Winter prep spending Oct.-Jan. In Chicago - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Winter prep spending Oct.-Jan. In Chicago

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

Winter prep spending Oct.-Jan. In Chicago

Ok, so I grew up in Texas and now Socal. I have no idea what it takes to winterize our Grand Cherokees. I'm planning on having the 60k mile service done to my car: Brakes, Brake fluid, radiator fluid, transmission and axle fluid, spark plugs, Seafoam, and a heavy waxing.

I have OEM Michelin's on and the appropriate snow chains in the trunk.

What else should I do to prepare for a Chicago winter?

Edit: I have mopar mats all around!

Last edited by Tortuqa; 09-24-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Tortuqa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

As a former Chicago resident , I would say you are more then ready . The next important stuff comes next Spring . A thorough wash and wax will remove all the accumulated salt from your Jeep .

I am assuming you are using Mopar or Weathertec mats to protect the interior.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
2kg4u
2014 WK 

I would invest in an extra set of wheels and mount a nice set of snow tires on them. I run Michelin X-Ice, but others use Blizzaks. All sorts of people are now going to chime in and say they never used snow tires and due to their superior driving skills they never had a problem, but I ran snow tires last year and the difference to the stock tires is nothing short of amazing. They will keep you out of situations where you have to use the snow chains. In your case, if you do not have a lot of experience driving in snow, I would say snow tires are a must.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, there is really nothing to do, nothing special, the jeep is already winterized. The hot climates were tougher on fluids than the cold. Just follow the owners manual for service recommendation, nothing extra necessary or even useful from a winterization POV. Snow chains are not really that useful in Chicago but a set of snow tires would be better. Spend your money in tires instead of the other items. A good wash/wax is always good. Oh, make sure you have winter windshield washer fluid as plain water will freeze. Floor mats are also useful for keeping mud/slush off the carpets.... oh and don't forget a long handle ice/snow scraper.

If you don't normally wear boots, perhaps throw a set in the back in case you need them along with an extra blanket or two, some warm gloves and a hat. Try not to let your fuel tank run below 1/4-1/2 as running out of gas in a traffic jam in the cold is no picnic.
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
modernblueWK

The oem michelin tires are just plain scary on snow and ice. Do yourself a favor snd get some winter tires.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
blackfoot

Forget the chains,snow tires are the way to go for day to day driving(you don,t have to take them off and put them back on). Put together a survival kit in case you get stranded. Last year the outer drive in Chi. was shut down for hours with many cars stuck.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
modernblueWK

I would invest in bulletproofing and kevlar in chicago.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I would invest in bulletproofing and kevlar in chicago.
LMAO, I like the way you think. Plus invest in lead.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
modernblueWK

No way if you shoot back in Chicago you go to prison but the gang members dont.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Well only in Chicago. No right to protect yourself with equal means of protection. Just stand there and dodge bullets like a duck in the shooting galleries.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.