would have been a mistake if I didn't look again.

I've seen a few people use a sharpie to mark the top to prevent future errors.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
FireRunt
2014 WK 

Not looking for sympathy....just wanted to tell ya what I did

Last edited by Jackal01; 02-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Edited for language. No vulgarity. Your one warning.
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
vgrift
2014 WK 

Hmmm, Note to self: Rig up an l.e.d. under hood light.
vgrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Both caps on my WJ are yellow, along with a few other things. Who doesn't verify the right tank before putting fluid in it? Especially if you've never done it before on that vehicle?
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

wow get out the flame suit for this crowd today...

have I ever filled the wrong fluid, no, I am super type A.

The truth is that a well designed vehicle would use a diff color for each, would make them easier to see and use. If that essential, no. Is it optimal, yes.

The OP made a simple mistake and was man enough to post it to help others. Everyone else is just being small at this point (or at least come uop with new jokes)

dismount soapbox

OP, dont listen to the goons
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Good thing the oil fill cap isn't yellow.
2kg4u is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
dcbullets

Hey man, I did the same thing but noticed it right away. I took a turkey baster and siphoned it out. It was pretty easy to make that mistake, not sure why everyone is being a sarcastic ahole. I've seen a few posts on here and the other site about this, so it does happen. It's nice of you to post this to make sure it doesn't happen to other people.
dcbullets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.