Window Tint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Window Tint

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Wk Window Tint

Tint laws aside, what % tint do you have?

I am getting ready to tint my windows, but am debating whether to just match the factory tint on the back windows to the front and brow, or going darker in the back and like 35% on the front and brow...

I'm in Arkansas and I know that the law here says:

• Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Rear Window Must allow more than 10% of light in.

I have a 08 Avenger with 35% all around and have never had any issues with the LEO's since I bought it new.

Also, does having the back window tinted have any impact on the auto-dimming mirror?

I'm just trying to get some opinions, both good and bad..

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

In Texas, we can essentially have any tint that we want, on the rear and side windows. Fronts must not be less than 25%. For me, I have always gone the darkest that I could go on all the windows, except the windshield. I do not like eyebrow tint, that is what sunglasses are for and the drop down visors if need-be. I don't look out my side windows, except the fronts and the rear I can see just fine through limo-on-top-of-factory-tint. I don't like people looking at me when I am in my vehicles hence the darkest I can go legally. All that said, very dark tint can be scary for LEOs because they/we cannot see in thus I sometimes feel like a hypocrite because of that.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Do you have the auto-dimming mirror? If so do you just shut it off since the tint is so dark?
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

On my WK2 I do not have it but on the '12 Explorer, before the Jeep, I had the auto-dim mirror along with limo on the rear windows, the mirror still functioned the same as before the aftermarket tint. But I turned it off after a while because I would rather see something coming up behind me than to have it too dark and get hit or not see an emergency vehicle behind me that needs to get through.

Unread 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

I just had this done today, 20% tint on the front. Note that it's very difficult to get the tint to properly adhere to the "dot matrix" you will find along the edges and center brow of the OEM windshield.

z0lt3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
I just had this done today, 20% tint on the front. Note that it's very difficult to get the tint to properly adhere to the "dot matrix" you will find along the edges and center brow of the OEM windshield.
Is the 20% just on the front, or all around? The back looks pretty dark, but it might just be the picture.. Looks good btw!
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris View Post
Is the 20% just on the front, or all around? The back looks pretty dark, but it might just be the picture.. Looks good btw!
The rear/sides will be darker because of the factory tint, if he had factory tint on before the aftermarket tint.

Unread 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris View Post
It's actually 15% Solarguard Lifetime tint, on the front only. I was told this is equivalent to 20% in other brands, which is what most posts suggest. No additional tint on the rear window (factory only).
z0lt3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

I did 20% on all 7 windows and the strip along the top of the windshield. I also did 4% on the sun roof.

I have to say it was great having the A/C on low driving through the desert in Nevada and Arizona.

Unread 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
briggsJeep

I bought my GC with 15% tint on the front windows in SC, and when I took it to be inspected here in NC I was told it had to go. We ripped it off at the inspection station so I could pass. Let me tell you...cleaning that adhesive off the windows is not fun.

Here in NC we can only go to 35% on the fronts, but as dark as we want in the back.
briggsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

I plan on going with legal tint on the front doors only. That works best here in TN. If I lived in AZ or Fla I would go darker. The problem with darker on the front doors is seeing well at night. That could become a legal issue if you get in an accident.
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
AZAltitude12
2012 WK 

In Arizona 35% is legal on the front side windows. I did 50% cuz I don't like to be legal, plus the rear privacy glass is = to 50% (i was told) and I wanted to to look the same all around.
AZAltitude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
doz
2012 WK 

Privacy glass on the rear factory. 5% all around (over PG) with 35% on the entire windshield.

doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

Hello, does anyone have a stock number or color match for the factory tint?

I was quoted 250 bucks for the front driver and passenger window and that made me want to install it myself
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

A good estimate should be $25 per window and about $50 for the rear. There is no reason for it to be that high even with brand name film: ie Suntek.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.