Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Window Tint

22K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Jackal01 
#1 ·
Tint laws aside, what % tint do you have?

I am getting ready to tint my windows, but am debating whether to just match the factory tint on the back windows to the front and brow, or going darker in the back and like 35% on the front and brow...

I'm in Arkansas and I know that the law here says:

• Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Rear Window Must allow more than 10% of light in.

I have a 08 Avenger with 35% all around and have never had any issues with the LEO's since I bought it new.

Also, does having the back window tinted have any impact on the auto-dimming mirror?

I'm just trying to get some opinions, both good and bad.. :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#36 ·
Right... Because you guys have had the tint I have on my vehicle and know just how difficult (or easy) it is to see. Don't speak of things which you have not experienced. I can see just fine. I can assure you my window tint is more harmless than the people who are texting and driving. Funny how Im one of the few drivers who stops for emergency vehicles :rolleyes:

#38 ·
As a defensive driver, when I pull up to an intersection I want to be able to see the other driver see me. A vehicle with a tinted window concerns me because I have no idea if the driver sees me or not.

#39 ·
I am the opposite. I prefer not to be seen. I believe that nobody has a "right" or the inherent ability to see me. What a stranger cannot see benefits me. If they cannot see who I am, what I have in the vehicle or what have you only gives me an edge.

Granted my tint now a person can see. I am passed my days of limo tint all around but in those days I loved it. People didn't mess with me (not that they do now). Then again, this was on my Explorer which was used in the FD/EMS which was blacked out with interior and hideaway lights so I looked like a PD/gov't vehicle if a person was privy to that sorta stuff. I just felt safer. Didn't have to worry about someone seeing my Sig sitting underneath my leg, not that I do now since it is a black gun on black seats in a tinted vehicle.

Just a personal preference thing. I am a "mysterious" person by nature (introvert) and like to keep as much as I can to myself.

#40 ·
2kg4u said:
As a defensive driver, when I pull up to an intersection I want to be able to see the other driver see me. A vehicle with a tinted window concerns me because I have no idea if the driver sees me or not.
What happens when said driver is wearing sunglasses? You can't see where someone's eyes are looking and it's best not to assume if someone can see you. As with riding a motorcycle, you should assume that nobody sees you and be prepared to react. That's true defensive driving.

#45 ·
I swear, most of the time this forum likes to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Of course its nice to see the whites of their eyes, but just seeing their head pointed in my direction is better than seeing them look in the other direction. And, of course, just seeing them looking in your direction is not enough information to assume they see you, but it is one more element that factors into your decision to proceed. I still maintain it is safer all around when front side windows are not tinted so you can see the driver of the other car. Seeing their head pointed in my direction (with or without sunglasses) is in itself insufficient information to proceed, but seeing them look in another direction is an indication you need to be even more careful.

Ask a police officer what they think about tinted windows where they can't see the driver.

Ask an emergency services provider what they think about getting people out of cars that have been in an accident, when there is a film of tint on the driver's window.

#46 ·
Ask a police officer what they think about tinted windows where they can't see the driver.

Ask an emergency services provider what they think about getting people out of cars that have been in an accident, when there is a film of tint on the driver's window.
Amen! Nothing like walking up to a blacked out vehicle during a traffic stop in a bad neighborhood and not being able to see what is going on in the car and how many occupants are in it. Or the fun of trying to break a window open so you can save someone's life, but not being able to break it open fast enough because you can't get the glass to shatter off.

I'm not hating on the tint at all. I do think it looks really cool and would love the look on my car. It could just be very troublesome at the same time.

#49 ·
As a fire fighter (hats off to you my friend) when walking up to a situation where you have to extract someone from a vehicle, is it not best if you can see inside so you can better assess the situation?

Is the first responder always a fully equipped fire fighter?

#50 ·
I am gonna go off topic just to elaborate on this so others can understand that don't.

Most FDs are similarly setup but also some run completely different setups so it may not apply to a particular dept. Our pumpers/engines (the main truck you see as opposed to a ladder truck/tanker) have your regular firefighting tools ie: axes, haligan bars, pry bars of sorts, saws, etc and a pump, water tank, hose lines, etc. Also, our pumpers each have a Combi-tool/cutter (AKA the jaws of life). Hydraulic cutter/spreader in one tool. A pumper alone can open pretty much anything. We have rescue trucks (they look like pumpers but without water, pump, firefighting abilities) that their sole purpose is to open things up be it buildings, vehicles, trench rescue, high angle rescue, etc. A rescue is inherently better suited to open things up. When we have a MVA (motor vehicle accident) a pumper is usually the only truck on it because most are not entrapments (occupants cannot escape/extricate themselves). If we have a MVA with entrapment, a lot more trucks are on the call. A couple pumpers, a couple rescues. If a vehicle has multiple layers of film/tint it may hang us up but it won't prevent us from gaining entry. Not enough to dislike tint at least.

It is absolutely beneficial to see immediately what we have but usually with entrapments, glass has already busted from the impact/rollover. We can just see through the windshield. If there is an entrapment a lot times the doors and roof are taken off. We like a lot of room to work so we will do what it takes to make extricating the PT the easiest and safest for them. Tint on vehicles has never been an issue for me or any of my guys. I am of the mindset that as humans we are entitled to many things. One of them being privacy. I know many states have laws against tint on vehicles or requirements for the front. In Texas, anything darker than 30% is illegal, IIRC. I had limo tint for about 8 months on a vehicle I had. It was too dark for night time driving and I am glad I ripped it off. Day time, it was nice because the inside was cooler and nobody could see me or look in the truck while it was parked (scoping it out to burglarize). I am all good with tint dark enough to keep a person from being seen easily (subjective term) but if it so dark that you can't even tell if someone is in there (limo tint) then that is unreasonable and dangerous for the driver. Granted, if they have limo tint and they pull out in front of someone and cause a MVA then they deserve every punishment there is but unfortunately it would be at someone else's expense also. It is just a fine line between what is considered a natural, born right and something that should be illegal.

I would like to get this back on topic shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.